kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
I've been thinking about renaming the app and wanted to hear some opinions. My reasons are:
  1. Now that not just Mach-E owners are using it the name is inaccurate;
  2. The technique I use to make the single app version "look" like an app for each different vehicles has some issues;
  3. I'm considering publishing on Google Play Store (my only motivations for doing this are making it easier for people who won't/can't sideload it, plus automatic updates).
I'm trying to decide on a new name and icon (I'm not an artist so the icon needs to be simple). I've put down a few ideas to get started, but would be happy to add any suggestions.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I've been thinking about renaming the app and wanted to hear some opinions. My reasons are:
  1. Now that not just Mach-E owners are using it the name is inaccurate;
  2. The technique I use to make the single app version "look" like an app for each different vehicles has some issues;
  3. I'm considering publishing on Google Play Store (my only motivations for doing this are making it easier for people who won't/can't sideload it, plus automatic updates).
I'm trying to decide on a new name and icon (I'm not an artist so the icon needs to be simple). I've put down a few ideas to get started, but would be happy to add any suggestions.
If you put it on Google Play, you should sell it. Why not make some money off your hard work?

lemmyslender

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Select AWD SR Comfort/Tech Rapid Red
Country flag
Maybe just FP Widget or Ford Pass Widget? I'll second charging a couple of bucks on google for your effort. I've got some credit on my account and would definitely purchase it.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I will buy it as soon as you publish it on Google Play Store. The only device I have with me all the time is a work phone, which does not allow sideloading.

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also will buy it once it's in the store. At least allow donations. Great work, and I really appreciate how responsive you are to the users. (And I don't even have my MME yet!)

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
One option is to charge for it on play store and keep it free on Github for those that want to sideload.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TL;DR: I'm retired and I'm not looking for a new income source, nor an obligation to keep releasing new updates on a regular basis (beyond when I feel it's time to push out the latest changes) ;)

So let me address this to get the thread back on focus. I appreciate everyone suggesting I put the app on the Play Store for a price, but as I've stated before I'm only interested in doing this as a free app (for a number of reasons). The source will always be available on GitHub for anyone to access as they want. Anyone who's interested in donating toward the development costs --- which are at this point only for purchasing things such as graphics for the widget, but in this case might go toward the costs associated with setting up a Google Play account -- there is a PayPal donation link already on GitHub. Any funds in excess of what I invest for the app will be donated toward charity.

Thanks.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I invited input from the F-150 forum, so there are now a few new names to consider.

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If your widget winds up in the Play Store, FP wont likely be searched for. I think Ford should be in title to be discoverable.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The poll closes tomorrow morning, so if anyone wants to revisit their choices do it soon.