Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was asked by Rod in another thread to explain how I removed the visor warning stickers so here it is. I do many small mods like this on my cars but rarely post them unless asked. I am not a fan of bright yellow and white stickers messing up the look of a black interior and most of my cars/trucks have black interiors. This probably took me no more than 20 minutes for both sides but I've done this many times.

It's much easier to do this project when you have the visors out of the car. They are very easy to remove. Unattached the visor from its support closest to the mirror and move it to about a 45Ėš position. Unsnap the hinge cover with your fingers or a trim tool. There is one T20 Torx screw holding it on. Remove the screw and then tip the visor up towards the roof as there is a curved hook holding it up and it will fall out. There is a wire attached (for the lighted mirror and homelink) and unsnap the connector.

Place the visor on a flat surface and using a hairdryer on high, heat up the sticker until is is very warm. I use a heat gun which makes this go faster but I am extremely careful not to get it too hot otherwise it will ruin the visor. I have done this many times so I am use to using a heat gun. It needs to be quite hot and it is possible some hair dryers won't do the job. Starting at one corner with your fingernail, peel up the sticker. The warmer the sticker, the easier and faster it will peel off. If it is too hard to pull up, it is not hot enough. However again you don't want to get it too hot otherwise could damage the vinyl visor. Since I use a heat gun which is quite hot, after I start one corner, I use needle nose pliers to lift up the rest of the sticker so I don't burn my fingers.

Once the sticker is off, you need to remove the glue left behind. Isopropyl 99% alcohol works great for this. Goo Gone, WD-40, mineral spirits, peanut butter DOES NOT WORK. I soak the glued area for a couple of minutes with the alcohol then using a thin micro fiber cloth that is also wet with alcohol, I start rubbing the glue off. After a few minutes, the visor is all clean and you can reinstall it.

This works best with vinyl visors like in the Mach-E. While this method does work for cloth visors too, it may leave the cloth slightly discolored in the area where the sticker was but still looks much better than the sticker. My GT500 has cloth interior including the headliner and visors and there is slightly a lighter square where the sticker use to be.

In some of the photos you many notice I removed the button panel off of the homelink. That is because when I get a chance I am going to illuminate these buttons and was checking how I am going to add LED's.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers IMG_1206

Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers IMG_1207

Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers IMG_1211

Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers IMG_1213

Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers IMG_1210

Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers IMG_1223

Last edited:

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great information. Thank you. Would love to know how you get the homelink buttons illuminated.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great information. Thank you. Would love to know how you get the homelink buttons illuminated.
I haven't had the time to work on that but hopefully will in a month or so. I did illuminate them in my F-150 quite a few years back but it had a different wiring setup in the visor compared to the one in the Mach-E so it will take a bit more time to figure out.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Perfect. Now I know what Iā€™m doing tomorrow. Thank you so much.

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
This is amazing. Thanks so much for posting. I had thought about doing this but didn't have the guts with the new car.

One of the things I find makes it easier is if you have a scraper or flat blade to run below the sticker once you heat gun it, it makes removal a breeze and usually takes away most of the glue so you have less work with the alcohol. Edit: it was advised not to use any tools as the vinyl is really thin and you don't want to risk damaging it.

What are some of the other mods you've done? Would live to hear those as well!

Last edited:

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Thanks for the great write up. Going to look to see how durable the hinge cover and that connector look. If they donā€™t appear too fragile may just do this. Never have liked those warning stickers.

Do you have a cover over your moonroof or is that how MMEs w/o one look? Or am I seeing the ceiling of your garage through the window?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the great write up. Going to look to see how durable the hinge cover and that connector look. If they donā€™t appear too fragile may just do this. Never have liked those warning stickers.

Do you have a cover over your moonroof or is that how MMEs w/o one look? Or am I seeing the ceiling of your garage through the window?
Bob, the hinge cover and connector are very durable and easy to remove. The hinge cover requires a bit of force but it pops right off. Start at the bottom and then work your way up. You will have no problem. Remember there is a curved support that holds the hinge in the roof so once you remove the screw, you need to tilt the hinge up to allow it to fall out. Gently pull on the wiring and after about 4 inches, you will see a connector wrapped in cloth. You don't need to unravel the cloth, just push on the release at the end and they will come apart.

I took that photo this morning since I never did with the visors in the car without stickers and wanted to show how it looked. You are looking at the ceiling of my garage just a few inches above the car. Also looking out the windshield you can see the ceiling. I am in the middle of changing tires again (I like testing different types and sizes) so have it on my lift. Have a mobile tire guy coming tomorrow to change them out and the car will be back on the road again. ?

IMG_12293000.jpg

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was asked by Rod in another thread to explain how I remove the visor warning stickers so here it is. I do many small mods like this on my cars but rarely post them unless asked. I am not a fan of bright yellow and white stickers messing up the look of a black interior and most of my cars/trucks have black interiors. This probably took me no more than 20 minutes for both sides but I've done this many times.

It's much easier to do this project when you have the visors out of the car. They are very easy to remove. Unattached the visor from its support closest to the mirror and move it to about a 45Ėš position. Unsnap the hinge cover with your fingers or a trim tool. There is one T20 Torx screw holding it on. Remove the screw and then tip the visor up towards the roof as there is a curved hook holding it up and it will fall out. There is a wire attached (for the lighted mirror and homelink) and unsnap the connector.

Place the visor on a flat surface and using a hairdryer on high, heat up the sticker until is is very warm. I use a heat gun which makes this go faster but I am extremely careful not to get it too hot otherwise it will ruin the visor. I have done this many times so I am use to using a heat gun. It needs to be quite hot and it is possible some hair dryers won't do the job. Starting at one corner with your fingernail, peel up the sticker. The warmer the sticker, the easier and faster it will peel off. If it is too hard to pull up, it is not hot enough. However again you don't want to get it too hot otherwise could damage the vinyl visor. Since I use a heat gun which is quite hot, after I start one corner, I use needle nose pliers to lift up the rest of the sticker so I don't burn my fingers.

Once the sticker is off, you need to remove the glue left behind. Isopropyl alcohol works great for this. Goo Gone, WD-40, mineral spirits DOES NOT WORK. I soak the glued area for a couple of minutes with the alcohol then using a thin micro fiber cloth that is also wet with alcohol, I start rubbing the glue off. After a few minutes, the visor is all clean and you can reinstall it.

This works best with vinyl visors like in the Mach-E. While this method does work for cloth visors too, it may leave the cloth slightly discolored in the area where the sticker was but still looks much better than the sticker. My GT500 has cloth interior including the headliner and visors and there is slightly a lighter square where the sticker use to be.

In some of the photos you many notice I removed the button panel off of the homelink. That is because when I get a chance I am going to illuminate these buttons and was checking how I am going to add LED's.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers IMG_12293000

Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers IMG_12293000
Cool.

Have you removed those indecipherable stickers on the back of the back seats? Any suggestion for getting the upholstery even after removing those stickers?

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
I took that photo this morning since I never did with the visors in the car without stickers and wanted to show how it looked. You are looking at the ceiling of my garage just a few inches above the car.
WANT LIFT

I literally have no need for it. But I wants it.

Got a brand/link? Have a good buddy who I could convince to buy one and let me use.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
You are looking at the ceiling of my garage just a few inches above the car.
LOL, that explains it. I thought maybe you'd found some very cool sunroof interior cover better than that springy folding one that is on the market.

Thank you very much for the description of getting the visor cover off / and the wrap over the wires. Hope to give this a shot this week or next.

Also thanks for the great picture of your lift...not only do I now want that but my wife even thought it was pretty cool.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Cool.

Have you removed those indecipherable stickers on the back of the back seats? Any suggestion for getting the upholstery even after removing those stickers?
Hey Mark, I never took those stickers off the rear seat backs because I covered up the cargo area first with CanvasBack's kit that covers the rear seat backs, floor and quarter panel sides. I also have their folding rear bumper protector for when my dog jumps in and out. One edge of it attaches to the carpeted rear floor so it is always there, I just fold it up. The photo of the CanvasBack was when it was in my Premium. Decided to go with AOSK's rear seat back and cargo floor protector in the GTPE but kept the CanvasBack side and bumper protectors. That doggie bed is made by Kong and fits perfect on the floor.

I don't understand what you mean by "getting the upholstery even"? After removing what stickers?

IMG_50901900.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
WANT LIFT

I literally have no need for it. But I wants it.

Got a brand/link? Have a good buddy who I could convince to buy one and let me use.
I think the lift is my favorite garage tool/device. Originally bought it to work on my vehicles but use it just as much to detail my cars now. So much easier to clean/detail lower trim and wheels. I'm too old to keep kneeling down all the time.

It's a BendPac MD-6XP mid-rise scissors lift. They call it portable because it has rollers and comes with a device you can tilt and roll it around but that's not really true. It weighs just about 1000 lbs and you need 2-3 people to move this thing around. I have it stationary on the floor and bolted down some 4x4 wood pieces on either side so it will not move when it is in use. Also had some custom aluminum ramps made by a friend of mine that is a fabricator. The GT500 normally parks on the ramps above the lift but I move it when I want to lift other vehicles. I had to have the ramps built because the lift is 5" high when collapsed and the GT500 has a ground clearance of 4 1/2" (stock clearance). They are 18' long by 18" wide and 2 1/2" high.

https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mid-rise-scissor-lifts/md-6xp/

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_5427.jpeg

NZ7_5331D (1).jpeg

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is amazing. Thanks so much for posting. I had thought about doing this but didn't have the guts with the new car. One of the things I find makes it easier is if you have a scraper or flat blade to run below the sticker once you heat gun it, it makes removal a breeze and usually takes away most of the glue so you Have less work with the alcohol.

What are some of the other mods you've done? Would live to hear those as well!
I wouldnā€™t use a scraper, flat blade or any other tool on this visor. The vinyl is very thin (but strong) and you will run the risk of poking or stretching it while it's hot. The sticker comes off very easy and fast if it is heated properly. Remember, if it does not come off easy (about 60-90 seconds for the entire sticker) itā€™s not hot enough.

Most of my mods are in my signatures below but there are some that I never mentioned and some that I may have but in another memberā€™s thread. Off the top of my head, these are the only ones I can think of right now.

Painted the light gray front hat part of the rotors black plus the rear dust shields so they would look better behind my open designed black wheels. Removed all the little white VIN stickers that were on the lower part of every door, in the frunk area, etc. Removed the tire pressure and some other sticker that was close to the build sticker on the lower part of the B pillar (you can tell l donā€™t like stickers). Had my console armrest partially covered in Alcantara and silver stitching to match the custom steering wheel (I did post that) and rest of the interior. Replaced the Max Defrost button with a liftgate release button from an Explorer light switch assembly and wired it to open/close the liftgate (I posted this in someone elseā€™s thread). Replaced the splined bots that attach the front struts to the wheel knuckles with regular bolts (and painted them black). This gives you a bit of play when tightening the bolts to add a bit more negative camber.

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1226.jpeg

IMG_1227.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg

IMG_6528.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
I wouldnā€™t use a scraper, flat blade or any other tool on this visor. The vinyl is very thin (but strong) and you will run the risk of poking or stretching it while it's hot. The sticker comes off very easy and fast if it is heated properly. Remember, if it does not come off easy (about 60-90 seconds for the entire sticker) itā€™s not hot enough.

Most of my mods are in my signatures below but there are some that I never mentioned and some that I may have but in another memberā€™s thread. Off the top of my head, these are the only ones I can think of right now.

Painted the light gray front hat part of the rotors black plus the rear dust shields so they would look better behind my open designed black wheels. Removed all the little white VIN stickers that were on the lower part of every door, in the frunk area, etc. Removed the tire pressure and some other sticker that was close to the build sticker on the lower part of the B pillar (you can tell l donā€™t like stickers). Had my console armrest partially covered in Alcantara and silver stitching to match the custom steering wheel (I did post that) and rest of the interior. Replaced the Max Defrost button with a liftgate release button from an Explorer light switch assembly and wired it to open/close the liftgate (I posted this in someone elseā€™s thread). Replaced the splined bots that attach the front struts to the wheel knuckles with regular bolts (and painted them black). This gives you a bit of play when tightening the bolts to add a bit more negative camber.

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1226.jpeg

IMG_1227.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg

IMG_6528.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg
Awesome thank you, I've used scrapers, blades and flat cake icing spatulas to remove stickers with heat guns depending the material but will definitely not tempt fate for this one and avoid them altogether. Appreciate the tip. Thanks for posting your other mods, awesome stuff!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I don't understand what you mean by "getting the upholstery even"? After removing what stickers?
Clearly you donā€™t even see those stickers on the back of the back seats. Hereā€™sa shot of Marlon with the stickers removed. Youā€™ll see the impact on the upholstery.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Removing Visor Warning Stickers FAE797BA-9D1B-48CD-8A48-D2440C1DB4E6
Sponsored