Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I decided to avoid spending a ton of time on planning each stop before leaving. I just took a look at the spacing of the charging stations before I left. Then I looked for my next charger while I was charging, mostly using PlugShare because that gives me the most up-to-date information about charger status.
I agree. Needing 4 route planners, several charger locating apps and a week to plan ahead kills a lot of fun. I'd scan for chargers located every 150 to 200 miles appart. Anything more than that I'd worry and pin point some city stops. But I didn't even road trip to Cali last week so who am I to say much lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I agree. Needing 4 route planners, several charger locating apps and a week to plan ahead kills a lot of fun. I'd scan for chargers located every 150 to 200 miles appart. Anything more than that I'd worry and pin point some city stops. But I didn't even road trip to Cali last week so who am I to say much lol.
If ABRP talked to my OBD2 device and tracked all of the information I wanted, and if I could trust its ability to stay up-to-date on charger availability, I'd use it and pay for it, but I was disappointed the last time I relied on it, so... I just check the status of chargers along my route with PlugShare and go.

I'm willing to push into the 220-250 mile range between chargers now, for certain trips, but that's such a long time in the car as it is, I do appreciate the higher density that's coming if only just so I can stop when I need to stop and walk around.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Regarding it being too short to sleep in, when we camp in the back we tilt the seats all the way forward and slide them all the way forward, and then we have inflatable void fillers that go behind the front seats that make the entire area flat and we have way more than enough room head to toe.
Yeah, I had a couple of extra pillows in the space, but did not lay out a perfect bed. I might get a different mattress for the next time. But it would definitely not fit me and my partner if we were traveling together. I also move around a lot while I sleep and the surprisingly low slope at the rear hatch interfered with my feet more than I had expected, so every time I turned I woke up because my feet kicked the glass or the back hatch plastic.
Sponsored