Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
LOL I bet there are some people at Ford freaking out since they are getting calls about the MME and various parts (charger mentioned above) and the car still won't be available for 6+ months.

I would hazard a guess that they weren't expecting this kind of response to the car and thus weren't/aren't ready for it (hence the lack of communication and the "what? we're not doing that yet" responses when called).

Ford's connected station isn't too far off from Clipper Creek's HCS-50 at $625: https://store.clippercreek.com/residential/hcs-50-hcs-50P-40-amp-ev-charging-station

It doesn't come with WiFi or any other fancy features--just a simple EVSE but Clipper Creek is very well known for their solid EVSE's (I have an LCS-20 that I keep in the car for campground charging).
I agree. I did not care for some of the Amazon reviews of the JuiceBox 40. Bad reviews coming from people who have had warranty problems.
Sponsored

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
• 48A/11KW power level provides faster charging than 32A chargers
There’s a downside to that which some people might not be aware of. My electric utility (IREA in Colorado) charges a monthly fee based on my peak usage for that month, so it’s in my best interest to reduce that...and opt for 32A over 48! I’m not sure how prevalent this fee is but imagine as EVs become more widespread, more utilities might consider it. They only started imposing this fee when I had solar panels installed on my roof, so maybe it’s just related to that....

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
$799 for the charge station? Thanks for the good laugh Ford.
Teehee..........you should've seen how much a Ford branded Aerovironment Level 2 EVSE was back in 2013!! I believe it was between $800 - $1k, if memory is correct.

In terms of cost and quality, can't go wrong with a ClipperCreek.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Ford's connected station isn't too far off from Clipper Creek's HCS-50 at $625: https://store.clippercreek.com/residential/hcs-50-hcs-50P-40-amp-ev-charging-station

It doesn't come with WiFi or any other fancy features--just a simple EVSE but Clipper Creek is very well known for their solid EVSE's (I have an LCS-20 that I keep in the car for campground charging).
It's more comparable with Clipper creek HCS-60. Both HCS-60 and the Ford one are 48A. Being over 40A in US, plug is not an option, and they are both hardwired. FWIW, HCS-60 sells at $899.

With these in mind, the $799 price tag is reasonable.

For me personally, the 32A charger Ford provides for free is good enough. If I end up find it necessary to carry the charger in the car often, I may buy a second charger (another 32A mobile charger from Ford or a 3rd party model). But I'm definitely not buying a hardwired one.

Last edited:

GTMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GTPE in DMG
Country flag
Here is another option that I found on Amazon.
ChargePoint Home Flex Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger up to 50 Amp, 240V, Level 2 WiFi Enabled $699.00
Here is a link to it. Chargepoint

Looks interesting but the only issue that I can see is that it has to have a WiFi connection to charge.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There’s a downside to that which some people might not be aware of. My electric utility (IREA in Colorado) charges a monthly fee based on my peak usage for that month, so it’s in my best interest to reduce that...and opt for 32A over 48! I’m not sure how prevalent this fee is but imagine as EVs become more widespread, more utilities might consider it. They only started imposing this fee when I had solar panels installed on my roof, so maybe it’s just related to that....
We have the same goofy peak "demand charge" with our United Power billing that started last year. The kWh used during the highest 15-minute period of the month is billed at $1.50/kWh, while the rest of my kWh is at $0.0995. Seems like a really weird methodology to pick out the peak 15-minute period where something unusual is happening.

For my last bill, it was just over 8 kWh used in the peak 15-min period (5:45pm). Obviously the A/C was on. Probably the oven too. Maybe the dyer, etc.

A home charger drawing 240V 32A pulls 7.6 kW per hour (about 2 kWh in 15 minutes). For that example, it doesn't come close to becoming the peak 15 minute period of the month, but I would want to make sure I never charge during that same period so it added to the existing peak. Scheduling the car to start charging after 9pm or something should be good enough (assuming the peak is usually late afternoon).

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
We have the same goofy peak "demand charge" with our United Power billing that started last year. The kWh used during the highest 15-minute period of the month is billed at $1.50/kWh, while the rest of my kWh is at $0.0995. Seems like a really weird methodology to pick out the peak 15-minute period where something unusual is happening.

For my last bill, it was just over 8 kWh used in the peak 15-min period (5:45pm). Obviously the A/C was on. Probably the oven too. Maybe the dyer, etc.

A home charger drawing 240V 32A pulls 7.6 kW per hour (about 2 kWh in 15 minutes). For that example, it doesn't come close to becoming the peak 15 minute period of the month, but I would want to make sure I never charge during that same period so it added to the existing peak. Scheduling the car to start charging after 9pm or something should be good enough (assuming the peak is usually late afternoon).
Semi related read: https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/89

"Demand charges are presently the largest operating cost barrier to public EV infrastructure deployment, representing up to 80 percent of a given electricity bill."

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For me personally, the 32A charger Ford provides is good enough. If I end up find it necessary to carry the charger in the car often, I may buy a second charger. But I'm definitely not buying a hardwired one.
Me neither. In fact, I'll probably just start off with the 120v outlet already in the garage and see how that goes before deciding whether to even bother adding a 240V outlet. That'll add 40-50 miles/night. Should be pretty easy to keep it at 80% SOC nightly just from 120V, since we're retired and rarely even drive 30 miles in a day. The car doesn't even leave the garage a few days each week (where it could easily catch up if we had a few busy days in a row). Plus we have an ICE vehicle as backup anytime it's needed.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Scheduling the car to start charging after 9pm or something should be good enough (assuming the peak is usually late afternoon).
This is a nice feature the Leaf has that I hope the Mach E will have, 2 options for timed charging:
1) Start time
2) Departure time

If you normally leave to go to work at 7:30 in the morning, you set the charge to finish at 7:30. The car will decide when to start charging depending on how long it will take to be ready at 7:30. It will also then fire up the climate controls to have the interior temperature comfy, seats pre-heated, whatever, when it's time to go.

The one thing the Leaf doesn't have that I hope the Mach E does is the ability to set the max charging level (80% for example). For normal week days, "be at 80% charge and comfy at 7:30" would be great.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is a nice feature the Leaf has that I hope the Mach E will have, 2 options for timed charging:
1) Start time
2) Departure time

If you normally leave to go to work at 7:30 in the morning, you set the charge to finish at 7:30. The car will decide when to start charging depending on how long it will take to be ready at 7:30. It will also then fire up the climate controls to have the interior temperature comfy, seats pre-heated, whatever, when it's time to go.

The one thing the Leaf doesn't have that I hope the Mach E does is the ability to set the max charging level (80% for example). For normal week days, "be at 80% charge and comfy at 7:30" would be great.
We've seen charge scheduling times as a feature on the Sync4 screens. Not sure what all options it has, but it definitely has scheduling in general.

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
In what way?
250kwh is very little energy considering the investment. Think of releasing $60k ICE and making a press release on how everyone gets a gas card with three fill ups with the purchase of this vehicle to learn how to use gas stations.
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E customers in the U.S. will receive 250 kilowatt-hours of complimentary charging through FordPass Rewards – the equivalent of approximately three to five full DC fast charges – with Electrify America after purchasing their vehicle

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
250kwh is very little energy considering the investment. Think of releasing $60k ICE and making a press release on how everyone gets a gas card with three fill ups with the purchase of this vehicle to learn how to use gas stations.
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E customers in the U.S. will receive 250 kilowatt-hours of complimentary charging through FordPass Rewards – the equivalent of approximately three to five full DC fast charges – with Electrify America after purchasing their vehicle
Exactly, and exactly how many ICE vehicles come with any sort of gas card beyond the full tank of gas when you drive away?
Sponsored