Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E First Edition, 2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
First road trip with MachE.
”Autopilot” excellent even with rain with some pretty sketchy lane markings. Really took some of the burden out of the trip.

Charging info -
There is a free charger at Alliant Energy headquarters near Madison. It’s on the Greenlots network but didn’t “just work” called the number on the screen operator said their free chargers are often sketchy and to just call the number on the screen if having trouble, and they can start remotely. True for any of their chargers she said 24/7, and if they can’t get you charged they will help you find another. I didn’t need to charge there, was just checking it out. It’s about 5 minutes off the interstate, in a office park, BUT hey free is free.
Charged in Tomah, WI at EA facility in Walmart lot as previously planned. Plug and Charge worked as advertised. Took a stroll, had soup and sandwich at diner and by the time I was back I was at 80%. Nice! There is also a DCFC by ZEF energy nearby, half off appetizers at nearby sports bar if using. I’ll try it out on the way back.
Trip time usually 5 hrs with one “pit stop” in an ICE vehicle, Trip time w MachE 5:45 with the two stops to charge. Could’ve cut out 5-10 minutes if I’d only charged once.

Navigation - Good estimate of time enroute w the one planned charge and depiction of range etc (Ford map did show that I don’t have the capability to drive in Lake Michigan, cute). I do wish it would overlay other chargers on the map display in case you want to make an unplanned stop. Also color coding of their chargers within the navigation display would be great. Such as green for level 2, yellow level3, red if known broken, gray for unknown, etc. Kind of a pain to use other apps such as ChargeHub while driving.

To me, no one app has solved the EV charger, navigation integration issue.

Overall very pleased. We love our RAV4 EV, but it just can’t do road trips. Not enough range (120 miles at best) and no DC fast charge.
Sponsored