Remove front door winglets to place on rear doors?

DennisR

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Absolute Black
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Probably on my own on this one, anyone had any thoughts about the possibility of removing the little so called handles on the front doors. I would like them to be like the rear doors, just a personal thing...............
Sponsored

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Probably on my own on this one, anyone had any thoughts about the possibility of removing the little so called handles on the front doors. I would like them to be like the rear doors, just a personal thing...............
Happy New Year Dennis! We talked about this back in March of last year (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/front-door-handle-delete.4254/#post-127626) Those "winglets" aren't just added on, they are part of the door trim. Removing them would create a void and would definitely look like something is missing.

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
I remember reading one article where it was mentioned that during the prototype and testing phase of the vehicle they had the same, or very similar, handles on the rear doors as the fronts. Since nobody bothered using them and they always just grabbed the door and pulled it open, Ford removed them for the production vehicle and put the rubber piece on the door to improve the feel of opening it. In the same article they also mentioned that the handles on the front doors did not impact efficiency or aerodynamics at all because they were in the "wake" of the sideview mirrors for aero purposes.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help OP with their question about adding them...but it is my understanding of why they are not there in the first place.

OP
OP
DennisR

DennisR

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Absolute Black
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I remember reading one article where it was mentioned that during the prototype and testing phase of the vehicle they had the same, or very similar, handles on the rear doors as the fronts. Since nobody bothered using them and they always just grabbed the door and pulled it open, Ford removed them for the production vehicle and put the rubber piece on the door to improve the feel of opening it. In the same article they also mentioned that the handles on the front doors did not impact efficiency or aerodynamics at all because they were in the "wake" of the sideview mirrors for aero purposes.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help OP with their question about adding them...but it is my understanding of why they are not there in the first place.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There's a reason they're called winglets, they provide lift at a certain speed. Duh...

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
They’re also shaped so that the .00000451 newtons of lift they provide is directed down. ;)
I had thought that they reduce the vortexes generated by the rear view mirrors to prevent cars behind us from crashing?? no?

OP
OP
DennisR

DennisR

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Absolute Black
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Happy new year. Misunderstanding i don`t want to put the winglets on the rear i just want to remove them. Looks like the only issue may be with replacing the window trim.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Happy new year. Misunderstanding i don`t want to put the winglets on the rear i just want to remove them. Looks like the only issue may be with replacing the window trim.
In theory you could, but unlike the rear doors, there isn’t a good spot to grab on to.

I love the ergonomics of the front handles, with one hand you hit the button and open the door in one motion. Very cleverly how they did it.

I also like that it keeps you from getting fingerprints everywhere.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
I have
In theory you could, but unlike the rear doors, there isn’t a good spot to grab on to.

I love the ergonomics of the front handles, with one hand you hit the button and open the door in one motion. Very cleverly how they did it.

I also like that it keeps you from getting fingerprints everywhere.
I added the rear door handles from AOSK. Broke one and waiting for a replacement. Easy to install.

Geniusk24

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach E Select AWD, 2012 Subaru Legacy
Country flag