scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Finally, I finished my little project of logging and vlogging the entire revised charging curve from 0-100%.

Enjoy!

Here's the summary graph that shows what I found:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Revised Charging Curve: Video and Data! (Nearly 1 Hr Faster!) charge curve.009
Sponsored

Last edited:

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Mach-E GT, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Great video. Thanks. How do I determine if my car has the software upgrade that enables the improved charging? Was it an OTA upgrde?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
this is great, rain-covered screen and all. 😉

thanks for posting it. 🙂

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Great video. But I question the increase in usable battery capacity.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Great video. But I question the increase in usable battery capacity.
I wondered that myself. This was I think the first I had heard of such a thing from this update (vs. the later cars that shipped with higher usable in the first place).

There's been a lot of around and around on here about whether Job 1 cars would get the increased usable - there's been statements from Ford that seem to say yes and that seem to say no - but I'd think if 21P22 did have it, we'd know?

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Great video. Thanks. How do I determine if my car has the software upgrade that enables the improved charging? Was it an OTA upgrde?
TLDR: if you're asking this, you prob don't have it ....
  • 2022: you should have this from the factory
  • 2021: you can get this if you qualify for the "CSP 21P22" update, which is where you can get your dealer to flash lots of stuff that is stuck behind Ford's messed-up OTA infrastructure. See here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...gram-21p22-software-calibration-update.11677/
    • If you don't officially qualify for 21P22, you might be able to find a nice dealer who will update your modules, or you can perhaps find a forum member with FDRS to help you

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wondered that myself. This was I think the first I had heard of such a thing from this update (vs. the later cars that shipped with higher usable in the first place).

There's been a lot of around and around on here about whether Job 1 cars would get the increased usable - there's been statements from Ford that seem to say yes and that seem to say no - but I'd think if 21P22 did have it, we'd know?
A lot of people seem to be guessing that it did because there are PIDs that report energy in the 91kWh range through Carscanner. But I’m not sure that’s been thoroughly compared between cars before and after the updates, and I really don’t think the numbers reported there are accurate enough to tell anyway. If Ford was including an increase in capacity in current updates, I have no doubt they would be touting it. They could use a win in the software update department.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Yes I agree, the evidence does seem somewhat indeterminate actually.

I show 90.4 (I think offhand) usable kWH after full to 100%. Does anyone have actual OBD-II PID data from their non-updated car to show whether it reports 88 kWH so we can compare?

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
A lot of people seem to be guessing that it did because there are PIDs that report energy in the 91kWh range through Carscanner. But I’m not sure that’s been thoroughly compared between cars before and after the updates, and I really don’t think the numbers reported there are accurate enough to tell anyway. If Ford was including an increase in capacity in current updates, I have no doubt they would be touting it. They could use a win in the software update department.
Perhaps -- but on the other hand, if you're relying on that last 2 kWH to make it to your next charger, you are living life much more on the edge than I....

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Finally, I finished my little project of logging and vlogging the entire revised charging curve from 0-100%.

Enjoy!

Here's the summary graph that shows what I found:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Revised Charging Curve: Video and Data! (Nearly 1 Hr Faster!) charge curve.009
I’m so jealous you’ve got one of the fancy big EA stations

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’m so jealous you’ve got one of the fancy big EA stations
They are just as messed up sometimes as the less fancy stations. This is what the 350 charger I wanted to use for that video looked like, it was hopelessly crashed and EA couldn't even reset it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Revised Charging Curve: Video and Data! (Nearly 1 Hr Faster!) PXL_20220319_214727261

Blue PonyE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Montana, 2016 Leaf, 2021 First Edition
Country flag
I do not have a carscanner , but I noticed this morning my 100% charge (going on long trip) on my home Blink charger was 64.7 KWHs after starting at 35% SOC on the GOM POS. If I started with 30.8 KWH and put in 64.7 KWH and I've never good at Maths, but that adds up to 95.5 KWH, far above the 88 KWH I'm supposed to have available. I had a 10,000 mile service last week and may have had CSP 21P22 patch applied.

If I have 95+ KWH available, my miles per KWH are far below what is advertised on the GOM.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do not have a carscanner , but I noticed this morning my 100% charge (going on long trip) on my home Blink charger was 64.7 KWHs after starting at 35% SOC on the GOM POS. If I started with 30.8 KWH and put in 64.7 KWH and I've never good at Maths, but that adds up to 95.5 KWH, far above the 88 KWH I'm supposed to have available. I had a 10,000 mile service last week and may have had CSP 21P22 patch applied.

If I have 95+ KWH available, my miles per KWH are far below what is advertised on the GOM.
That's not going to tell you anything without knowing the exact losses in the charging process.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That's not going to tell you anything without knowing the exact losses in the charging process.
The car also has PID for total energy capacity usable which I assume is an accurate representation from the battery electronics of how much capacity is left. @Blue PonyE I think you need to look at Car Scanner data for proper precision here.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The car also has PID for total energy capacity usable which I assume is an accurate representation from the battery electronics of how much capacity is left.
I don't know that we can assume it's accuracy without comparisons between the values before and after the updates.
Sponsored