ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (Premium AWD ER)
Country flag
This evening I removed my front license plate and bracket, and applied a vinyl reflective sticker that looks nearly identical to my actual plate. There are a couple different web stores that produce these, and I bought mine for $87 from a place in Canada.

I live in Maryland, so these aren't exactly legal, but a lot of people run no front license plate, so I figured it wouldn't be too painful to at least try out the vinyl sticker option.

Applying it wasn't too difficult. I watched some YouTube videos about the "vinyl decal wet method", and then more or less followed the same procedure. I cleaned the area thoroughly with soapy water, then isopropyl alcohol. I was paranoid about installing it crooked, so I used a lot of painters tape to outline the right location and give myself a target. Then I soaked the area with very mild soapy water (less than 5%), removed the backing and sprayed the sticker too. Then it was a pretty easy process to line up and squeeze it into the contours.

If I could do it over, I would pay a little more attention to the three rivet holes, one of them has a sharp edge that I worry might cut the vinyl.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Eh, ok, here's this one, please don't think too negatively about the lighting or the fact that the rest of my frontend is super dusty.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Replaced Front License Plate with a Vinyl Sticker PXL_20210421_002730607
Thats okay. Everyone knows it didn’t actually happen until there was a pic :)

Looks good.

OP
OP

ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because many people think the front plate license plate bracket holder detracts from the look of the car.
Exactly this.

If it was another car or didn't have holes in the bumper, I would have used a tow hook style or Craig's holder. Now I'm really in love with the vinyl look, and it does a great job of covering those rivet holes.

OP
OP

ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Thats okay. Everyone knows it didn’t actually happen until there was a pic :)

Looks good.
This has the added benefit of making it *really* hard to steal and use on another vehicle. Looks great too.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
They are not illegal.
CA is a bit different...., had to make them legal even though they were not illegal.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
They are not illegal.
CA is a bit different...., had to make them legal even though they were not illegal.
They may not be illegal. In many states though they’re not a valid front license plate. Out here for example, you could be cited for not having a front license plate if you had these on instead. They would not, however, cite you for having these “plates” on. Clear as mud?

with that said .... I’ll still be getting these. :)
Sponsored