benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This won't be the same thing for Ford. Techs should be able to drop the battery and be able to open up the pack to make repairs.

Now, initially it may be hard to find a dealer that has all the equipment, or fully trained techs, but eventually it should be just like any other repair at a dealer. GM is able to do this on their EV's as well. The current Bolt recall has dealers checking pack status and either replacing single modules inside the pack, or the whole pack if multiple modules are bad.

Teslsa's issue is that they don't have the anyone capable of opening a pack at their authorized repair centers. And instead of just swapping it out or sending it off to be repaired, their only solution is to sell you a whole new pack.

I also don't see ford blacklisting cars if you repair something yourself, which Tesla has been known to do.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A cheap integrated plastic nipple that you can cut off with a carpet knife certainly does not sound military grade to me. Of course Tesla has the best engineers to design a pack that is a write off over a plastic nipple. 100% cost for a new pack and they keep and reuse all the good cells out of the old. Sounds about what to expect based on my limited experience. As long as you have no problems Tesla's are gr8.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yes lets not compare Ford to Tesla for being able to service. Ford has a good track record with letting the consumer fix their own. One problem could be the cost for the actual parts. Battery components are expensive and many will not have the tools to drop the battery pack. The donor market helps to drive pricing and since production is low first few years there might not be much available.

Time will tell.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
A cheap integrated plastic nipple that you can cut off with a carpet knife certainly does not sound military grade to me. Of course Tesla has the best engineers to design a pack that is a write off over a plastic nipple. 100% cost for a new pack and they keep and reuse all the good cells out of the old. Sounds about what to expect based on my limited experience. As long as you have no problems Tesla's are gr8.
You watched that video too :)

Remember Tesla is in business to make money, sounded like a catch 22 to me.

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Right to repair doesn't mean as much on an EV where you simply can't fix many issues yourself anyway.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Tesla does not blacklist a car because it has been repaired outside the service center. They blacklist cars if they have a "salvage" title. In fact there are several "non-Tesla" repair centers in my area. I expect Ford may go the same route. Some cars have been blacklisted for "hacks" and certain modifications they might deem dangerous (whether they are or not). Again, I expect Ford to follow suit. BTW Ferrari does much the same for their ICE cars -- and MORE.

"You can’t modify the engine, have custom bodywork, get it painted in garish colors, or cover the Ferrari badge. The colors pink, rose, and salmon are strictly forbidden. Any of the above are considered “tampering” with the car.
Additionally, all maintenance work must be performed by an authorized Ferrari dealer. If not the warranty is voided and you are placed on a list of those forbidden from purchasing a new Ferrari in the future."

No Matter What You Have You Can't Buy A New Ferrari (motorbiscuit.com)

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tesla does not blacklist a car because it has been repaired outside the service center. They blacklist cars if they have a "salvage" title. In fact there are several "non-Tesla" repair centers in my area. I expect Ford may go the same route. Some cars have been blacklisted for "hacks" and certain modifications they might deem dangerous (whether they are or not). Again, I expect Ford to follow suit. BTW Ferrari does much the same for their ICE cars -- and MORE.

"You can’t modify the engine, have custom bodywork, get it painted in garish colors, or cover the Ferrari badge. The colors pink, rose, and salmon are strictly forbidden. Any of the above are considered “tampering” with the car.
Additionally, all maintenance work must be performed by an authorized Ferrari dealer. If not the warranty is voided and you are placed on a list of those forbidden from purchasing a new Ferrari in the future."

No Matter What You Have You Can't Buy A New Ferrari (motorbiscuit.com)
That's the thing though, This one repair could potentially have caused this car to be salvaged if he decided to go the route of making a claim on his insurance and depending on the insurance company.

Just from the things I've seen Tesla do to to try and control things on these cars after the sale, it wouldn't surprise me if they said altering the Cooling loop to the battery is a safety concern and they will disable fast charging. That was their reasoning for disabling other cars. They could easily do an inspection and see if it still is road worthy to re-instate a car, but they don't.

Ford doesn't disable other cars from functioning after they have a salvage title. At that point its up to the state to inspect a car that it has been repaired and able to be driven again, and labeled as rebuilt. If a Tesla gets salvaged for hail damage, is that a real reason to disable the car from charging?

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Can't void a warranty if you have basic maintenance (oil changes, etc.) done at a non-authorized dealer, no matter what Ferrari might say. But, according to the page below, Ferrari gives you 7 years of maintenance so why would you go anywhere else?

I've never owned a Ferrari, or likely will, so my expertise is a bit limited here.

https://www.thedrive.com/car-warranty/31287/ferrari-warranty

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes lets not compare Ford to Tesla for being able to service. Ford has a good track record with letting the consumer fix their own. One problem could be the cost for the actual parts. Battery components are expensive and many will not have the tools to drop the battery pack. The donor market helps to drive pricing and since production is low first few years there might not be much available.

Time will tell.
Ford came up with a module for me and once it was determined to be the root cause it toke a week to get it in. I agree not cheap! Even a second key is not. I may not of had such good luck without the help of our local service guys (slam them if people will they are really on your side most of the time but team means two ways). You go in expecting bad things then; just saying. For me it has been an all around a good experience so far.

Single tier out of California certainly did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling after experiencing the way I was treated before they had my money. Made the right choice with an MME I think so far. Don't want to dint it or have too many problems for the first couple of years. I have been really lucky with that so far ;). All good.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
The one difference between Ford and Tesla is you can buy any of Ford’s diagnostic equipment, software, firmware, access to repair manual, wiring diagrams, and every single part from Ford! I can update every single module in any of my Fords right now. You can’t easily do that with Tesla. The only thing I can’t do is key programming because I don’t have NASTF credentials.
Sponsored