RIP Car Icon (2019 - 2023)

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Look at those tiny buttons shoved up in the corner of that functionally useless picture though. Why not turn the car to the left and put tap zones for the frunk, charge port, and trunk
Totally agree, that UI design is terrible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Totally agree, that UI design is terrible.
Take that functionally useless picture of the car, make it a driver side profile instead and make the 3 sections of the car big touch zones to open the frunk, charge port, and trunk.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
Take that functionally useless picture of the car, make it a driver side profile instead and make the 3 sections of the car big touch zones to open the frunk, charge port, and trunk.
It would make much more sense to have the buttons overlay zones that they impact. However, it is my guess that they did not do that because of all of the different rim options on each model. Personally I wish they would personalize the graphics and rims or at least enable the user to choose the color and rims on the graphic. However, as I said, not the highest priority as it is not active while the car is driving, however, my preference would be to have those three icons appear in the header when they can be pressed. This would be much more functional and would also eliminate this issue.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It would make much more sense to have the buttons overlay zones that they impact. However, it is my guess that they did not do that because of all of the different rim options on each model.
I get the wheel issue. Then do top down, but landscape. No issues there except color. The pano roof even looks the same either way. I just made this mock-up in 10 minutes on my phone.
Ford Mustang Mach-E RIP Car Icon (2019 - 2023) AA31C26C-BD7A-4157-A1BC-A573818F1F22

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get the wheel issue. Then do top down, but landscape. No issues there except color. The pano roof even looks the same either way. I just made this mock-up in 10 minutes on my phone.
Ford Mustang Mach-E RIP Car Icon (2019 - 2023) AA31C26C-BD7A-4157-A1BC-A573818F1F22
I really like where you are going, but I would prefer this image (a few more seconds of tweaks).

Ford Mustang Mach-E RIP Car Icon (2019 - 2023) reworked graphic

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really like where you are going, but I would prefer this image (a few more seconds of tweaks).

Ford Mustang Mach-E RIP Car Icon (2019 - 2023) reworked graphic
That would work too. I was just trying to keep some symmetry wit the icons. Either is better than what they have right now.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

reworked graphic.jpg
Ok, what I really would like to see is to not have to go to the settings to be able to open the trunk, frunk or unlock the DCFC connector is to have it in the menu bar-just like the CarPlay icon only shows up if one is deep in the menus that you can't hit the "x".

This is an actual photo.

Ford Mustang Mach-E RIP Car Icon (2019 - 2023) 4 icons cro

To me it is completely non-intuitive and unnecessary to make this a two step process and have to go to the the settings to get to the screen where then I can open the trunk, frunk or DCFC unlock. I think when you are in park the icons should just appear in the header bar. Using the style of the buttons that are there now:

When in park (mockup):

Ford Mustang Mach-E RIP Car Icon (2019 - 2023) 5 icons cro

or in park and using DCFC (mockup):

Ford Mustang Mach-E RIP Car Icon (2019 - 2023) during fast chargin

And in a perfect world, one could add a macro that a user may want to have (like auto hold) accessible only when it is available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, what I really would like to see is to not have to go to the settings to be able to open the trunk, frunk or unlock the DCFC connector is to have it in the menu bar-just like the CarPlay icon only shows up if one is deep in the menus that you can't hit the "x".

This is an actual photo.

To me it is completely non-intuitive and unnecessary to make this a two step process and have to go to the the settings to get to the screen where then I can open the trunk, frunk or DCFC unlock. I think when you are in park the icons should just appear in the header bar. Using the style of the buttons that are there now:

When in park (mockup):

or in park and using DCFC (mockup):

And in a perfect world, one could add a macro that a user may want to have (like auto hold) accessible only when it is available.
I get that some people need that, but to me that’s a lot of clutter. I haven’t hit the trunk, charge port, or frunk buttons on sync once in 20 months of ownership. I don’t have any need for them.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get that some people need that, but to me that’s a lot of clutter. I haven’t hit the trunk, charge port, or frunk buttons on sync once in 20 months of ownership. I don’t have any need for them.
All the more reason to have any buttons in that bar a Macro button. I do use the trunk and frunk buttons. And while it is far better with 4.1.2/4.1.3, it should be easier. A macro function and to use the white space has been one of my asks since 3 weeks after I purchased the car (although then I did not call out trunk and frunk at that point). While the new UI is greatly improved, I would like to see that white space be used for something much more practical-and setup per user. My post from June 1, 2022.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/2023-mach-e-feature-wishlist.17738/#post-433565

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Could it be improved- yes… however,
since those 3 buttons are only used when the car is parked, not a major concern IMHO.
A fair point - but my main concern with that screen is the amount of time it takes to come up and be functional. 2 or 3 seconds feels like forever. I can get out and be at the back of the car and press the button in nearly the same amount of time, so if I wait on it I'm wasting time. Nitpicking? Perhaps. But I still think it's a valid complaint and putting the frunk/trunk release buttons on the top bar would be awesome.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A fair point - but my main concern with that screen is the amount of time it takes to come up and be functional. 2 or 3 seconds feels like forever. I can get out and be at the back of the car and press the button in nearly the same amount of time, so if I wait on it I'm wasting time. Nitpicking? Perhaps. But I still think it's a valid complaint and putting the frunk/trunk release buttons on the top bar would be awesome.
I have found that since 4.1.2 the lag on the display is really minimized. I would just really like to see macro functions and a dynamic "white space" just like the CarPlay button that is ONLY there when it is relevant.

I do hope Ford is reading this thread.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I have found that since 4.1.2 the lag on the display is really minimized. I would just really like to see macro functions and a dynamic "white space" just like the CarPlay button that is ONLY there when it is relevant.

I do hope Ford is reading this thread.
Agreed on all counts, although I'm not sure what you mean by macro functions. The UI lag is much better overall except for the aforementioned trunk opening. Is yours slow too or am I the only one that has that issue?

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed on all counts, although I'm not sure what you mean by macro functions. The UI lag is much better overall except for the aforementioned trunk opening. Is yours slow too or am I the only one that has that issue?
I just timed how long it takes currently to press the settings and then trunk. I tried it twice. The trunk starts to open in less than 3 seconds from when I first push the settings button.

So while I am truly happy with the changes made with 4.1.2 where I got the camera button and other items are far more accessible with fewer clicks, Ford has an opportunity to continue to improving the UI.

A macro function to me means a user can select what one touch buttons they may want to be accessible at any time instead of having to drill down into a deeper menu. For some random examples of what a user can choose to they want to always be in the white bar at the top of the screen in let's say the 4th and 5th position (next to Home, settings and camera):

Driver 1 may want Pandora and navigation
Driver 2 may want iHeartRadio, and trip energy
Driver 3 may want Media and Radio
Driver 4 may want Charging and AutoHold
Driver 5 wants nothing else in the menu bar
Driver 6 wants the Phone and Tire pressure
etc.

Those are Macro functions (at least in my definition). Something that each individual driver can pre-select to always be available to them in the mostly blank space on-top of the screen. If a user does not want them, then they don't appear.

Positions 6,7 & 8 would be available for pop up icons that are only relevant when available e.g.:
CarPlay/Android Auto, trunk, frunk, charge unlock etc., or perhaps the two user icons appear on the right and Ford chooses what happens to the left.

Either way-what is there now is a big improvement. Just hoping that Ford does not stop improving the user experience.
Sponsored