Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Marlin has been at Maryland Collision Center since April 5th. He's been opened and closed repeatedly so deep sleep times have probably been minimal. I charged to 90% a couple of days before dropping him off. He's now at 80%.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
A battery engineer will give you a window of SoC percentages that center around 50% for long-term storage. I have heard and read 30%-70%, 20%-80%, etc. The common thread is that they center around 50%. 50-ish to 60-ish% SoC at the time of storage seems to me a logical place to start, since natural decomp and normal parasitic drains would trend the SoC down toward that mythical 50%.

MooseLips3700

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Idiot Savant
Country flag
If you’re planning on leaving the car undriven for an extended period of time, you should knock it down to around 60% for storage. I get that you didn’t go into this planning on not using the car for 3 weeks, and I’m not upset, I’m just saying that we have a pretty good idea of how to manage LiPo batteries.
Joe thanks for the above post, as I will not drive my MM3 for extended periods of time (maybe as long as 3 months).
Just curious , why the 60% ?
Thanks

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I've experienced the same, and in fact in a couple of instances I've even seen 1% higher after parking the car for a few days. I'm not saying the car actually gained phantom energy, that would be silly. But something about how the state of charge is being measured under load, obviously changed after the car sat for a while because it reported 1% higher after a few days.

For the most part though, I haven't noticed any drain at all after letting it sit for a week in my underground condo parking lot, and the state of charge is exactly where it was when I parked it.
I don't have my Mach-E yet but I do have a 2013 Fusion Energi. Unlike Tesla it does not use the HVB to charge the 12 volt battery when the car is off. I never lose anything from the HVb but the 12 volt battery is another story. I have to hook up a charger to the 12 volt battery if it is going to sit for a long time. That is the norm these days thanks to Covid-19. I keep a jump box in the trunk to reactivate the car if the 12 volt battery goes flat. I have a strategically placed rope to open the trunk if the battery is dead. It appears I'll be doing something similar for the Mach-E.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Well, I can extend the test period to 6 weeks, outdoors at temps down to -20, buried under 2 feet of fresh snow and not plugged in. My red FE went into deep sleep mode for most of the time. I returned from my extended travel and it started immediately. The main battery lost about 6% charge in that time.
I'm removing the 12v battery from my list of MME concerns to keep an eye on.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't have my Mach-E yet but I do have a 2013 Fusion Energi. Unlike Tesla it does not use the HVB to charge the 12 volt battery when the car is off. I never lose anything from the HVb but the 12 volt battery is another story. I have to hook up a charger to the 12 volt battery if it is going to sit for a long time. That is the norm these days thanks to Covid-19. I keep a jump box in the trunk to reactivate the car if the 12 volt battery goes flat. I have a strategically placed rope to open the trunk if the battery is dead. It appears I'll be doing something similar for the Mach-E.
one hint the 12V is close to going on the 2013 Fusion Energi, by the way, is if the electronic parking brake starts to act funny (just like how the 12V going low on the MME makes things act funny). the car can be drivable but things start to act very weird. ask me how I know ;)
Sponsored