E-questrian

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
89 days later - I have my pony back. Ford came through. The original issue was a detached capacitor. Lessons I learned - charging the 12v battery may have allowed the car to be put in neutral instead of dragged on bed. I’ve heard lots on tow points, not sure though that I could direct a tow truck:).
The blame game between the tow companies could happen because no inspection was carried out between tows. The dealership that I was first towed to did not have the equipment to lift the MachE. A big shout out to John ’JW’ Weschler, asst Service Manager at Sarasota Ford, for keeping me regularly informed and helping me navigate. Thanks to this forum for supportive comments and education. And yes - I would recommend Ford to a friend.

Original story:

”Pull over Safely” came up on the dash, so we pulled over to side of highway and called Ford Road Side Assitance. A tow truck was dispatched. Car was dragged on to tow bed with a winch. The first winch snapped. The Ford dealership I was towed to had never worked on an electric car. We were halfway between our home in Canada and our winter place in Florida. On the recommendation of Ford Customer Care, they arranged to have the car transported down to a dealership in Florida. The tow company hooked into the battery rail and damaged the batteries. $28,000 repair bill. Now Ford customer care tells me I have to deal with Agero- claims for Road Side Assistance, that it’s not Ford. Agero denies the claim because it can’t be proven that it was the tow company’a fault it could have happened when the car was transported to Florida. Ford says it’s not their fault. My insurance company says it’s not claimable through them. So I am left finding lawyers in both the US and Canada to deal with this. Then I am sent a survey asking if I would refer Ford to a friend!

Ford Mustang Mach-E RESOLUTION!  $28,000 damage to Mach-E from tow truck hooking into battery rail B877162A-0DFD-4490-A6EA-110D205A7880 (1)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Yes get a lawyer. It is safe to say it is either the transport company or the tow company that has to pay up. I would say sue them both and let the courts figure it out. This is goign to be big boy and girl court. Sadly I bet it is the tow company that is who f it up. There are pictures of the car before and after each stage. Suing both the transport company and the tow company will force them to turn over those pictures to keep them from pointing the figured at eachother.
Hell I would argue sue ford and let ford handle suing the others.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Been there, lived this: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/battery-replacement-saga-update.10629/

The towing companies insurance carrier should pick up the bill. I have photos in that thread to if you helps you show similar damage. The carrier accepted it right away with me, provided a rental, and paid it all. After a lot of teeth gnashing Ford also made some concessions after nearly 2 months.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
The tow company hooked into the battery rail and damaged the batteries. $28,000 repair bill.
Yikes, very sorry that happened to you.
First thing I did after reading this was look in the Manual for info on the tow hook, did not find anything. Does the MME not have one?

Edit - never mind, found the thread confirming Ford did not provide one...face palm, grrr

Last edited:

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD, Audi TT, Nissan ElGrand
Country flag
Oh man, sorry to hear. I hope this works out in the end. We have such emotional ties to our ponies. I'm going through a much much more minor situation related to a flat tire repair where dealership damaged my MME but they're taking full responsibility for the repairs.

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
Dang, and here I am griping about no radiator shutters being available for my GTPE repair. That is truly a major bummer.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
”Pull over Safely” came up on the dash, so we pulled over to side of highway and called Ford Road Side Assitance. A tow truck was dispatched. Car was dragged on to tow bed with a winch. The first winch snapped. The Ford dealership I was towed to had never worked on an electric car. We were halfway between our home in Canada and our winter place in Florida. On the recommendation of Ford Customer Care, they arranged to have the car transported down to a dealership in Florida. The tow company hooked into the battery rail and damaged the batteries. $28,000 repair bill. Now Ford customer care tells me I have to deal with Agero- claims for Road Side Assistance, that it’s not Ford. Agero denies the claim because it can’t be proven that it was the tow company’a fault it could have happened when the car was transported to Florida. Ford says it’s not their fault. My insurance company says it’s not claimable through them. So I am left finding lawyers in both the US and Canada to deal with this. Then I am sent a survey asking if I would refer Ford to a friend!
What part of the battery is damaged? The most common seems to be the battery rails that tow truck drivers like to hook onto. But those rails can be replaced without replacing the whole battery.

OP
OP

E-questrian

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Been there, lived this: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/battery-replacement-saga-update.10629/

The towing companies insurance carrier should pick up the bill. I have photos in that thread to if you helps you show similar damage. The carrier accepted it right away with me, provided a rental, and paid it all. After a lot of teeth gnashing Ford also made some concessions after nearly 2 months.
thanks, the issue I am having is that the car was towed to the first dealership who didn’t have the experience to deal with it And they are pointing the finger at the transport company that brought it to Florida. Interesting that the first dealership was unable to drop the battery as they did not have the tools either.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Sorry for your situation.

Maybe I missed it...is there a proper procedure for a flatbed situation? where should they hook it up to?

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Sorry to hear about this. Ford should step up, they hire these people. Not impressed with Ford and the MME the last six months. Very disappointing to hear the issues. Again sorry to hear. Best of luck!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E RESOLUTION!  $28,000 damage to Mach-E from tow truck hooking into battery rail B877162A-0DFD-4490-A6EA-110D205A7880 (1)
Is this all back and forth on the phone or have you filed an official claim yet?

Personally, I would start by filing a claim with my own insurance company and let them go after the tow company’s insurance policy. Path of least resistance I would think.