Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal)

ROBOHOBO

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e, '66 coupe
Country flag
When my Mach e arrived, the seal for the roof glass was loose / damaged right in front-center. Of course, nobody at the dealership noticed, but I got an IOU out of them before taking possession while they figured out what to do.

When I checked in with them today, they said the seal is integrated with the glass as a single unit and the only way to get a new seal is to order the whole thing; which could take weeks to arrive in Alaska. They might also have to replace the windshield while they're at it - they just don't know yet as it's pretty slow-going getting the info from corporate. TL;DR - protect your glass.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal) 20210321_161554

On top of that, they don't have the facilities in-house to handle glass and will be referring me to a local glass shop. I'm sure whoever they use is competent, but I don't have any roof noise right now and I'm nervous that whatever shop they use won't know enough about the car to ensure proper spacing and it'll be a PITA to convince them to do it again over something as subjective as noise.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So are some vehicles just missing this seal all together? Mine doesn't have anything like that at all.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
So are some vehicles just missing this seal all together? Mine doesn't have anything like that at all.
Look closely - it appears to be just part of the glass until you look for it closely. This pict is really close-up.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal) 1616764156938

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ah OK. OP's picture makes it look like it actually fills that gap between the two glasses.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal) 20210326_081438

OP
OP
ROBOHOBO

ROBOHOBO

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e, '66 coupe
Country flag
Ah OK. OP's picture makes it look like it actually fills that gap between the two glasses.
Here's a closeup now that it's daylight:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal) 20210326_123025

The roof-to-windshield channel is about 0.19" wide at the edges and about 0.10" near the center just next to where the defect starts.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal) 20210326_122829

Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal) 20210326_122937

I also have the same variances all the way around that others have reported - the glass is flush with the top of the seal in some places, but much higher in others; particularly in the corners. The seal pulls away from the glass in some other spots too, but nothing I would have noticed if it weren't for the big piece in the middle. Overall it looks like whatever they're doing to press the glass into place is using too much force and warping the seal. (Or in my case, breaking it.)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal) 20210326_123037

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
Here's a closeup now that it's daylight:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Replacing my roof glass (due to loose / damaged seal) 20210326_123037

The roof-to-windshield channel is about 0.19" wide at the edges and about 0.10" near the center just next to where the defect starts.

I also have the same variances all the way around that others have reported - the glass is flush with the top of the seal in some places, but much higher in others; particularly in the corners. The seal pulls away from the glass in some other spots too, but nothing I would have noticed if it weren't for the big piece in the middle. Overall it looks like whatever they're doing to press the glass into place is using too much force and warping the seal. (Or in my case, breaking it.)
I had to like this photo, as I’m reading a fellow Alaskans thread and I see him pull out the caliper! ? love it.
The seal on the other hand, sorry to see that.
If it wasn’t such a nice new car I’d almost just want to mask it and run a nice bead of sikaflex to calm my OCD.
My buddy rebuilt a 72 firebird and he did all flush mounts no trim on his glass and I think it turned out really slick. Wouldn’t be any different to make a clean seal, however, not your responsibility seeing as how you just got the dang thing.

OP
OP
ROBOHOBO

ROBOHOBO

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e, '66 coupe
Country flag
You need a wash...

Mines going under the knife Monday.
The joys of Spring breakup in Alaska. I can't even make it home from the wash without the car looking just the same. It'll get a hand wash-and-wax when I dig out the '66 in late April / May.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
So many issues with the assembly (or process involved) of this glass roof. I wouldn't doubt this is the most difficult part of assembly on the car dealing with alignment etc. I'm somewhat relieved mine only has the noise and slight rubber surround misalignment on the passenger side.

so many issues with this glass roof...

PBog

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I agree. Wish there was an option to get metal roof instead on the AWD Extended Range.
I never went with sunroof/moonroof in any of my other vehicles (just not a fan of the sun glare).... I would prefer a standard roof too.

Eosin

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
@ROBOHOBO Any luck getting your roof repaired yet?