35​
83​
87​
Chiriaco SummitCP Chiriaco Restaurant
23​
33​
39​
45​
driving from hotel in La Quinta to/from/around Palm Springs(unplanned)(unplanned)
179​
79675 Hwy 111, La QuintaL2 Residence Inn
18​
100​
17​
100​
driving through Joshua Tree N.P.
133​
32​
61​
45​
80​
86​
QuartzsiteEA Love's
10​
80​
41​
80​
100​
BuckeyeEA Walmart
15​
47​
29​
39​
56​
HomeL2
15​
15​
Would you skip a couple of charge stops if you were to take this trip again?

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
For many people, yes. But I am farsighted. My distance vision is great. I'm just getting "old" (presbyopia) and having eyestrain with the close up stuff.

I suppose progressives for driving might do the trick if I could get used to them.
Takes a little while to get used to them. The sunglasses with prescriptive are great. I use them a lot when outside for reading stuff. No headaches!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was also having quite a bit of shoulder and neck pain. I can't seem to get seat and steering wheel in a comfortable position while still being able to see instrument cluster. I've been experimenting a lot here but just can't seem to find a good arrangement. I wish I could move the IC down an inch or two, and I wish the steering wheel could be extended out towards me further than its current limit. I ended up putting my hands palms down, at 5 and 7. This was pretty awkward for me, but it gave me some relief from the strains.
I had some of those same struggles at first too. Neck we getting a little sore. But then I changed the seat to sit more upright and that seemed to fix that one.

Finding a comfortable hand position is still of a bit of a struggle for me. I like to rest my arms in my lap and grab the wheel at the bottom when cruising. My Escape steering wheel is open at the very bottom (with spokes at 5 and 7 o'clock). That was perfect for holding it at the bottom with my right hand. But the MME has that goofy split spoke at 6 o'clock. It's just totally in the way for holding the wheel at the bottom. But, the 5 and 7 o'clock positions are open for a good grip. What I end up doing a lot is turning on ACC, pulling my feet back to the seat with knees up, and grabbing the wheel underhand (palms up) at 5 and 7. That's pretty comfortable, with arms resting on my legs.

I like to sit high for best visibility (and least direct sun), so I have the seat high and the wheel low. But I can't put it too low or I block too much of the IC screen. Wish the wheel were a little bigger around.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like your tracking log. I keep debating what data I want to collect and I wish there was a more automated way of doing that.

BTW, great photos too. I sometimes feel a little awkward when we have stopped at some scenic place. Everyone is taking photos of the scenery and I'm snapping photos of the car. LOL
I used the charge logs for mine after I returned home. I knew I wouldn't remember to write things down (or take pictures) every time. But between EA, CP, and FP, I was able to piece it all together (each one had some holes, but the others filled them in).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Charge log:

Miles Traveled
WaypointStation
Planned Arrive %
Planned Depart %
Actual Arrive %
Actual Depart %
0​
HomeL2
100​
100​
55​
BuckeyeEA Walmart
71​
80​
80​
82​
99​
QuartzsiteEA Love's
16​
78​
35​
83​
87​
23​
33​
39​
45​
driving from hotel in La Quinta to/from/around Palm Springs(unplanned)(unplanned)
179​
79675 Hwy 111, La QuintaL2 Residence Inn
18​
100​
17​
100​
driving through Joshua Tree N.P.
133​
32​
61​
45​
80​
86​
QuartzsiteEA Love's
10​
80​
41​
80​
100​
BuckeyeEA Walmart
15​
47​
29​
39​
56​
HomeL2
15​
15​
Did you set a trip meter for the whole trip? If so, what did you show for miles/kWh for the whole trip?

I added up the %'s for your departures at the start of each leg and arrivals at the end, and got 308%. For the ER battery (68 kWh), that's 209 kWh used. Your miles add up to 795. That works out to 3.8 miles/kWh. Even in the RWD in good weather, that sounds surprisingly good for mostly interstate speeds.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Did you set a trip meter for the whole trip? If so, what did you show for miles/kWh for the whole trip?

I added up the %'s for your departures at the start of each leg and arrivals at the end, and got 308%. For the ER battery (68 kWh), that's 209 kWh used. Your miles add up to 795. That works out to 3.8 miles/kWh. Even in the RWD in good weather, that sounds surprisingly good for mostly interstate speeds.
Here is the meter at the end of the trip. I don't trust it for its efficiency model, but the number of miles travelled should be right. So my numbers from the chart may be a bit off, as this says 709 miles.

I was driving at the speed limit most of the way, mostly 70 or 75 mph. Within Phoenix metro (about two hours of driving on this trip) I have to drive faster than the limit or I'd be a road hazard. Within the metro area the limit is 65 so I was going about 70.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip from Phoenix east valley to Joshua Tree PXL_20210508_043451723

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Would you skip a couple of charge stops if you were to take this trip again?
No. The only ones I'd consider skipping were Chiriaco on the way into La Quinta and Buckeye on the way home. Either way I'd have arrived with just a handful of miles left. But if I'd skipped them it would have messed up our spontaneous plans to go to other sightseeing stops or various restaurants for dinner (we stopped a few places before finding something agreeable and not crowded).

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
No. The only ones I'd consider skipping were Chiriaco on the way into La Quinta and Buckeye on the way home. Either way I'd have arrived with just a handful of miles left. But if I'd skipped them it would have messed up our spontaneous plans to go to other sightseeing stops or various restaurants for dinner (we stopped a few places before finding something agreeable and not crowded).
Buckeye on the way out seems like it could go. Certainly wouldn't be a stop for me as we live on opposite sides of town. ?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here is the meter at the end of the trip. I don't trust it for its efficiency model, but the number of miles travelled should be right. So my numbers from the chart may be a bit off, as this says 709 miles.

I was driving at the speed limit most of the way, mostly 70 or 75 mph. Within Phoenix metro (about two hours of driving on this trip) I have to drive faster than the limit or I'd be a road hazard. Within the metro area the limit is 65 so I was going about 70.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip from Phoenix east valley to Joshua Tree PXL_20210508_043451723
That fits better. 709 miles / 209 kWh = 3.4 MPK. That's more in line with what I'd expect in the RWD in good weather (although 3.1 seems even more likely). Probably somewhere in that range, anyway.

I did find mine worked out exactly the same (2.6) as what the trip meter showed. I feel pretty good about it for that, over many miles anyway. Short distance is prone to skewing though.

It's the "How's My Driving" stats that I find to be less accurate than a dartboard. Totally useless, so I just ignore it.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Buckeye on the way out seems like it could go. Certainly wouldn't be a stop for me as we live on opposite sides of town. ?
Yeah we're probably 45+ miles apart. You're absolutely right though... I forgot until now that the only reason I stopped in Buckeye on the way out was to see if DCFC works. It was the first time I charged outside my own garage. Buckeye was my safe turnaround point if nothing was working.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
For you efficiency wonks (hey @dbsb3233!!):

A shorter trip today... Picked up Mom, took her to Boyce Thompson Arboretum and then dropped her back off. Oh and I bought a small Desert Willow tree and planted that, too. ? :)

Charged to 100% before hand and when I returned home the vehicle is at 51% remaining.

According to Google Maps, the routes I chose total up to nearly 126 miles. 43.5 are suburban traffic, 82.3 are highway. That means approximately 35% city, 65% highway. AC was on all the time (mid-90's here, and mid-80's at the arboretum which at about 1,200' higher elevation).

Doing some math, that is 125.8 miles used for 49% of 68 kWh, or 3.8 miles per kilowatt hour. Not bad!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip from Phoenix east valley to Joshua Tree PXL_20210509_173501047.MP

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip from Phoenix east valley to Joshua Tree PXL_20210509_182738900

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Yeah we're probably 45+ miles apart. You're absolutely right though... I forgot until now that the only reason I stopped in Buckeye on the way out was to see if DCFC works. It was the first time I charged outside my own garage. Buckeye was my safe turnaround point if nothing was working.
I'm a couple miles north of the Cards stadium.
Sponsored