Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The 21P22 software update program is ending on November 30th 2022. I strongly recommend anyone with a 2021 Mach-E built before Sept 30th 2021 get these updates applied (if you haven't already) while they are free. They provide many improvements in software made since your vehicle was built (such as PAAK). After the program expires, it will be much harder to get your dealer to update these modules without charging you.

Original forum topic: Customer Satisfaction Program 21P22 - Software Calibration Update

Due to current dealer service backlogs, try to schedule with your dealer ASAP if you still want 21P22 done! You might have to wait a month to get in.

How do I check if I'm eligible for the 21P22 updates?
  1. Go here: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do
  2. Enter your VIN.
  3. Look at the list of Outstanding Field Service Actions for your vehicle.
  4. If you see 21P22 in the list (see below), then you are eligible for the updates.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Reminder - 21P22 Software Update Program Ends Nov 30th ETIS 21P22

What if I don't see 21P22 listed?

Then it was either done already, or your vehicle is too new to qualify.

I've gotten some OTA updates, do I still need this?

YES! OTAs do not update nearly as many modules as 21P22 does. Most OTAs only update one module, 21P22 updates up to 13 modules. 21P22 also updates modules that have never had an OTA update yet, including the door modules, BCM, and RFA modules.

Will all these modules be updated by OTA eventually?

I wouldn't count on it at this point. Ford is assuming you'd come in for 10k services or recalls so would get these updates during the past year, meaning they wouldn't have to OTA them.

Will this improve PAAK?

YES! The latest RFA module update makes PAAK much more reliable. Significant improvements have been made in the software since your vehicle was built. PAAK is now reliable enough for daily use. I've been using PAAK daily for months, I never carry a fob and it hasn't been a problem.

Will this improve charging?

YES! AC charging speed is slightly improved. DC charging is faster above 80% (charge curve update). Compatibility with certain brands of DC chargers is improved. If you've ever encountered a DC charger that didn't work on the Mach-E but did for other cars, the latest OBCC update might fix that. Battery capacity will be increased to 70/91 kWh with the buffer adjustment.

Will this improve 12V battery issues?

It may. The latest version of the BCM software improves 12V management and some drain scenarios.

What modules are updated?
  • Powertrain modules - Front/rear motors, battery control module
  • Brake module (ABS)
  • On-board AC charger module
  • DC-fast charge control module
  • Door latch modules
  • Body/lights control module
  • PAAK module
These are common names. See the list in the original topic for the official module names.

What if some of these modules have already been updated?

Not a problem! Modules that are already up to date will be skipped. In some cases there may be another update available since you last updated. Getting 21P22 done should ensure the listed modules are fully updated. You will not hurt anything getting subsequent updates on the same module.

Is this a recall?

No, it's a customer satisfaction program (CSP). You may get it done at the same time as other recalls however.

How long will this take?

The paid labor time is 1.3 hours. You should expect to drop your vehicle off for one day at the dealer. Rentals for 21P22 are not authorized unless you are getting other repairs done.

What if can't get it done before Nov 30th?

Try to schedule with a different dealer. After Nov 30th you will have to pay for updates out of your own pocket. Estimated cost $200-400.

Can I do this myself?

Yes, but it requires special equipment. See the DIY FDRS topic or contact a forum member near you that does updates.

What if I already got 21P22 done?

You only get to do it once. You may be able to get some updates through other CSPs or TSBs if you are experiencing issues.
Sponsored

Last edited:

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Does not improve PAAKā€¦ I had the RFA done in my 2022. Donā€™t get peopleā€™s hopes up ;)

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Does not improve PAAKā€¦ I had the RFA done in my 2022. Donā€™t get peopleā€™s hopes up ;)
That's probably an issue with your phone or RF environment if you have the latest RFA update. You should try another case/phone or test it in a non-populated area away from 2.4 GHz signals. Sometimes you get a bad phone with an antenna issue that makes Bluetooth wonky. I also have a 2022, and an iPhone 12 on iOS 15.6.1 that works almost every time (rare I have to press it twice). If you have AirPods you could probably do a Bluetooth test, depending on the model they should work 100' away from your phone if everything is good.

The original Job 1 '21 PAAK software was so bad, you could be standing there with the FordPass app open in the foreground Bluetooth connected and hit the button 10 times with no response. Then the same thing when you try to start the car. It's way better than that now even if it's not perfect.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Kind of messed up this program has an end date, they didnā€™t even send letters out about it, it specifically says customers wonā€™t be notified

Also one OTA must have included door module updates because mine were already done when I got 21P22 done last month. I think they were part of the BlueCruise series.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Kind of messed up this program has an end date, they didnā€™t even send letters out about it, it specifically says customers wonā€™t be notified

Also one OTA must have included door module updates because mine were already done when I got 21P22 done last month. I think they were part of the BlueCruise series.
Was your car built after June 18th 2021? I think door module updates were only needed on the Job 1's. Job 2 and later had latest door module updates from the factory.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
When I updated the RFA module on my 2022 I saw a huge improvement in PAAK.

Since the update over two months ago I have had one occurrence of no key detected and one time where I had to use the pillar keypad to enter the car. Before the update it was a daily occurrence of both.

The car opens with one button press 99% of the time. It does not matter if I have been away for a little while or a long while. The welcome lights work much more reliably as well, probably in the high 70% of the time.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was your car built after June 18th 2021? I think door module updates were only needed on the Job 1's. Job 2 and later had latest door module updates from the factory.
I have a July 3 2021 build which is a Job 1.5 since I missed out on the extra key fob

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
That's probably an issue with your phone or RF environment if you have the latest RFA update. You should try another case/phone or test it in a non-populated area away from 2.4 GHz signals. Sometimes you get a bad phone with an antenna issue that makes Bluetooth wonky. I also have a 2022, and an iPhone 12 on iOS 15.6.1 that works almost every time (rare I have to press it twice). If you have AirPods you could probably do a Bluetooth test, depending on the model they should work 100' away from your phone if everything is good.

The original Job 1 '21 PAAK software was so bad, you could be standing there with the FordPass app open in the foreground Bluetooth connected and hit the button 10 times with no response. Then the same thing when you try to start the car. It's way better than that now even if it's not perfect.
Are you seriously defending this? Do not blame my phone. I use multiple bluetooth and other wireless accessories without issue everyday.

I have done the following, setting up PAAK multiple times behind these:
  1. Deleted all PAAK settings
  2. Deleted FordPass
  3. Wiped iPhone
  4. RFA updated and on 3.5.2 Power Up
  5. Bought a new iPhone (14 Pro)

Still a flaky mess.

It's a failure and a terrible bruise for Ford. They can't even release it for the Lightning! Why? How is it any different? If it's somehow forked and different from Mach-E, that's another failure.

They have a lot to prove over the next year if they want any skin in the game for technical savvy consumers that want something other than a Tesla.

The fact they gave out 1 key because they had confidence in PAAK really tells you how ignorant they are.

No one should be defending Ford over PAAK issues.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you seriously defending this? Do not blame my phone. I use multiple bluetooth and other wireless accessories without issue everyday.

I have done the following, setting up PAAK multiple times behind these:
  1. Deleted all PAAK settings
  2. Deleted FordPass
  3. Wiped iPhone
  4. RFA updated and on 3.5.2 Power Up
  5. Bought a new iPhone (14 Pro)

Still a flaky mess.

It's a failure and a terrible bruise for Ford. They can't even release it for the Lightning! Why? How is it any different? If it's somehow forked and different from Mach-E, that's another failure.

They have a lot to prove over the next year if they want any skin in the game for technical savvy consumers that want something other than a Tesla.

The fact they gave out 1 key because they had confidence in PAAK really tells you how ignorant they are.

No one should be defending Ford over PAAK issues.
Itā€™s weird how some people like me have no issues and then you have very bad issues. Most PAAK issues are on the phone/app side from what Iā€™ve found. But I use it all the time and I just set it up again for my new iPhone 14 Pro Max and it works fine, so not sure what the variance is all about.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Moeyjar

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This seems to have turned into a PaaK thread, but I do have a question unrelated to that. I have a '21 GT build date of 9/14/21. FordPass doesn't have 21P22 listed, but it also doesn't have 22S41 for the BECM listed there either.

Since I still haven't gotten the recall OTA for the battery contactor, should I ask for 21P22 to be looked at as well? I had heard that the 21 GTs were technically Job 2 and didn't require it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to see if I have other modules that could need updating as part of 21P22...

Edit: Reading later threads in the 21P22 thread, it looks like they expanded the range of build dates to before Oct 1st, 2021, so I would be behind in some modules.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...software-calibration-update.11677/post-421757

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This seems to have turned into a PaaK thread, but I do have a question unrelated to that. I have a '21 GT build date of 9/14/21. FordPass doesn't have 21P22 listed, but it also doesn't have 22S41 for the BECM listed there either.

Since I still haven't gotten the recall OTA for the battery contactor, should I ask for 21P22 to be looked at as well? I had heard that the 21 GTs were technically Job 2 and didn't require it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to see if I have other modules that could need updating as part of 21P22...
21P22 wonā€™t show up in FordPass, but your car is eligible. You should definitely have it done before it expires.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Run your VIN through the checker I linked to in post #1. If 21P22 shows up then you should ask for it.
Sponsored