Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There have been a few members asking me to post how I changed out the supplied 23’ charging cord on my ChargePoint HomeFlex with a 40’ so here goes. While you can just get an extension cord, I didn’t want another cord hanging around in my garage. I have a two car garage but it is almost the size of a 3 car at 29’ W x 27’ L. I normally park the Mach-E on the side of the charger but because of the location of the charger on the wall, the 23’ cord just makes it to the charge port if I pull in straight. That wasn’t really a problem but several times I’ve had my car on the other side of the garage on my lift working on it and needed to charge. The only way I can do that is with the car backed in on the lift which is a pain to do. The supplied 23’ cord is thinner and lighter than the 40’ cord so it may be easier for some to just use the extension when needed.

I purchased this 40’ extension cord https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821HJMJB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and began to work with it to adapt it to the ChargePoint charger. I wanted the end result to look like the charger came with this cord and it does. I shut down the power to the charger and removed the supplied cord and broke off the crimped metal retainer that sits inside the black collar so I could remove this collar and install it on the new cord. With my Dremel, I enlarged the hole on the collar to fit over the larger cable. I removed the extension connector on the new cord and prepared the end wires just as they were on the ChargePoint cord. There was one minor difference, the ChargePoint cord has a data connector with a blue and yellow wire coming from the cord. The extension cord has the blue wire but a white wire was going to ground. I figured out this is where the yellow wire on the ChargePoint was going also. The blue wire on the new cord I attached to the blue wire on the data connector and took the white wire from the new cord and attached to the yellow wire on he data connector and the other end to the green ground in the charger. Sorry if I am making this confusing as I don’t always explain things very well.

To take the place of the crimped metal retainer to keep the collar on the cord (basically it is a strain relief) I used two thin plastic wire ties on the cord then slipped the collar up against them. The wire ties fit inside the black collar and will not allow the cord to pull down out of the charger. To further add support to the charger cord, I attached a metal pipe strap over the cord to the wall about 18” down from the charger.

I know all of this voids the warranty but I have never been one to leave anything stock and most everything I have has voided warranties. The extension cord has heavier wiring and actually runs a bit cooler when using it on the 60 amp setting which pulls 48 amps when the car is charging.

I didn't take any photos while working on the cords (I rarely take photos unless asked). Below shows the new 40’ cord on the left ready to install in the charger and the stock cord on the right after I swapped over the collar. The photo below that shows the new cord installed in the charger. You can see I only have the blue wire going to the data connector and the white wire goes to the green ground terminal.

NOTE:
Travis (CommittotheIndian) brought to my attention the NEC code states an EV charge cord is not to exceed 25ft unless a cable management system is in place. I think using a 40ft extension added on to your supplied cord or replacing the cord like I did with a longer one should have a cable management system anyway. I assume they are concerned about it laying around on the floor? I'm going to install a couple of large rubberized hooks in the ceiling so as to keep the cord up high when I use it on the opposite side of the garage the charger is on. Otherwise using the 40ft cord when it is close by the car is no issue as most all the cord is hanging on the charger that is attached to the wall. None of the cord touches the floor when I charge on the close side.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing ChargePoint HomeFlex cord with a 40' IMG_3477

Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing ChargePoint HomeFlex cord with a 40' IMG_3791

Last edited:

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
This is awesome. thank you so much for the pics! I wish someone could find a source for that collar/retainer clip and the data connector. Would love to be able to replicate without destroying the original cable. Still want to give it a shot.

One clarifying question. The main Green, Red, and Black wires look easy. For the data connector, you mention the original ChargePoint having Blue and White wires going to the data connector. From the picture of the cord on the right, and the ChargePoint manual, it looks like there are blue and yellow wires going to the data connector. I'm not near my ChargePoint right now, is there also a white wire?

And on the new cable, you just did Blue wire to the data connector where the blue ChargePoint wire went, and white wire to the same terminal as the Green wire. So the data connector only has one wire going to it instead of the original two?

THANKS!

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is awesome. thank you so much for the pics! I wish someone could find a source for that collar/retainer clip and the data connector. Would love to be able to replicate without destroying the original cable. Still want to give it a shot.

One clarifying question. The main Green, Red, and Black wires look easy. For the data connector, you mention the original ChargePoint having Blue and White wires going to the data connector. From the picture of the cord on the right, and the ChargePoint manual, it looks like there are blue and yellow wires going to the data connector. I'm not near my ChargePoint right now, is there also a white wire?

And on the new cable, you just did Blue wire to the data connector where the blue ChargePoint wire went, and white wire to the same terminal as the Green wire. So the data connector only has one wire going to it instead of the original two?

THANKS!
Sorry, yes the ChargePoint data connector has a blue and yellow wire. It has been some time since I did this so I had forgotten. You connect the blue wire from the new cord to the blue wire on the ChargePoint data connector and the white wire to the yellow wire on the data connector and attach the other end of the white wire to the green ground on the charger. As you can see I have the wire connections just below the white data connector taped up so forgot the colors and yes there are two wires connected to the data connector. There is a resistor inline on that white wire that came with the new cord so I used it in the same direction that it was on the extension cord. If you get into this and have more questions you can always ask here or DM me.

Thought I would take a photo right now of this in use. It is a distorted wide angle iPhone photo but you get the idea. I am using every bit of the 40 feet whether I route the cord in front or behind the 500. Like I said the Mach-E normally parks on the side the 500 is. You can see the ChargePoint charger is on the wall just above the roof of the 500.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing ChargePoint HomeFlex cord with a 40' IMG_3792 (1)

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I'll add that you can buy a regular cable gland for a 3/4" knockout and that will fit just fine, rather than having to carefully remove and re-use the existing cable gland. You will have to use a retention nut instead of the cable clip. All the holes in the ChargePoint are standard 3/4" trade size (1.1"). In theory you could run conduit from the unit to a remote cable attachment point as well.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll add that you can buy a regular cable gland for a 3/4" knockout and that will fit just fine, rather than having to carefully remove and re-use the existing cable gland. You will have to use a retention nut instead of the cable clip. All the holes in the ChargePoint are standard 3/4" trade size (1.1"). In theory you could run conduit from the unit to a remote cable attachment point as well.
That is a great idea. I probably should have done that. I had gotten home from a trip late one night and the new cord was here and I dove into that project because was exited to get it done. Home Depot was not open at 1:00 am. 😊

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
...the white wire to the yellow wire on the data connector and attach the other end of the white wire to the green ground on the charger. As you can see I have the wire connections just below the white data connector taped up so forgot the colors and yes there are two wires connected to the data connector. There is a diode or something inline with on that white wire that came with the new cord so I used it in the same direction that it was on the extension cord.
Thanks again for your help. I'm still not completely clear on the white/yellow wire connections, but that may become more clear once I dig in. The yellow wire from the data connector connects to a white wire, and the other and of the white wire attaches to the green ground. Does that mean the white wire is just a couple inches long going from the data connector to the green terminal? I was picturing a white wire running the length of the entire new cable. Again, thanks for taking the time to describe this in detail and provide pics!

I'll just add that you can just buy a regular cable gland for a 3/4" knockout and that will fit just fine, rather than having to carefully remove and re-use the existing cable gland.
This is a great idea. I'd like to keep the original cord stock, so this would help. I may try to find a matching data connector at a computer repair or car stereo shop locally.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks again for your help. I'm still not completely clear on the white/yellow wire connections, but that may become more clear once I dig in. The yellow wire from the data connector connects to a white wire, and the other and of the white wire attaches to the green ground. Does that mean the white wire is just a couple inches long going from the data connector to the green terminal? I was picturing a white wire running the length of the entire new cable. Again, thanks for taking the time to describe this in detail and provide pics!
Yes the white wire is only a few inches long. It connects to the yellow wire off the data connector then right over to the green ground on the charger.

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Looks like the Lectron cable might be a bit too thick for a standard cable gland. Looks like most 3/4" cable glands can accept cables up to 18mm or .7in. I asked Lectron how thick their cable is and they sent me this spect sheet. It's 22.8mm or almost .9in. Not sure that will work, and explains why @markboris had to dremel out the one from the CharePoint.

spec sheet.png

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks like the Lectron cable might be a bit too thick for a standard cable gland. Looks like most 3/4" cable glands can accept cables up to 18mm or .7in. I asked Lectron how thick their cable is and they sent me this spect sheet. It's 22.8mm or almost .9in. Not sure that will work, and explains why @markboris had to dremel out the one from the CharePoint.
I could have measured it for you..... I show it is slightly less than 22.8 but it's still larger than a standard 3/4" cable.

IMG_3808.jpeg

CommittotheIndian

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach-E Select eAWD Star White
Occupation
Indiana Supreme Court - IT
Country flag

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You might want to add a note to your post but I believe extending the charge code would violate national electrical code. I'm not an electrician so please feel free to confirm.

https://up.codes/s/cords-and-cables
Indeed.

The NEC itself states the it is “a minimum standard for safety and not a design manual.” This one of many examples where the NEC veers into design aspects. A 25’ cable lays on the driveway or garage floor the same as a 40’ cable does. IMO the 25’ limit is totally arbitrary and is not a make or break factor as far as safety is concerned.

If I needed a longer cable, I wouldn’t hesitate to do what Mark did.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
I also suspect this modification would void your EVSE warranty so I would keep that in mind.

I wonder if the EVSE can be damaged by using a longer cable. While impedance may have only been marginally affected, could there be some other things that could increase risks? I know for example that network devices can calculate length of cable so wonder if the EVSE also does something similar.
Sponsored