deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Hi all,

Been awhile.

At one point I had a MME on order, cancelled because of the long wait, and went a different way. Now, however, I’m rethinking that a bit, and I’m looking at two vehicles: Lexus NX 450h and a California Route 1.

The big difference is that one is fun, and cheaper after tax credits, and one is reliable.

The MME basically trades fun for the risk of it sitting at a dealer, who you probably didn’t buy it from, for a month. LexI (how do you plural Lexus?) usually don’t park themselves on the side of road and go on strike for a month but they’re also reliably boring.

Anyways, as a one car owner, who should still work, but maybe doesn’t need to, I’m interested in your thoughts. Is the reliability vs fun trade off worth it?
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have had my Mach for one year with zero down time. Of course many have had the HVBJB issue but for cars manufactured after May of last year that is no longer a problem ( one failure that has been confirmed I believe on forum). My guess is reliability will begin to increase. It does seem like there are quite a few that have regular software glitches and maybe I haven’t had any as I don’t use PAAK, Android Auto, or Apple Car Play or whatever. Just my 2 cents.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
We drove 750 mile round trip twice on each of 2 MME and we love them. We did not have any mechanical problems with the cars but we ran into several difficult situations at charging stations and the app. Once we understand the charging difficulties, they are mostly avoidable and fixable. These cars have some glitches. After a big update, MME can throw some tantrums. A premium AWD seems to have more glitches than a select. For examples, the premium garage door remote was a pain in the rear to program. Screen on the premium has turn dark several times while driving. Screen freeze during the start up several times when the car is parked outside with temperature above 75 C. I have never owned a Route 1, so I cannot comment on the glitches of Route 1.

If you decide to go with a Route 1 with blue 🔵 color, you will have to get use to people following you and starring at you and your MME in town and on highway.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I have been a mostly-Toyota owner for nearly three decades. Our 2022 Mustang is my first Ford since I sold my 1968 Cougar a long, long time ago. I haven't had any problems with my Mustang and I have no fears that it will be down for anywhere near month. I just completed a nearly 2600 mile round trip drive with zero issues and would do it again without hesitation. I have no anxiety about my Mustang and I'm looking forward to replacing my Toyota Tacoma in the future with a BEV or PHEV pickup truck. Maybe the F-150, maybe something else.

That said, if you have anxiety about it, is it really going to be a fun vehicle to drive?

OP
OP

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Thanks for the replies so far. It's also about $12K less than a NX.

Regarding the color, was thinking Cyber Orange, so, unless it's parked next to a bus, it'll get noticed.

mhayes66

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Flex, 2011 Ford Fiesta
Country flag
I have a 2022 GT Cyber Orange that I picked up in May of 2022. I have 23k miles on the car, I drive a lot, and have not had one issue. My wife and I took the car on a 4500 mile trip from NH -> KS - > ND and back and it was a trouble free trip. The only complaint was not the car but the charging network, I had to plan my route where chargers would be, which added hours. But this was only an issue in KS, MN, ND. It was perfectly fine the rest of the time. There were only a few times I had to wait for a charger.
I would recommend the Mach e, but it really is best if you can charge at home.

OP
OP

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I would recommend the Mach e, but it really is best if you can charge at home.
I'm working on that now, trying to figure out the rebates, cost, how long it would take to get one installed. I know there's a 30% federal rebate of some sort and apparently something local to my zip code in California.

Considering I drive 1 every day, a RT-1 is really the only way to go, and that it's the only thing you can order besides a GT right now.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'm working on that now, trying to figure out the rebates, cost, how long it would take to get one installed. I know there's a 30% federal rebate of some sort and apparently something local to my zip code in California.

Considering I drive 1 every day, a RT-1 is really the only way to go, and that it's the only thing you can order besides a GT right now.
Nice handle, BTW. I have fetched up many of your namesakes. 🤪🐩

The 30% rebate is for employing an electrician to install the EVSE. Up to $1K rebate, so you get the full 30% up to $3300-ish. 😊🐩

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Hi all,

Been awhile.

At one point I had a MME on order, cancelled because of the long wait, and went a different way. Now, however, I’m rethinking that a bit, and I’m looking at two vehicles: Lexus NX 450h and a California Route 1.

The big difference is that one is fun, and cheaper after tax credits, and one is reliable.

The MME basically trades fun for the risk of it sitting at a dealer, who you probably didn’t buy it from, for a month. LexI (how do you plural Lexus?) usually don’t park themselves on the side of road and go on strike for a month but they’re also reliably boring.

Anyways, as a one car owner, who should still work, but maybe doesn’t need to, I’m interested in your thoughts. Is the reliability vs fun trade off worth it?
Why would you assume a newer model year would be sitting at the dealer being fixed? I wouldn't even be worried about that. I've got a '21 and have basically had no issues. Only dealer visits I've had is cause the badge fell off when I was washing it and I got the tires rotated at 10k miles. Pick the fun one!

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Why would you assume a newer model year would be sitting at the dealer being fixed? I wouldn't even be worried about that. I've got a '21 and have basically had no issues. Only dealer visits I've had is cause the badge fell off when I was washing it and I got the tires rotated at 10k miles. Pick the fun one!
I mean, if you read this forum, there are so many people coming in from weird places... Some seem to be here to complain about the Mustang as if their brand-T vehicles are threatened by the existence of another EV; there are some legitimate concerns, but they get blown out of statistical proportion on this website; there are people who like to be angry about every little thing; there are also some legitimate concerns about charging while on road trips, though I personally have never experienced major issues with charging; there are some major issues for a few people, and they need a place to vent and look for help, but it turns into an "all Mustangs" perception...

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I have a RX450h and had a RX400h before that. Oddly it feels like Toyota has been cutting corners in places I didnt expect. my '21 450h sounds hallow. When you close the door it sounds like a Carolla door. Not the nice solid door I had in my 08 400h. Road noise is more in the new RX450h and the rear is really under dampened as it bounces all over the place and sways like crazy. I'm disappointed in my 450h coming from a 9 yr older version of it I think it's more of looks than function and quality. Then again it's a covid car so what corners were cut was probably a function of the world rather than engineers being told to save a few pennies on sound deadening.

My MME isn't a shining example of whatever a crossover EV should be, but it's got it's qualities as well. $ for $ I think the MME is the better buy.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hi all,

Been awhile.

Why not look at the Lexus RZ450e in addition to the Mach E. In my mind, if you’re going Hybrid you might as well go all the way and go with a BEV.

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
No one can tell you what is more important to you. You have to weigh the pros and cons of "fun vs reliability" yourself. However I will make a couple points; doesn't matter how universally reliable a brand is, you can still get a lemon (have done it myself twice) which ruins the whole brand for you. Conversely, no matter how many people are having issues with a brand/model, there will be a large portion that never have them. As far as charging network issues, any BEV you get that isn't Tesla is going to have to deal with the sub-par charging network.

OP
OP

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
21 - 6 recalls
22 - 3 recalls

Issues with dealers, issues with cars being bricked, etc.

It's a real concern with this car and Ford in general. Ford is in the bottom 1/3 of reliability, next to Tesla, Lexus is at the top.

Mach-E loses reliability recommendation | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

That said, I do agree in the respect that forums are filled with problems, not successes.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Some Mach Es have had catastrophic failure, some just have chipped windshields. That's just the way it is.
Sponsored