Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Just had the MME a couple of days but here are some first impressions and a couple of questions.

I have the select with AWD and the comfort/tech package. This package gives good value at 49k and the performance is certainly very adequate and still fun. The range for an around town car is all I ever need. If I go on a longer trip, I take my Toyota Rav4 Prime. It is comfortable on good surfaces. It has a fairly large learning curve and and a lot of little bugs that hopefully will be fixed. So overall I am pleased with everything except one and it is a biggie for me. I do not know if this is just my car or it is on all with my particular configuration and many people just do not notice it. While taking off and cruising there is a low frequency roar that just kills the EV quiet perception. It almost reminds me of a wheel bearing that is going bad but no clatter just a dull hum. I have the Michelin tires and I guess it is possible it is the tires but it is very disappointing to me. It is hard for me to say if it is coming from the front or the back but the entire cabin seems to be filled with it. Some people do not hear low frequency or high for that matter but I do. It does not seem like there is any unusual vibration just the low roar. Any one else experience this? Thanks all
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Just had the MME a couple of days but here are some first impressions and a couple of questions.

I have the select with AWD and the comfort/tech package. This package gives good value at 49k and the performance is certainly very adequate and still fun. The range for an around town car is all I ever need. If I go on a longer trip, I take my Toyota Rav4 Prime. It is comfortable on good surfaces. It has a fairly large learning curve and and a lot of little bugs that hopefully will be fixed. So overall I am pleased with everything except one and it is a biggie for me. I do not know if this is just my car or it is on all with my particular configuration and many people just do not notice it. While taking off and cruising there is a low frequency roar that just kills the EV quiet perception. It almost reminds me of a wheel bearing that is going bad but no clatter just a dull hum. I have the Michelin tires and I guess it is possible it is the tires but it is very disappointing to me. It is hard for me to say if it is coming from the front or the back but the entire cabin seems to be filled with it. Some people do not hear low frequency or high for that matter but I do. It does not seem like there is any unusual vibration just the low roar. Any one else experience this? Thanks all
I suspect that in a few minutes you're going to be laughing at yourself, we'll see.

The Mach-E makes noise at low speed for pedestrians. But, at speed it doesn't, so that's probably not it.

It also makes a propulsion noise, if selected, when running in Engage or Unbridled mode. Is that what you are hearing?

OP
OP

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
I suspect that in a few minutes you're going to be laughing at yourself, we'll see.

The Mach-E makes noise at low speed for pedestrians. But, at speed it doesn't, so that's probably not it.

It also makes a propulsion noise, if selected, when running in Engage or Unbridled mode. Is that what you are hearing?
very familiar with both of those situations and that is not what it is. I have have several other hybrids that had the pedestrian feature. First thing I did was to turn off the propulsion sounds

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
curses-foiled-again.gif

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Tires are often a source of low frequency noise. Some newer EV tires have a sound absorbing foam layer on the backside of the tread, inside the tire, to reduce that noise.

OP
OP

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Tires are often a source of low frequency noise. Some newer EV tires have a sound absorbing foam layer on the backside of the tread, inside the tire, to reduce that noise.
may be, these are the Michelin Primacy

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I have the select with AWD and the comfort/tech package. This package gives good value at 49k
The Premium trim has acoustic glass that’s missing from the Select. Not sure if that would make any difference with the noise you‘re hearing.

OP
OP

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
The Premium trim has acoustic glass that’s missing from the Select. Not sure if that would make any difference with the noise you‘re hearing.
That is a good a guess as any at this point. The only thing that does not add up is the fact that there are a lot of selects out there and I have never heard anyone complain about this particular noise. I was hoping someone had had the same noise and could help explain. Thanks for your idea

Buddyzer

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag

I too share this same experience and can not figure it out to the life of me. only hear at low speeds though.

MME_Adventurist

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select RWD Comfort & Tech Package
Country flag
That is a good a guess as any at this point. The only thing that does not add up is the fact that there are a lot of selects out there and I have never heard anyone complain about this particular noise. I was hoping someone had had the same noise and could help explain. Thanks for your idea
I have noticed this sound in my MME Select as well since the first day I got it. I was told it is just road noise but it is still concerning to me. I am looking forward to getting new tires on it one day to see if that makes a difference. But I’m glad I’m not the only one who hears it. I also compared it to a bad wheel bearing. Lol

moostang

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 (ordered)
Country flag
I'm curious if anyone else, in other trims, has felt bothered by road noise, especially at highway speeds? About to take delivery of our CA Rt1 RWD, and really excited about it, but too much road noise at highway speeds would be a buzz-kill. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I get some whine from the electric motors on my ‘22 Select AWD. I like the noise.

schorzy21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Occupation
Health Care
Country flag
I have owned a Premium AWD and now own a GTNP. I just completed a 700 mile round trip and on the way home the GT developed a humming drone noise that is coming from the front right of the car. At first I attributed it to the pavement condition/material, but the sound persisted all the way home and is getting louder. This sound was not present in my Premium and I have already scheduled my dealer to look at it. I think that it could be a bad wheel bearing. I will report back on what they find.

On a side note I do miss how exceptionally quite my Premium was. My GT did not get laminated glass due to the glass shortage earlier this year and I can definitely tell. Wind noise is much louder and noticeable now. I expected road noise to increase due to wider tires, which it did, but the humming drone has to go.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
There is a section of bridge near me where the noise is deafening. This is due to the way the concrete was textured. Going the opposite way on the same stretch of bridge is totally different (quite tolerable), as is the rest of the bridge in the same direction. 😊🐩

I have owned a Premium AWD and now own a GTNP. I just completed a 700 mile round trip and on the way home the GT developed a humming drone noise that is coming from the front right of the car. At first I attributed it to the pavement condition/material, but the sound persisted all the way home and is getting louder. This sound was not present in my Premium and I have already scheduled my dealer to look at it. I think that it could be a bad wheel bearing. I will report back on what they find.
<SNIP>
There was a rash of bad front CV joints. A bad one is characterized by noise and clunking. 😱🐩
Sponsored