silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
250kwh is very little energy considering the investment. Think of releasing $60k ICE and making a press release on how everyone gets a gas card with three fill ups with the purchase of this vehicle to learn how to use gas stations.
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E customers in the U.S. will receive 250 kilowatt-hours of complimentary charging through FordPass Rewards ā€“ the equivalent of approximately three to five full DC fast charges ā€“ with Electrify America after purchasing their vehicle
I've never seen Ford offer free refills for a legacy Mustang, let alone the "investment" on say, a $60k GT350. I'm confused why you think any of us are owed more than 0kWh?
Sponsored

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
That is highway robbery. Even Tesla is $475 or $500 depending on model. Who would pay $800!
Tesla's 48 amps EVSE price is indeed awesome. However, it seems that third-party 48amps evse is not much cheaper than the Ford OEM one (Juicebox $699, ClipperCreek $899). If it is highway robbery, Ford is not alone.

Gladly, Ford provides a 32 amps mobile EVSE for free. On the other hand, Tesla also provides a 32 amps mobile EVSE for free, but charges an extra $35 if you want to use it with more than 120V/12A.

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
I've never seen Ford offer free refills for a legacy Mustang, let alone the "investment" on say, a $60k GT350. I'm confused why you think any of us are owed more than 0kWh?
Itā€™s the idea of making a press release about it. Iā€™m sure they didnā€™t make a fuzz about the gas card for the GT350.

Whatā€™s the value to the prospective buyers in this? Nothing, itā€™s just a way to make noise. I would had said ā€˜coolā€™ if it was 10x the free electricity, still close to nothing in value to the producer but an actual value to the user paying those higher $/kwh fees.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Itā€™s just enough to make sure you sign up for the FordPass charging network.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Itā€™s the idea of making a press release about it. Iā€™m sure they didnā€™t make a fuzz about the gas card for the GT350.

Whatā€™s the value to the prospective buyers in this? Nothing, itā€™s just a way to make noise. I would had said ā€˜coolā€™ if it was 10x the free electricity, still close to nothing in value to the producer but an actual value to the user paying those higher $/kwh fees.
So Ford announced that they're going to give buyers approximately $100 worth of charging to try the network to see if they like it. What are you so worked up about?
This is like when a manufacturer announces they'll give you 3 months of free satellite radio to see if you like it. If you don't want it, don't use it. Or apparently, complain that 3 months is pointless and they should've given you two years for free.
I wasn't expecting any free charging -- I'll sign up for it, and I'll use the 250kwh at some point. I'm happy.

Oh, and your comment that they could've provided 10 times the free electricity at close to nothing in value to the producer makes no sense. Ford has to compensate Electrify Am. for the $1000 worth of charging it would give Ford buyers. Again, it's like complaining that they gave you 3 months of free radio, when they could've given you 30 months at no cost to Ford.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
250kwh is nice, and I didn't expect it so it is just a little bonus, and yes I know the intention is to give you a few free charges so you sign up and get used to using public charging. I have no problem with that, and don't understand the complaint about that. My complaint (and you knew I'd have one) is that they didn't tell you all the networks (our non-US north american friends might want to know that), and again they didn't notify those of us who signed up for the "keep me informed" link. Seriously, how *#%@ing hard is it to do a mail merge for these people??? They explicitly stated in the welcome email 7 months ago that they'd be sending out charging network information, and once again failed.
</rant>

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh, and your comment that they could've provided 10 times the free electricity at close to nothing in value to the producer makes no sense. Ford has to compensate Electrify Am. for the $1000 worth of charging it would give Ford buyers. Again, it's like complaining that they gave you 3 months of free radio, when they could've given you 30 months at no cost to Ford.
Exactly. Plus the other point is to help give people a little taste of something the vast majority have never had to engage in before -- charging a BEV at a public charger. That's where it's totally different than giving a gas card. Everyone that's ever driven has refueled with gas before. That's nothing new. It's something we all did when learning to drive as teenagers. But only a few% have ever charged a BEV before. For the vast majority it'll be brand new.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
250kwh is nice, and I didn't expect it so it is just a little bonus, and yes I know the intention is to give you a few free charges so you sign up and get used to using public charging. I have no problem with that, and don't understand the complaint about that. My complaint (and you knew I'd have one) is that they didn't tell you all the networks (our non-US north american friends might want to know that), and again they didn't notify those of us who signed up for the "keep me informed" link. Seriously, how *#%@ing hard is it to do a mail merge for these people??? They explicitly stated in the welcome email 7 months ago that they'd be sending out charging network information, and once again failed.
</rant>
Agree on the poor communication with reservation holders part. This would have been an ideal thing for an email blast to reservation holders. Instead, anyone other than the handful of us on these forums probably won't even see the press release.

But regarding buyers outside the US, this press release looks like it doesn't apply to them. Since it explicitly references Electrify America, it must be the US market press release. There may or may not be a similar inclusion for other countries, but that's gonna depend on what Ford works out with their charging networks. And those Ford divisions would presumably send any such announcements out for them.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That "keep me informed" thing I wonder why it is there at all, the first email iv'e got from ford.ca was a publicity for the Mach-E on the 29th of may, a good 6 months after launch. So whatever concerns about free 250 kW charging at EA or EC or a free 2 years Ford pass to those networks, well we'll have to wait and see. :confused:

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Itā€™s the idea of making a press release about it.
?
I see nothing wrong with this press release, they're keeping everyone in the loop. On the flip side if they don't communicate this info, folks will still get upset, tough crowd these days.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
One thing we haven't touched on with this announcement is that this means Electrify America will have moved to a kWh pricing structure by the time the MME comes out.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One thing we haven't touched on with this announcement is that this means Electrify America will have moved to a kWh pricing structure by the time the MME comes out.
I wouldn't necessarily read that into this. It could simply be a dollar amount that represents 250 kWh at EA's prevailing rate and the MMEs average charge-time rate.

Keep in mind too that it's still illegal in many states for EA to charge per kWh. They're going to have to have a way to convert this to per-min pricing in those states anyway.

Ford may be saying "250 kWh" in the press release, but the actual implementation may not be that direct. (Which would actually be consistent with their often fuzzy press releases.)

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I wouldn't necessarily read that into this. It could simply be a dollar amount that represents 250 kWh at EA's prevailing rate and the MMEs average charge-time rate.

Keep in mind too that it's still illegal in many states for EA to charge per kWh. They're going to have to have a way to convert this to per-min pricing in those states anyway.

Ford may be saying "250 kWh" in the press release, but the actual implementation may not be that direct. (Which would actually be consistent with their often fuzzy press releases.)
They'll just slap the standard disclaimers about where it's applicable. For states that don't allow it, as you say, they will implement some sort of approximation, I'm sure.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They'll just slap the standard disclaimers about where it's applicable. For states that don't allow it, as you say, they will implement some sort of approximation, I'm sure.
Yep. I think EA said something like "before 2023" for implementing the per-kWh switch, but that's a big window. Maybe some states will convert by the end of this year when the MME starts deliveries, although could be a few years yet too.
Sponsored