Nuno1122

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach -E CA RT1
Country flag
so this just happened earlier today and after letting the car rest for about an hr I have not been able to recreate the issue.

So what happened was I backed in to a parking spot. Then put the car in drive stepped on the pedal and the car went backwards. I stopped thought about what happened put the car back in reverse stepped down and the car went back as expected turned the knob back to drive stepped down and the car went back again luckily for me I didn't hit the car behind me. So at that point I just turned the car off and left. I waited for the car that was behind me to leave that way if my car went backwards again I wouldnt hit it. And I haven't been able to make this happen again.

Has anyone else experienced this again? Like I don't even know what I should do since I can't make it happen again.

By the way I have a California RT 1
Sponsored

Js1tr3

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mme awd std range
Occupation
EES
Country flag
I had the opposite problem, backing out of the driveway in one pedal mode, stopped ( lifted off the accelerator) on the apron to let a passing car go by. When i pressed the pedal again, the car went forward (uphill). Without touching gear knob. Display still said R. It Was spooky. Shifting to park and back resumed the expected behavior. I thought maybe it was a weird issue with traction control if I had one of the front wheels lifted, but I haven't been able to reproduce. I have an awd std range.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
I would take it into a dealer just in case so they can contact Ford engineering, even if you can't reproduce the problem. They might go ahead and replace the gear shift module.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I would take it into a dealer just in case so they can contact Ford engineering, even if you can't reproduce the problem. They might go ahead and replace the gear shift module.
This sounds like a software issue, not a problem with the physical knob. The internal logs/diagnostics might help, but you'd need to get them to pull the logs ASAP. The high level of detail needed may not stick around long

Reactions: ARK

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This sounds like a software issue, not a problem with the physical knob. The internal logs/diagnostics might help, but you'd need to get them to pull the logs ASAP. The high level of detail needed may not stick around long
Agreed. This is definitely an issue that Ford needs to get eyes on right away.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Out of curiosity how fast after turning the car on did you shift out of park? I’ve never had this particular issue occur, but have noticed on the Mach-E (and other cars), if I turn the vehicle on and immediately shift into gear and start moving, particularly reverse, I’m much more likely to have the rear view camera fail to turn on (only happened once with the Mach-E, but numerous times with other cars), or have the infotainment system not turn on at all (has not happened on the Mach-E, has happened with other cars).

OP
OP

Nuno1122

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach -E CA RT1
Country flag
Out of curiosity how fast after turning the car on did you shift out of park? I’ve never had this particular issue occur, but have noticed on the Mach-E (and other cars), if I turn the vehicle on and immediately shift into gear and start moving, particularly reverse, I’m much more likely to have the rear view camera fail to turn on (only happened once with the Mach-E, but numerous times with other cars), or have the infotainment system not turn on at all (has not happened on the Mach-E, has happened with other cars).
So the car was on for a while we drove it to a restaurant the issue happened once we were parking.

But switching gears I wait until the home screen is done loading

OP
OP

Nuno1122

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach -E CA RT1
Country flag
So I called ford service near me and explained what happened the tech looked up to see if any reports. He didn't see anything the only thing he said could be done is to take it in and he would plug it in to see if there are any faults. But the dealership isn't open weekends to plug it in so I need to find a time this week to take it in.

LordNadimi

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
IT administator
I had this exact issue yesterday. My car is a First Edition delivered to me may- 2021.
I had the car park by the side of the road. When i came back there was cars parked in front and behind me. I needed to reverse Abit to create the space ahead of me. When then i put the gear to drive and wanted to go forward the car had different plans. Went backward and bumped the car behind me.
This even happened after removing the 12v battery power for 2 minutes.
But the next day, it was back to normal.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
This obviously is a safety issue. They need to get to the bottom of it. Doesn't sound like a complicated problem but a bad contact in the gear selector or whatever controls the motor rotation direction.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Happened to me also once, first edition on latest software available (including the GSM update), but also by going forward while in reverse. Restarting, switching back and forth between all gear selections did nothing. What eventually made it possible for me to back out again was turning off one-pedal.

Backup camera, parking sensors, and everything telling it was in reverse was working, so clearly to me some kind of fault in the inverters running motors in wrong direction as everything else was in reverse mode.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
Happened to me also once, first edition on latest software available (including the GSM update), but also by going forward while in reverse. Restarting, switching back and forth between all gear selections did nothing. What eventually made it possible for me to back out again was turning off one-pedal.

Backup camera, parking sensors, and everything telling it was in reverse was working, so clearly to me some kind of fault in the inverters running motors in wrong direction as everything else was in reverse mode.
what you think makes sense. Two things control the moving direction, gear selector and current flowing direction which is directed by some sort of switch.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
so this just happened earlier today and after letting the car rest for about an hr I have not been able to recreate the issue.

So what happened was I backed in to a parking spot. Then put the car in drive stepped on the pedal and the car went backwards. I stopped thought about what happened put the car back in reverse stepped down and the car went back as expected turned the knob back to drive stepped down and the car went back again luckily for me I didn't hit the car behind me. So at that point I just turned the car off and left. I waited for the car that was behind me to leave that way if my car went backwards again I wouldnt hit it. And I haven't been able to make this happen again.

Has anyone else experienced this again? Like I don't even know what I should do since I can't make it happen again.

By the way I have a California RT 1
Stuff like that has happened to me several times. In my case, either I rotated the dial the wrong way or not enough because I would look at the display and lights on the dial to find an unexpected setting. D when I was trying for R or vice-versa. Sometimes I end up in N by accident and occasionally I throw it into P instead of D when I finish backing up.

That dial confuses me sometimes.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
what you think makes sense. Two things control the moving direction, gear selector and current flowing direction which is directed by some sort of switch.
Actually its kind of just one of them. The inverters just makes the frequencies backwards, which electrically is the same as switching any two of the three connections to the motors. It is all done digitally so there is no additional switch as the inverters already control the speed and direction by the frequency made using transistors(IGBTs).

Since the "gear selector" (GSM module) is connected to the other systems via digital bus there is no reason for the inverters to not have picked up the change, as all the other systems probably is actually getting this from the inverter itself. There is no transmission control unit as there is no transmission, so inverter or "powertrain control unit" is handling it all and should be the source of truth for all.

I find it strange that there is no fault detection on this as it would be very noticeable for the braking system to see that the car is going in the wrong direction, as in one pedal mode it should prevent that from happening. In my case I think I looked for error codes also after and could not find anything.

LordNadimi

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
IT administator
The car has been with dealership today for testing and for updates. They haven't found anything wrong yet. They will continue testing tomorrow.

I double checked the dial so many times. Ofcourse when something like this happens you don't think it's the cars fault. But the D was lighting up on the screen as well as on the dial. The car just wanted to go backwards. When i did get it out of the slot we noticed that it went back a few meters before starting going forward. This happened many times. When i woke up today and drove it to the dealership everything was back to normal.

One other oddity that was occuring during this crazy situation was the signals for going left and right. They usually make this ticking sound in a Rhythm. While now they were completely off sync, jumping over beats and sometimes doing a reggaeton beat.

Also i was getting error messages for the reverse braking guidance.
Sponsored