RESOLVED SUCCESSFULLY - JuiceBox Charger cord length not as described

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Edit - see post on 7/29/21 with resolution and explanation as to why it happened.

Just had a JuiceBox 48 installed, which has a 25' cord, which JuiceBox says is the longest cord in the industry. Except when it's not... After they left, I connected the cord and wondered where my extra was. I measured it, and it's 17 1/2 feet long, not 25. I chatted with JuiceBox Support, and they immediately offered me $50. In other words, they knew. I refused. I contacted my installer, a JuiceBox authorized reseller, and they called JuiceBox and verified that JuiceBox put together some units with a shorter cord due to inventory supply issues, but that's not disclosed to anyone. They'll be coming back out in Fall with longer cord and swapping it out at JuiceBox's expense. I'm awaiting the installer to suggest payment options, because I'm not paying in full for something that isn't what I ordered.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I made sure that JuiceBox knew that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
There is a J1772 extension cord you can get as a temporary solution if you need the extra length to reach your vehicle. They're not cheap ($180-$200), but I got one to carry in my car for times when a public charge station might not be reachable. Doesn't solve the fact that Juicebox short changed you, but I suppose the EVSEs are flying off their shelves right now.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given that a 48 amp charger requires hardwiring...

I see what you were referring to. That could work but I would have to change amps to 40, I am at 48. It works now, just not ideal.

My installer has agreed to not charge for the charger ;) until such time as they've installed a 25 foot cord from the manufacturer, or a new charger, both expected in the Fall. I'll add any additional info from JuiceBox once received. I have asked for an executive to reach out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One tip to others (and I'm not an electrician) - I got a 60 amp breaker installed as is required. I told them I wanted it setup so that IF I needed to switch to a plug, I could just go buy one and wire it in. They had no long enough cable in the truck (wow), so they had to go buy some. When they were looking for the cable by calling places, I said "that's going to have the 4 wires I need for a plug in the future, right?" and they said "now that you told us, yes". They had planned on a 3 wire cable because that's all the JuiceBox needs... They also couldn't fit a 1/2 size breaker in (box prevents it, which other electricians caught), so they moved some lights to another breaker to free up spot. Of course it has to pass inspection whenever that occurs.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
One tip to others (and I'm not an electrician) - I got a 60 amp breaker installed as is required. I told them I wanted it setup so that IF I needed to switch to a plug, I could just go buy one and wire it in. They had no long enough cable in the truck (wow), so they had to go buy some. When they were looking for the cable by calling places, I said "that's going to have the 4 wires I need for a plug in the future, right?" and they said "now that you told us, yes". They had planned on a 3 wire cable because that's all the JuiceBox needs... They also couldn't fit a 1/2 size breaker in (box prevents it, which other electricians caught), so they moved some lights to another breaker to free up spot. Of course it has to pass inspection whenever that occurs.
You need a 60 amp breaker to do 48 amps hardwired. But you can't put a 50A outlet on that circuit unless you change the breaker to 50A as well. Easy enough to swap out the breaker later with the plug. But yes they have to run the extra neutral wire for the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spoke to company today (they asked if they could call me). Product destined for another channel (Costco) was instead assembled for this channel (Reseller). Costco, and some other retailers, sell units clearly marked as having 20 foot cords. Reseller and I expected the unit on the website that has a 25' cord. The company is going to expedite a new unit to me in the next 10 days (they're getting a handful in), and then have the installer come back and replace my unit, all on their dime. They're also going to send the installer a few of these units, since I wasn't the only one that got one.
They also explained that Customer Service was out of the loop, which is why they reacted as they did, instead of doing some research first. They will ensure that serial numbers are swapped for warranty purposes, and that the link with them and my utility company (which gets me a small monthly incentive for charging in specific hours, as well as my initial $500 rebate) gets properly reconnected.

Very apologetic, and handling it quite appropriately. I will post back when the new unit is installed.

Last edited:

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Edit - see post on 7/29/21 with resolution and explanation as to why it happened.

Just had a JuiceBox 48 installed, which has a 25' cord, which JuiceBox says is the longest cord in the industry. Except when it's not... After they left, I connected the cord and wondered where my extra was. I measured it, and it's 17 1/2 feet long, not 25. I chatted with JuiceBox Support, and they immediately offered me $50. In other words, they knew. I refused. I contacted my installer, a JuiceBox authorized reseller, and they called JuiceBox and verified that JuiceBox put together some units with a shorter cord due to inventory supply issues, but that's not disclosed to anyone. They'll be coming back out in Fall with longer cord and swapping it out at JuiceBox's expense. I'm awaiting the installer to suggest payment options, because I'm not paying in full for something that isn't what I ordered.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I made sure that JuiceBox knew that.

I bought the Grizzl E which came with a 24' cable. But I never measured it because it was plenty long enough for my uses even if it isn't 24'. But after reading your article I'm tempted to go out and measure it. Maybe. Some day. When I get the incentive. Well, maybe not.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
When I had my garage wired, I had to install a dedicated meter to get on the EV rate plan. That dedicated meter is 125 amps ... so I had planned to install one wallbox and the other wall would just get a NEMA 14-50 plug (for a future car). Then I found out I could get a 2nd EVSE with $500 rebate from my utility and I realized I should jump on that deal now rather than wait. So now the garage has two EVSE's (both on 60 amp breakers but the EVSE's are 48 amp).

The EVSE's themselves (and the Ford Mobile Charger if you use that) do *not* actually use the Neutral pin on the NEMA 14-50 plug. So it would work with 3-wire.

I do have a single NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage which is 4-wire. The nice thing about 4-wire is it doubles as either a single 240v outlet *or* as twin 120v outlets (but you need an adapter). I bought one of these: https://acworks.com/products/ac-wor...4-50p-to-4-household-outlets-with-20a-breaker

You can find adapters that don't have built-in breakers (and they are cheaper). But the risk is that the NEMA 14-50 may be on a breaker up to 50 amps... and if you plug in a device that is only rated for say... 20 amps... and the device has a problem, the breaker wont trip because you aren't actually pulling 50 amps yet. So I wanted the adapter with the built-in breaker -- a bit more expensive, but safer.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Spoke to company today (they asked if they could call me). Product destined for another channel (Costco) was instead assembled for this channel (Reseller). Costco, and some other retailers, sell units clearly marked as having 20 foot cords. Reseller and I expected the unit on the website that has a 25' cord. The company is going to expedite a new unit to me in the next 10 days (they're getting a handful in), and then have the installer come back and replace my unit, all on their dime. They're also going to send the installer a few of these units, since I wasn't the only one that got one.
They also explained that Customer Service was out of the loop, which is why they reacted as they did, instead of doing some research first. They will ensure that serial numbers are swapped for warranty purposes, and that the link with them and my utility company (which gets me a small monthly incentive for charging in specific hours, as well as my initial $500 rebate) gets properly reconnected.

Very apologetic, and handling it quite appropriately. I will post back when the new unit is installed.
I bought mine via Costco and just went back to check. They did advertise it as having a 20 foot cable not the 25 on the website for the regular ones

Ford Mustang Mach-E RESOLVED SUCCESSFULLY - JuiceBox Charger cord length not as described Costco Juicebox.JPG

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I bought mine via Costco and just went back to check. They did advertise it as having a 20 foot cable not the 25 on the website for the regular ones

Ford Mustang Mach-E RESOLVED SUCCESSFULLY - JuiceBox Charger cord length not as described Costco Juicebox.JPG
When you have a chance, it would be interesting to see what the length of the cord is.

However, your is the JuiceBox 40. Mine is the JuiceBox 48. That brings me back to thinking that the JuiceBox's may have a dip switch setup inside to change the max amps.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
When you have a chance, it would be interesting to see what the length of the cord is.

However, your is the JuiceBox 40. Mine is the JuiceBox 48. That brings me back to thinking that the JuiceBox's may have a dip switch setup inside to change the max amps.
Ha! Great minds think alike. I measured it and it is 19' 8 1/2 inches which is close enough. Myine is plugged into a NEMA port and not hard wired. There are dip switches and I believe that they have documentation on the settings on their website.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ha! Great minds think alike. I measured it and it is 19' 8 1/2 inches which is close enough. Myine is plugged into a NEMA port and not hard wired. There are dip switches and I believe that they have documentation on the settings on their website.
I measured the one I had again, this time with my wife, so they're be no mistakes ;) 17 feet,5 inches to the end of the cord, 18' 3" to the end of the nozzle, not counting what inserts into the vehicle.

So "it's the Costco version" seems to be an incorrect statement they've made to me. I sent them the info, we'll see what the response is.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I measured the one I had again, this time with my wife, so they're be no mistakes ;) 17 feet,5 inches to the end of the cord, 18' 3" to the end of the nozzle, not counting what inserts into the vehicle.

So "it's the Costco version" seems to be an incorrect statement they've made to me. I sent them the info, we'll see what the response is.
Even accounting for some wire that ends up inside the EVSE, that comes up short. I guess you have an 18' cord version.

Sounds like some bean counting occurred...

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update -

The company has no explanation as to why my cord is 17' 5" or 18' 3" if you include the nozzle. They measured a Costco version and came up with just under 20 feet.

They had a small batch of normal, 25' cord versions come in and have one enroute to me arriving midweek which they said they measured and it's the right length. They also sent a few to my installer to replace his too short inventory.

They will pay for the installer to come back and swap out the units also.

I'll post end of week hopefully with a conclusion to this.
Sponsored