Reserved A 2022 Premium In October…What Now?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Can someone walk me through what to expect after reserving a car?

I reserved a 2022 Premium AWD in late Oct. with a downpayment of $1000. This is the first time I’ve bought a car that didn’t actually exist - in the past I’ve waited for cars to be delivered to the dealer, but they always existed as a trackable VIN in the dealer’s systems.

So what’s next?

• Have the 2022s started production yet? (I think the answer is No?)
  • When does a VIN get associated with my Order? How will I know when it happens? I’m not exactly confident the dealer will call me :)
  • Once I have a VIN can I begin tracing delivery?
  • I’m in Canada - does anyone know what sort of voodoo black magic Ford uses to distribute cars internationally? The ford.com site says 28+ weeks for a Premium, but does that hold for Canadian orders too? I assume I’ll be waiting a bit longer.

I’ve seen lots of threads about tracing cars on trains, getting updates via the Ford website / App etc but have no idea when I’ll be able to get in on all the fun. Also just saw a thread about a dealer selling a car from under a guy who had a reservation and had been waiting six months. Don’t understand how that’s possible if your order gets that VIN assigned to it…

Thanks!
Sponsored

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Can someone walk me through what to expect after reserving a car?

I reserved a 2022 Premium AWD in late Oct. with a downpayment of $1000. This is the first time I’ve bought a car that didn’t actually exist - in the past I’ve waited for cars to be delivered to the dealer, but they always existed as a trackable VIN in the dealer’s systems.

So what’s next?

• Have the 2022s started production yet? (I think the answer is No?)
  • When does a VIN get associated with my Order? How will I know when it happens? I’m not exactly confident the dealer will call me :)
  • Once I have a VIN can I begin tracing delivery?
  • I’m in Canada - does anyone know what sort of voodoo black magic Ford uses to distribute cars internationally? The ford.com site says 28+ weeks for a Premium, but does that hold for Canadian orders too? I assume I’ll be waiting a bit longer.

I’ve seen lots of threads about tracing cars on trains, getting updates via the Ford website / App etc but have no idea when I’ll be able to get in on all the fun. Also just saw a thread about a dealer selling a car from under a guy who had a reservation and had been waiting six months. Don’t understand how that’s possible if your order gets that VIN assigned to it…

Thanks!
You are correct that they have not started making 2022 models. That is supposed to start on January 3rd, 2022.

I'm in the US. I ordered via Ford's website a 2021 Premium Extended RWD. I did this on September 1st. Selected a local dealer and paid the $500 deposit, which was collected by the local dealer automatically. At the time of ordering it said it would be 24+ weeks to get the car.

On October 1st, I got an e-mail from Ford that my order was converting to a 2022 Model.

A month later I got an e-mail from Ford that my order was scheduled to be built the week of 12/13/21. Included in that e-mail was the VIN for the car.

A few days later I got another e-mail that it had been rescheduled for the week of 1/3/22, but the VIN was the same.

Checking on the Ford site shows that the 1/3/22 date hasn't changed in the last 3 weeks.

At this point it looks like it will be somewhere between 22 and 24 weeks will have elapsed from when I ordered to when I get the car.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
This delivery etc, February or March delivery for an order placed in September. 5-6 months.

Bruin89

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG California Route 1
Country flag
I used a service in California called Cartelligent to place my order - it's an online buying service. I know a number of people who have bought cars though them and had rave reviews. To me it was worth their fee to not have to talk to the dealer directly, ensure they wouldn't tack on ADM, and never enter the showroom again (had enough of that when I went in for a test drive..) I just told them the Mach-E I wanted and went from there.

I started the process in early October. They got as far as getting a "Preview Order" from a dealership, pretty much right away. Then, no updates from the dealer each time my agent checked in. No request for a deposit, no Purchase Order, nothing. Several weeks back I had them make a change in my order spec, which generated a new Preview Order from the same dealer, then again - nothing. The agent promises she'll let me know when she hears back from them, which I believe, but are they slow-playing her?

I've been searching these boards for specific order process and it seems like it's roughly: place order; go into/work with dealer for deposit; get Purchase Order; get build date/VIN; get delivery date. Is the Preview Order I got just something meaningless that the dealer will "spec" out to a customer before they take a deposit, turn it into a Purchase Order and actually gets the process started?

I get the feeling that Cartelligent maybe doesn't normally "order" vehicles in this way - most of their business is matching a customer order against existing stock/incoming deliveries at dealerships. Last time they told her the order is unscheduled by Ford with no definitive time frame. I just wonder if the dealer is stringing them along for some reason, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't just take the deposit so I can get in line with everyone else.

Any input is welcome.

OP
OP
MellowJohnny

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I sent an email to Ford Canada via the website today (I live 5 minutes from the Canadian Head Office in Oakville) so we’ll see what they say. I asked them if there is a way to associate the Order I placed at the dealership with my online Profile. There is a section in the Profile called Reservations / Orders but since I didn’t reserve online mine’s empty.

I’ll post their answer when I hear back…

JohnnyMachE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Mustang Mach-E SEL
Country flag
I've been waiting since late August and my experience so far is that you are basically in a dark void until your car is scheduled for production. I received my first real update early November with a production date in early January. I also received a VIN number at that time (I also received a notice that I cancelled in October LOLZ).

I ordered a Select and when I ordered, the time frame was 20 weeks. Looking at the production and then final delivery I will probably be at 26-30 weeks.

YMMV but honestly I think its about 2-3 months till scheduled and then an additional 3-4 months till delivery. This range seems to flex based on your luck more than anything else.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
I ordered on October 18th from a dealer. Heard from Ford that same day my order was accepted. Since than crickets. So just following along. Best of luck to all here. ?

Kks17

First Name
Kam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach e
Country flag
I sent an email to Ford Canada via the website today (I live 5 minutes from the Canadian Head Office in Oakville) so we’ll see what they say. I asked them if there is a way to associate the Order I placed at the dealership with my online Profile. There is a section in the Profile called Reservations / Orders but since I didn’t reserve online mine’s empty.

I’ll post their answer when I hear back…
Hi sorry to bring up a old thread but I was wondering what HO ended up replying with? I saw the other feed about your vehicle :( so sorry! I just ordered in May 2022 in BC for Premium AWD SR and was quoted 6-8 month

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Hi sorry to bring up a old thread but I was wondering what HO ended up replying with? I saw the other feed about your vehicle :( so sorry! I just ordered in May 2022 in BC for Premium AWD SR and was quoted 6-8 month
I ordered my Premium on October 18th, 2021. Its built and shipped and should be at my dealer by July 20th, 2022. In the interum I bought a 2021 GTPE, NOW WHAT? Not sure what I am going to do yet. Maybe keep it, maybe sell it. Just a FWIW. Good luck to all those waiting.

OP
OP
MellowJohnny

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
That's good to know - dealer said a MY23 order, but if they are still accepting MY22 maybe that's what they'll do. Also on the lookout for a cancellation. So at this point still not sure. I may also expand my search to there provinces - there are about 100 MMEs around southern ON but mostly extended range battery which I don't want.

Thanks for the info tho!

Kks17

First Name
Kam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach e
Country flag
That's good to know - dealer said a MY23 order, but if they are still accepting MY22 maybe that's what they'll do. Also on the lookout for a cancellation. So at this point still not sure. I may also expand my search to there provinces - there are about 100 MMEs around southern ON but mostly extended range battery which I don't want.

Thanks for the info tho!
No problem! I just ordered very recent and I was told 2022 so they may just give you that. Wait time is definitely way better then before let’s just hope it’s true! :)

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I ordered my Premium on October 18th, 2021. Its built and shipped and should be at my dealer by July 20th, 2022. In the interum I bought a 2021 GTPE, NOW WHAT? Not sure what I am going to do yet. Maybe keep it, maybe sell it. Just a FWIW. Good luck to all those waiting.
My order is at the dealer. A month early. Just saw it the other day.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Reserved A 2022 Premium In October…What Now? 20220617_130432
Ford Mustang Mach-E Reserved A 2022 Premium In October…What Now? 20220617_130020