SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
We're on a short weekend jaunt and came across a Rivian charging. I parked my Tacoma next to it to get an idea of its size, etc. The R1T's length is about 8 inches less than the Tacoma (sure, you can read the specs, but it's nice to see it in reality). The height is only a bit taller, and it's a bit wider. Nice looking truck that R1T, IMO. My Taco was fairly dirty from some recent adventures, so please look past that.

I now have an order in for the R1T. Maybe I'll be able to buy one sometime in the next five years...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rivian R1T PXL_20220219_151921219

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rivian R1T PXL_20220219_151933193

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rivian R1T PXL_20220219_151944050

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rivian R1T PXL_20220219_151956274

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Maybe it’s just me, but that front end, …. I don’t know. Not working for me.
Ha! Fair enough.

There are a lot of vehicles on the road that I look at and think, "someone was proud of their design work?" I'm happy we have different tastes and aesthetics. The world is far more interesting because of it. ?

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
If I wanted/needed a truck, I'd definitely have to look at one and compare to the Lightning.
I do a fair amount of towing equipment to/from my the middle of the desert where I grew up. I don't *need* a truck, but I often have a need for a truck. I prefer the mid-size of a Tacoma.

There are rumors that Toyota is going to catch up with a Tacoma-like BEV.

I have an order in for the R1T and a reserved spot to order a Lightning (no idea when I will be able to convert that to an actual order). Whichever vehicle (Taco, R1T, Lightning) is available to me first and offers around 300-500 mile range with a towing capacity of at least 6500 pounds will be the one I buy...

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Rivian sent me an email with a huge price jump (23%) today.

As much as I want to support electric vehicle adoption, we were reconsidering given the already high price. But with the massive increase, we can't even begin to consider it as a viable purchase.

Oh, well, keeping the F-150 Lightning reservation for now.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yup. Rivian is really giving nearly everyone a giant FU.

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1837601

And to think about all the whining on here that happened around "my price cut meant a price increase"... when this is an actual, massive price increase.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Yup. Rivian is really giving nearly everyone a giant FU.

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1837601

And to think about all the whining on here that happened around "my price cut meant a price increase"... when this is an actual, massive price increase.
Yeah.

The thing that really irks me about this is the bald-faced lie that this is caused by "inflation." What a simplistic and insulting claim.

Their former VP of marketing warned them that they had priced the vehicles too low. But apparently they wanted to have a lower price for their IPO, which says something about their integrity and that something is backed up by the way they did this price increase.

I'm annoyed mostly with myself for not more carefully investigating the company before placing my order. The trucks look fantastic on paper and in person. But there are some major red flags about this company that I've found since the price increase. I should have done my homework better.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Yeah, I got that email. Trying to decide if I'm going to go back.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
We've decided to drop Rivian and wait for the F-150 or Tacoma EV. I hate driving a gas-powered Tacoma, but it's paid for and we don't need another mortgage right now.
Sponsored