JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
We are thinking of taking the MME to Fredericksburg VA from Huntsville AL end of July and I'm struggling to plan the trip. I've tried several apps but really I'm looking for a simple route with ev stations. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

Deleted member 3569

Unfortunately Ford's Nav user interface is not the best. I use Electrify America's program either on iPad or on my computer to locate 350 kw EA's chargers, then I use Google Maps to gauge the distance with respect to my range. I do all this the night before the road trip. If EA's chargers is not available at certain locality, I then use Plug & Share app which will map all chargers, ie. in addition to EA dcFast chargers, the ones from EVgo & ChargePoint. If you are within the 250 kWH "freebie" amount, then you are restricted to the EA's dcFast chargers. Anyway, it is a waste of time to charge in any other charger system unless you are in a bind. The EA dcFast chargers is the only way to go while you are engaged in long road trips. My road trip was from Northern NJ to AutoTrain station in Lorton, VA using the Plug & Charge (J5118 protocol) on EA's dcFast chargers in DE, MD and VA without any glitch whatsoever, mine is a RWD with only 68 kWH battery. Usually I start the day @ 100% SOC, then I deplete to about 40%. It took only 18 minutes to bring to 80% SOC in a 350 kw charger and about 30 minutes in a 150 kW charger. Do not charge beyond 80% it is a waste of time. Good luck !!! PS: It is hard to add as a way point between your final destination and EA charger in your route, like what is done in Tesla's nav.

Last edited by a moderator:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Three good options, in order from best to worst IMO:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

https://www.plugshare.com/

In vehicle navigation app

The first two web sites also have apps. I put the web site links because I usually start off from a desktop or laptop PC while in the planning phase for a trip.

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
A Better Route Planner is pretty great. The best feature is to create the route in the app on your phone and then share it with Google Maps (hit the share button and select Google Maps). Then you can use Car Play or Android Auto in the car with the created route that will include all your charging stops.

Be sure to save the route in ABRP first.

Deleted member 3569

PS(1): In addition pre-apply ahead of time from your house accounts for Electrify America (a must), EVgo, chargePoint & greenLots. Choose use as "you go" option so you are not stuck w/monthly membership fees. Attempt to log out/log in FROM YOUR HOUSE for each of the accounts you have just opened... there is nothing more frustrating than doing in the middle of an unfamiliar parking lot. EA & chargePoint will send you electronic cards so that you can dump in the "Wallet" of your iPhone, butEVgo will send you by mail a physical card.
PS(2): If you use the Ford's Plug&Charge (protocol J5118) feature, you will be able to tap into the initial 250 kWH freebie but you will not be getting the discounted rate as EA membership if you have enrolled in their monthly plan ....THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!

Deleted member 3569

Three good options, in order from best to worst IMO:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

https://www.plugshare.com/

In vehicle navigation app

The first two web sites also have apps. I put the web site links because I usually start off from a desktop or laptop PC while in the planning phase for a trip.
I couldn't agree more !!! Ford's Plug&Charge is absolutely useless once the 250 kWH freebie is depleted. EA's dcFast chargers is the only viable alternative during long trips, unless you are in a bind.... BUT if your use the Ford's Plug&Charge feature in any of the EA's dcFast charger network ...IT DOES NOT recognize the EA membership discounted rates !!!

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Excellent help, I also discovered route planning in the Ford Pass app, are the stations it routes me to EA? Lots of dumb questions but this is our first ev.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Excellent help, I also discovered route planning in the Ford Pass app, are the stations it routes me to EA? Lots of dumb questions but this is our first ev.
Some of them are but not all. You'll see a variety of station brands in FordPass, similar to what you see in PlugShare.

PlugShare is easier to use though, especially from a regular PC browser. I like that it lets you read details about a charger location, including comments and check-ins from recent guests.

Remember to filter to your make and model of vehicle, or turn off the plug types that aren't compatible.

For a road trip, you want CCS for pit stops and J1772 for overnights. Or if your heading someplace with less options, then NEMA 14-50 also works for overnights (if you bring your mobile charger).

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Some of them are but not all. You'll see a variety of station brands in FordPass, similar to what you see in PlugShare.

PlugShare is easier to use though, especially from a regular PC browser. I like that it lets you read details about a charger location, including comments and check-ins from recent guests.

Remember to filter to your make and model of vehicle, or turn off the plug types that aren't compatible.

For a road trip, you want CCS for pit stops and J1772 for overnights. Or if your heading someplace with less options, then NEMA 14-50 also works for overnights (if you bring your mobile charger).
I am a new member of the checking in ;) and planning on a 30" monitor I find the easiest. Just sync it with your phone and car once you have it done. Found it a bit hard deleting trips in the web interface.

It is good to have an idea of your highway range and comfort level prior to planning. Filter the slow chargers out and read some reviews (check ins) for thumbs up or thumbs down could save some frustration. Been perfect tripping for me so far.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Made some progress on my trip plan, using EA stations looks doable. Looking at maybe a half stop Bristol TN so not trying 700 miles in one day.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Made some progress on my trip plan, using EA stations looks doable. Looking at maybe a half stop Bristol TN so not trying 700 miles in one day.
Enjoy for me planning is some of the fun. Don't forget to read a a few Plugshare reviews of the ones you choose. Maybe look for a slower (240V) destination charge where you plan on staying overnight so you can start at 100% in the morning.

05reinvent

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately Ford's Nav user interface is not the best. I use Electrify America's program either on iPad or on my computer to locate 350 kw EA's chargers, then I use Google Maps to gauge the distance with respect to my range. I do all this the night before the road trip. If EA's chargers is not available at certain locality, I then use Plug & Share app which will map all chargers, ie. in addition to EA dcFast chargers, the ones from EVgo & ChargePoint. If you are within the 250 kWH "freebie" amount, then you are restricted to the EA's dcFast chargers. Anyway, it is a waste of time to charge in any other charger system unless you are in a bind. The EA dcFast chargers is the only way to go while you are engaged in long road trips. My road trip was from Northern NJ to AutoTrain station in Lorton, VA using the Plug & Charge (J5118 protocol) on EA's dcFast chargers in DE, MD and VA without any glitch whatsoever, mine is a RWD with only 68 kWH battery. Usually I start the day @ 100% SOC, then I deplete to about 40%. It took only 18 minutes to bring to 80% SOC in a 350 kw charger and about 30 minutes in a 150 kW charger. Do not charge beyond 80% it is a waste of time. Good luck !!! PS: It is hard to add as a way point between your final destination and EA charger in your route, like what is done in Tesla's nav.
Very hard to follow your post when you use abbreviations like SOC, RWD. PLS spell it out.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Very hard to follow your post when you use abbreviations like SOC, RWD. PLS spell it out.
EA = Electrify America
RWD = rear wheel drive
SOC = state of charge; how full the battery is in terms of 0% to 100%
kw = kilowatts; peak measure of how much energy can flow at a given instant of time. similar in concept to "speed" of charging
kwh = kilowatt hours; measure of total energy. similar in concept to "distance", as it is time * kilowatts (aka charge speed)
NJ = a place to be avoided :D

Deleted member 3569

Sorry: State of Charge is SOC, of the propulsion battery, this is used throughout in any EV (electric vehicle) blog that I have followed; RWD is rear wheel drive, this is nomenclature used in the Ford brochure for Mach-e, i.e. RWD or AWD (all wheel drive) versions of 68kWH or 88 kWH (kilowatt hours) propulsion size batteries.... The RWD/AWD is also used in the ICE (internal combustible engine) vehicles' brochures.
PS: dcFast charger is commonly referred as next higher level of charging above L2 (Level 2 is 240v with NEMA 14-50 plug). By definition there is no Level 3, but dcFast charger is commonly used to refer to 50/150/350 kWH rate EVSEs (Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment). Tesla's equivalant terminology is Supercharger with their proprietary plug.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JRT