Road and Track: The Ford Mustang Mach-E Is Not Built for Sustained Track Performance

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
If anything the Mach-E will help save the Mustang from getting axed completely.
That's the big point most people have to understand. For example Europe already gave carmakers some pretty crazy numbers how low the CO² pollution of their solds cars in average has to be in the future. If they fail they have to pay millions as a punishment.

These number are just not reachable if you sell anything else but small vehicles. So to still offer cars like Focus RS, Mustang, etc have to sell vehicles with alternative powertrains that can even out the powerful internal combustion engine cars. If for every Mustang GT one Mach E has to be on the roads, then it's way better than having no normal Mustangs at all anymore.

Also DougDeMuro made a perfect point in his video about the Mach E: If you talk about electric cars, Tesla is THE benchmark for everything. Every electric car has to compare against Tesla. And even if your electric car has a great range, is fun to drive and is reasonable priced, you will stillhave a hard time sell it against Tesla models. But Ford has a name, that can compete with Tesla: Mustang. They knew it will cause a lot of attention to name the Mach E Mustang, but now they have a BIG name in the electric car branch that everybody can relate too.

TopGears video about the Mach-E just got more views in 3 days than their video of the brand new VW ID.3 got in 2 and half months! They really got the marketing right here
Sponsored

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
Track performance isn't relevant for a car intended for daily use on public roads. It does need to be fun to drive so that buyers will like it.

Where I live there are winding roads that I drive on to reach destinations for recreation, such as HWY 1 in northern California and all the roads connecting HWY 1 to HWY 101. I had a BMW for many years that didn't seem challenged by those routes at all at the speed of the traffic flow of the other cars. I can't say that's true for my Volt. Partly do to the eco tires, but mainly do to FWD. I put up with it, and most of my driving is done in places where it isn't an issue at all.

Some performance considerations are welcome, but don't talk to me about track cars. This car is not a Ferrari type street legal race car pure and simple.
No it's not a Ferrari, it's a Mustang...!

And everything you said above, any car can do. You don't need a Mustang to drive HWY 1, you can drive that in any econobox, or car. Or even a laughable volt...

Given your statements, I am not sure you even understand what performance is. A Mustang is fun to drive on any street, let-alone a scenic highway.

first5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ATS, 5.0, YJ
Country flag
This vehicle didn’t start life as being a mustang or mustang-inspired. It started as a boring CUV to help meet compliance and it had to be redirected because execs knew it would flop.

let’s be real. They need this electric vehicle to sell and succeed in order to be compliant and provide momentum to transition to electric.

ford went “all in” by letting the mustang name carry this vehicle and give it a fighting chance.

this vehicle isn’t saving the mustang. The mustang is helping this vehicle succeed.

anywho - the point I originally wanted to make is that the Mach-e wasn’t directed to be a performance vehicle. it was REdirected to not flop by using the mustang name and, in doing so, have enough driving characteristics to warrant the use of the name.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This vehicle didn’t start life as being a mustang or mustang-inspired. It started as a boring CUV to help meet compliance and it had to be redirected because execs knew it would flop.

let’s be real. They need this electric vehicle to sell and succeed in order to be compliant and provide momentum to transition to electric.

ford went “all in” by letting the mustang name carry this vehicle and give it a fighting chance.

this vehicle isn’t saving the mustang. The mustang is helping this vehicle succeed.

anywho - the point I originally wanted to make is that the Mach-e wasn’t directed to be a performance vehicle. it was REdirected to not flop by using the mustang name and, in doing so, have enough driving characteristics to warrant the use of the name.
I think you should watch some of the videos posted here. They went BACK to the drawing board and scrapped the compliance idea. Came back with a good looking car, then were told it wasn't a mustang, so they had to go back AGAIN to give it the performance needed to be called a mustang. Search the site. It's still young, so these videos are very, very easy to find.

first5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ATS, 5.0, YJ
Country flag
I think you should watch some of the videos posted here. They went BACK to the drawing board and scrapped the compliance idea. Came back with a good looking car, then were told it wasn't a mustang, so they had to go back AGAIN to give it the performance needed to be called a mustang. Search the site. It's still young, so these videos are very, very easy to find.
I have watched all the videos. What you are referencing is exactly what I’m referring to.

it started as a compliance vehicle. New ceo came in and wasn’t impressed. They told the team to use mustang styling. And then they thought of using the mustang name entirely. And THEN they recognized that if they are to use the name they need to have the characteristics to match the name.

I may sound a bit harsh but I’m referring to the topic of this thread in regards to the Mach-e not being a track vehicle.

The narrative behind all other mustang editions are far different than that of the Mach-e.

having said all of that - don’t misinterpret my posts. I want this to succeed and will consider one once released.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have watched all the videos. What you are referencing is exactly what I’m referring to.

it started as a compliance vehicle. New ceo came in and wasn’t impressed. They told the team to use mustang styling. And then they thought of using the mustang name entirely. And THEN they recognized that if they are to use the name they need to have the characteristics to match the name.

I may sound a bit harsh but I’m referring to the topic of this thread in regards to the Mach-e not being a track vehicle.

The narrative behind all other mustang editions are far different than that of the Mach-e.

having said all of that - don’t misinterpret my posts. I want this to succeed and will consider one once released.
Completely. I think I see where you're coming from with this. I would also say that this not being a track car is about where a regular mustang (non-GT350/500) lands as well. Glad to have you here!

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
The Mach-e doesn't have to be a track car and shouldn't be. Will some people put them on a track? Well, yes but people race lawn mowers on a track. They got nothing better to do I guess.

I agree that it will sell better if it is fun to drive. Not so sure that the race boy thing is going to help across all demographics. I think the form factor is wrong if that's what their after. Ford may be lost as to what they are trying to do I think. The hot rodders want ICE, pure and simple. The non hot rodders don't care if its a Mustang or not.

Many are just looking for another choice for an EV only to be confronted by minority Mustang performance car radicles. I heard they are only selling about 18K Mustangs a year. Not particularly high volume.

EDIT: I have discovered that Ford sold about 75K Mustangs in 2018.

Last edited:

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
Sorry but a base Mustang is no trackcar too. Without one of the performance packages it's definitely not a car just would want to drive twists raods with. Add the PP and Magnetic Ride (or another sporty aftermarket suspension) and you're there. So you can't judge the base Mach E by not being a car for corners. So for the Mach E you can go for the the GT with Magnetic Ride if sporty cornering is important.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
wellduh.gif

I bet the Shelby version they announce will be. The current Mustang has 'track' versions the 1LE for the camaro line or the Shelby GTs for the Mustang. The GT and below aren't track cars without a ton of mods.

62Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
2 things I find encouraging: there will be a Magneride option (or perhaps standard) on the GT model. That's a big deal for ride and handling.

Secondly, Ford have said there will be a Shelby version. That implies that this platform and its embedded technology can be tuned/tweaked to provide repeatable performance licks:
The trick for us is the fun-to-drive part, and sustainability in terms of charging. It needs to be capable to go all day on a trackday – you can’t do 20 minutes and then have to charge it all night.
https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/mustang/201971/ford-plans-a-hot-mustang-mach-e-shelby

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I hope the magneride is standard and the addon options are aesthetic. That way you get a good performing car, but don't have to spend extra for the looks department. Make sure that the GT has GT handling by default.

62Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
I hope the magneride is standard and the addon options are aesthetic. That way you get a good performing car, but don't have to spend extra for the looks department. Make sure that the GT has GT handling by default.
Agree, but it's not standard on the ICE GT, so my guess is it will be part of some sort of performance pack option.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
So saw the floorboard with the dead pedal in Top gear video of Mach E and it looks similar to CMAX Energi we had, is it a similar platform?

62Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
So saw the floorboard with the dead pedal in Top gear video of Mach E and it looks similar to CMAX Energi we had, is it a similar platform?
No. The MME sits on a bespoke skateboard chassis that is designed from the ground up to be an EV only vehicle. The C-Max was converted to be a hybrid or PIH (Energi) and thus had packaging compromises (particularly the Energi).

62Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
Agree, but it's not standard on the ICE GT, so my guess is it will be part of some sort of performance pack option.
That's a great point about the PP on the ICE GT, and it makes sense that Ford might follow the same path (performance packs) with the MME GT.
Sponsored