Replaced the Ford supplied charger

• Thread starter Deleted member 9461
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Deleted member 9461

Aloha Pilots, and anyone that sings go-speed-racer when they drive their MACH E. Questions, who still uses the supplied Ford Charging plug vs has any of us replaced with something (insert 5 dollar description here)? For example, the Nissan Leaf came with a pretty durable 120v charger, and could be hacked to accept 208V. a few of the other car manufactures offer just pure junk, assuming we are going to install a home level 2. I have a few more industrial strength portables. The Ford isn't BBBBBaaaaaaaadddddd....
Let it fly.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There are multiple posts about a) buying chargers and b) people still using the included portable charger, as well as some having issues with it.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
If you are looking for an EVSE for your home and need help choosing one of the many on the market, I highly recommend you check out this Youtube channel "State of Charge" with Tom Mologney. He does very thorough reviews and testing of many chargers on the market.

I personally chose the JuiceBox 40 amp based in part on Tom's detailed and informative review:

OP
OP

Deleted member 9461

@joebruin77
I been using Juicebox/juicewerks/enel since 2015. absolutely love their chargers. Also when you e-mail with a question, the respond really fast. I have a portable LVL 1 & 2 charger they offered for like a few months, the housing was aluminum and the size of a small brick. They keep offering level 1 PORTABLES, THEN SELL THEM ALL, AND NO MORE FOR LIKE 2 YEARS.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9461

Think I should clarify since there's some confusion, This thread is for those who replaced the ford Portable with something more robust to travel, not, hea I need to get a home charger, there's a metric ton on here on what to go with, this is for level 1 chargers. were you not impressed, and replaced with amore stout portable.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Think I should clarify since there's some confusion, This thread is for those who replaced the ford Portable with something more robust to travel, not, hea I need to get a home charger, there's a metric ton on here on what to go with, this is for level 1 chargers. were you not impressed, and replaced with amore stout portable.
I see no need whatsoever to replace the supplied Ford charging cable for travel. It works fine... and lives under the floor in the back of the car. Keep in mind that when I travel, I charge at DCFC or destination chargers... both have cables. If I ever need to find an outlet, the Ford charger is fine.

What problem are you solving for?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The included mobile charger is both level 1 / level 2.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have not ever plugged in my Ford Mobile Charger, so I don’t know if the thing even works. I have had an old Siemens dumb L2 EVSE for many years (bought it when I got my Fusion Energi) and it’s serving its’ purpose nicely. 😊🐩

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I see no need whatsoever to replace the supplied Ford charging cable for travel. It works fine... and lives under the floor in the back of the car. Keep in mind that when I travel, I charge at DCFC or destination chargers... both have cables. If I ever need to find an outlet, the Ford charger is fine.

What problem are you solving for?
I totally agree! I think mine will be ok for occasional travel use! I just don’t trust it anymore to be my primary source for charging!

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
Just this week replaced with a GrizzlE. Only been used one time so far but definitely charges faster than the FMC. ( 240V, 40A setting ) The build appears to be Rock Solid but can it take the Florida Heat and Humidity?
Do you have grizzly connected to same outlet as the ford cable? Did you need to change to 60 amp vs 50 at breaker and still use 14-50 outlet. Getting new panel so I want to be clear on what electrical I need thanks in advance.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
The Grizzly Classic max’s out at 40a which is the default setting. I didn’t have to open it up to change anything. I am using the same 14-50 circuit that I used with the FMC. I am probably the only one on this Forum that mounted it upside down! Lol

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Do you have grizzly connected to same outlet as the ford cable? Did you need to change to 60 amp vs 50 at breaker and still use 14-50 outlet. Getting new panel so I want to be clear on what electrical I need thanks in advance.
The Grizzl-E is a 40-amp max charger, and needs a 50-amp (not 60-amp) circuit. My charger (Alpha EVSE) uses the Grizzl-E motherboard, and is also a 40-amper that uses a 50-amp circuit. Both chargers use the same 14-50 plug that the Ford Mobile Charger uses...an advantage since if my 40-amper ever fails, I can just plug the 32-amp Ford charger into the same wall socket. I've been using the Alpha since October 2021 with no problems.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
You cannot place a 14-50 or a 6-50 outlet at the end of a 60A circuit. The outlets are designed to withstand 50A maximum (hence the “-50” in their names). A 60A circuit would need to be hard-wired. 😊🐩
Sponsored