Reverse brake assist kicking in

buddha34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium XR AWD
Country flag
At some point in the last couple weeks my reverse brake assist started kicking in frequently when I'm backing out of my garage. It has always given me the proximity beeps for the side of the garage (it is somewhat narrow) but this is happening at least 50% of the time all of a sudden. It is extremely jarring as it slams on the brakes right as I am beginning to accelerate clear of the garage. It hits so hard that I can even smell the brakes. This happened exactly zero times in the last 1.5 years of ownership until a couple weeks ago. Anyone experience this? Could this have been a software update? Is there a setting to decrease the sensitivity of this "feature"?

Edit: Reverse brake assist, not rear
Sponsored

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
At some point in the last couple weeks my rear brake assist started kicking in frequently when I'm backing out of my garage. It has always given me the proximity beeps for the side of the garage (it is somewhat narrow) but this is happening at least 50% of the time all of a sudden. It is extremely jarring as it slams on the brakes right as I am beginning to accelerate clear of the garage. It hits so hard that I can even smell the brakes. This happened exactly zero times in the last 1.5 years of ownership until a couple weeks ago. Anyone experience this? Could this have been a software update? Is there a setting to decrease the sensitivity of this "feature"?
You can turn it off before you back out, it can be sensitive with shadows and other things. My sprinklers always trick mine, so I turn it off if my sprinklers are running when I’m backing out. Here’s a funny video :

DogNPony

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Victory Cross Country
Occupation
IT System Engineer
Country flag
Yeah mine kicked on 2x during the same garage exit last week. Kinda shocking how hard it grabs as my head hit the headrest both times. Car was kinda dirty from rain previous day so took a finishing towel and wiped down all the sensors. Hasn't done it since.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
At some point in the last couple weeks my reverse brake assist started kicking in frequently when I'm backing out of my garage. It has always given me the proximity beeps for the side of the garage (it is somewhat narrow) but this is happening at least 50% of the time all of a sudden. It is extremely jarring as it slams on the brakes right as I am beginning to accelerate clear of the garage. It hits so hard that I can even smell the brakes. This happened exactly zero times in the last 1.5 years of ownership until a couple weeks ago. Anyone experience this? Could this have been a software update? Is there a setting to decrease the sensitivity of this "feature"?

Edit: Reverse brake assist, not rear
It hits so hard that I can even smell the brakes. I can't imagine any circumstances where braking from rolling out of a garage could heat car brakes enough to smell them. If you smell something, you might want to check to see if something else is happening.

Unrelated to braking, You might check to see if the outlet or EVSE is getting hot while charging.

OP
OP
buddha34

buddha34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium XR AWD
Country flag
It hits so hard that I can even smell the brakes. I can't imagine any circumstances where braking from rolling out of a garage could heat car brakes enough to smell them. If you smell something, you might want to check to see if something else is happening.

Unrelated to braking, You might check to see if the outlet or EVSE is getting hot while charging.
It's definitely the brakes. Keep in mind I have my foot on the accelerator for the fraction of a second it takes for me to take it off, it sort of feels like I'm accelerating and braking at the same time for a moment. It is extremely jarring.

I have turned it off and I'm leaving it off for now, I took a look at the sensors and while my car is definitely not clean, I didn't notice that they were particularly dirty. I might try again after my next wash. Interesting that at least one other (DogNPony) commented on the same issue over the past few weeks, it really seems like something changed, perhaps the sensitivity.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
1.5 years. 1P entire time, reverse brake assist entire time(except last two OTAs which disengaged it and 1P temporarily). No experience as described above (no hard brake, no smell).
Should probably have it checked by dealer if you are fortunate enough to have that service.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It's definitely the brakes. Keep in mind I have my foot on the accelerator for the fraction of a second it takes for me to take it off, it sort of feels like I'm accelerating and braking at the same time for a moment. It is extremely jarring.

I have turned it off and I'm leaving it off for now, I took a look at the sensors and while my car is definitely not clean, I didn't notice that they were particularly dirty. I might try again after my next wash. Interesting that at least one other (DogNPony) commented on the same issue over the past few weeks, it really seems like something changed, perhaps the sensitivity.
+1 on someone who has recently started experiencing this. It's happened a couple times in reverse (also backing out of my garage). I think shadows must have confused the car. But then recently I was driving down the street and the Collision Assistance system falsely detected an imminent collision, though luckily not enough for it to hit the brakes. It's weird. My car does need a wash, but like yours, nothing so bad as to likely warrant this behavior. It's not been so much of a problem so far that I'd disengaged either sensor setting however...

GG70

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium EAWD
Country flag
Noting the same behavior as well.
Sponsored