Road and Track: The Ford Mustang Mach-E Is Not Built for Sustained Track Performance

Blitz118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge ST
Country flag
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...is-not-built-for-sustained-track-performance/

When Porsche launched its first electric car, the company made clear that it had prioritized sustained performance over extended periods of hard usage. Ford is making its position equally clear: the Mustang Mach-E was not built with sustained performance as one of its goals.

That's what Dave Pericak, Ford's global director of icons that headed up the Mach-E's development, told us when asked if the car could handle one or more laps at the NĂĽrburgring. When pressed further, Ford's global EV communications manager Emma Bergg had a simple response: it's an SUV. And she's right, that's not usually priority one for SUV buyers.

Neither are burnouts. We got mixed answers on whether traction control could be fully defeated: a yes from Pericak, followed by no from Chief Program Engineer Ron Heiser, followed by a final answer from Pericak that the team would be making changes before the final release next year. But that left a broader question. If it's not for the track, if it might not rip burnouts, if it's available with all-wheel drive, if it's a four-door, if it's electric, and if it's a crossover, then what exactly links the Mach-E to the Mustang brand?

Because while the Mustang stands for accessible performance and fun, Ford has had a lot accessible performance cars that aren't Mustangs. The Focus RS, for instance, shares an engine with the Mustang EcoBoost High-Performance Pack, which is more than the Mach-E shares with any current Mustang coupe. It was also cheaper than the Mustang Mach-E, as were the Fiesta ST and Focus ST. They're not Mustangs, though.

So if it's not cheap performance nor form factor nor driven wheels nor power source that makes a Mustang, it's not immediately apparent what does. What the Mustang means, Pericak said, is hard to define directly.

"It's hard to put words to, but we know when we do it right," Pericak said. According to him, there's a soul and a holistic experience that defines the Mustang brand. It's not a faster version of a normal car, it's a performance product that has "the whole equation figured out."

But now that equation has new variables. And he'll openly admit that to solve it, you're going to have to make compromises. He noted that there are "inherent limitations in the silhouette of the car" that made development harder. An electric platform can lower the center of gravity on an EV crossover, but by definition it'll never be quite as low and sleek as a coupe or sedan could be. As Pericak put it, "there's a reason that F1 cars don't look like SUVs."

What's important to point out — and Pericak did — is that the Mach-E is not supplanting Ford's mainstay pony car. Track-oriented buyers can still get a Shelby GT350R, burnout enthusiasts will always gobble up GTs, and autocross fanatics can still order an EcoBoost High-Performance Package.

This car likely won't be bought by people deciding between it and a GT500. Instead, the Mach-E is for fans of the Mustang brand — current owners or otherwise — that want to get a new, exciting experience. Those buyers don't care about Nürburgring times and, frankly, the Mach-E is far from the first Mustang that isn't built for abuse on a race track.

The Mustang, Pericak concluded, is about more than just accessible performance. It has to be rooted in authenticity. It wouldn't be authentic if they made their electric car exactly like the internal-combustion versions that came before it, just like he says it wouldn't be authentic to put fake vents on a Mustang. And though we were quick to point out that the textured front plastic bit on the Mach-E GT certainly looks like a fake grille, Pericak's larger point was clear.

It was created by Mustang engineers to drive like a Mustang. Since it can deliver that — the intangible Mustang soul Pericak describes — he says it's a true Mustang. Until we drive a finished version, we can't say if that's the honest-to-God truth or just marketing speak.
Sponsored

BadaBing

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang & Explorer
Country flag
Just read this article too. As I expected, the Mach-E isn't meant to replace the 2-door coupe as a sports car. And that's why Mustang fans don't need to worry about them axing the Mustang coupe because of the Mach-E. If anything the Mach-E will help save the Mustang from getting axed completely.

And no surprise it wasn't developed to be able to launch and track like a Taycan can. That's a Porsche and costs $200k.

I couldn't tell from the article but it sounds like Pericak is saying that traction control is being tweaked and will be able to be turned off completely by the time they release the car?

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They downplay the fact that it can be a performance/track car. It's really disappointing to see that when the Model X (albeit much more expensive) is a definite track SUV, and the Model Y Performance will be able to be tracked as well. I'm sure it will still be fine to go around a track, but not having the backing of Ford or confidence from them to do so is a real pity and hit to the spirit of this vehicle.

Res Nullius

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf, X3
Country flag
They downplay the fact that it can be a performance/track car. It's really disappointing to see that when the Model X (albeit much more expensive) is a definite track SUV, and the Model Y Performance will be able to be tracked as well. I'm sure it will still be fine to go around a track, but not having the backing of Ford or confidence from them to do so is a real pity and hit to the spirit of this vehicle.
How is the Model X a track SUV? Sure it handles well for a 5,550 lb behemoth, but it's not what most people would call a trackable vehicle. Yes, you can put it on a track but it won't be your typical track experience.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Ready for the flaming, but not being one of the mustang faithful the last thing this car needs to do it drive like a mustang. You look at the dimensions and you can see the electric c-max replacement origins so just a longer focus with a bit more head room and ground clearance.

Wile weight is always going to be an issue with any BEV I would expect the GT to perform and handle more in line of that of a performance tuned focus that has eat one too many pies rather than a wallowing SUV. If they can get it to feel like it rotates around the center then it should still be fun to drive through the twisties.

As the GT is well over a year away there is still plenty of time for tweaks and updates. Would also be nice to see a few more bits from c2 performance parts bin such as the flat bottom steering wheel and faster steering ratio make there way onto the GT, and hopefully some proper rubber where they ditch the p-zeros for pilot sport 4s

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
How is the Model X a track SUV? Sure it handles well for a 5,550 lb behemoth, but it's not what most people would call a trackable vehicle. Yes, you can put it on a track but it won't be your typical track experience.
It's just as much as a Jeep Trackhawk is. Here's a video of a few cars going around a little course. Very unofficial but it's an example.

at 4 minutes for the Trackhawk, and 7:40 for the Model X.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Ford builds an EV and calls it a Mustang. That's not to say that EV buyers were looking for a Mustang in the first place. This is where Ford may get into trouble.

However, my guess is that EV buyers will be careless to opinions like the one from the author of this article. May like the styling with the Pony, space, performance, features, price and go ahead and buy a four door hatchback.

This isn't going to be the only car in this category. There will likely be many and I suspect the performance aspect wont be the first thing buyers talk about but it will be there anyway. There are plenty of BMW 3 series sedans that have shamed a stock Mustang from light to light but performance was not the BMW's key feature. I should know, I used to drive a sport coupe and was shocked to be challenged by a Volvo and shown the truth.

As to the two door coupe, my thoughts drift towards a specialty vehicle like the Corvette. Not high volume but has a loyal following. It might be pricy though,

My bet is your average person is going to go for the convenience of four doors and a hatchback.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have a feeling they aren't promoting track performance because it will cause excess wear and tear. They're probably fearful because they don't have the data to back up any statements of it's longevity since it's their first car. Tesla can throw a special (upcoming) model S on the nurburgring because they have 7 or 8 years of experience and data with their cars.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Track performance isn't relevant for a car intended for daily use on public roads. It does need to be fun to drive so that buyers will like it.

Where I live there are winding roads that I drive on to reach destinations for recreation, such as HWY 1 in northern California and all the roads connecting HWY 1 to HWY 101. I had a BMW for many years that didn't seem challenged by those routes at all at the speed of the traffic flow of the other cars. I can't say that's true for my Volt. Partly do to the eco tires, but mainly do to FWD. I put up with it, and most of my driving is done in places where it isn't an issue at all.

Some performance considerations are welcome, but don't talk to me about track cars. This car is not a Ferrari type street legal race car pure and simple.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I have a feeling they aren't promoting track performance because it will cause excess wear and tear. They're probably fearful because they don't have the data to back up any statements of it's longevity since it's their first car. Tesla can throw a special (upcoming) model S on the nurburgring because they have 7 or 8 years of experience and data with their cars.
I have been following the stories about the Model S plaid. I want to remind everyone that Musk has a performance car. It's the roadster and that will be your trackable street legal racing car.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have been following the stories about the Model S plaid. I want to remind everyone that Musk has a performance car. It's the roadster and that will be your trackable street legal racing car.
That roadster will be ridiculous. Back to the Mach E performance, I'm just glad they showed it doing a slalom at the event. It gives me confidence that I will be able to efficiently maneuver and dodge all the potholes we get in Kansas City, lol.

Shihear

First Name
Shihear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350
Country flag
That roadster will be ridiculous. Back to the Mach E performance, I'm just glad they showed it doing a slalom at the event. It gives me confidence that I will be able to efficiently maneuver and dodge all the potholes we get in Kansas City, lol.
Yea if it didn't handle well you can bet they wouldn't have put it on a slalom at the reveal event and give rides to auto journalists. Just cuz you can't keep launching the Mach-E without performance degradation doesn't mean it won't be a great handling car.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Falcon
Country flag
The article is hilarious. It goes around in circles before ending with "It was created by Mustang engineers to drive like a Mustang. Since it can deliver that — the intangible Mustang soul Pericak describes — he says it's a true Mustang. Until we drive a finished version, we can't say if that's the honest-to-God truth or just marketing speak."

Here's a clue. How about you wait until you drive it before questioning how good or bad it may or may not handle.

And any Mustang that hasn't got the relevant coolers can't be tracked. This is no different in that it is engineered firstly as a passenger vehicle, and being an SUV it much less likely to be tracked.

Mustang DNA. The seating position is the same as the Mustang's, the looks are the same as Mustang's, the straight line performance exceeds any Mustang besides the GT500, and the handling would probably be better most large fwd sedans on the market. What makes a Mustang? Ford made it a Mustang. Period.

falcon lover

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes-Benz A180
Occupation
Medical Doctor
Country flag
False. Is not a track SUV. After 2 or 3 laps, the powerplant will be as hot as a teenager in a Victoria´s Secret Show...

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
False. Is not a track SUV. After 2 or 3 laps, the powerplant will be as hot as a teenager in a Victoria´s Secret Show...
No doubt about that. It's not an endurance car for a track but you can drive it a couple laps for some fun. Also, as long as that teenager is 18+, that is a great visual, lol.
Sponsored