Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I made a video with short demos of SYNC, FordPass and A Better Route Planner to assist in EV road trip planning:

Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Excellent video. Watched it this morning. Thanks

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
Am I the only one who watched this video like "Damn that Nav system is way smoother/faster than mine"?
I swear mine feels significantly slower when planning routes and adding chargers

DRob1260

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, infinite blue
Country flag
Thereā€™s one thing I havenā€˜t been able to find in route planning apps - ability to specify target charge level for each charge. My preference would be to always charge up to 80% at each stop because: 1) Iā€™d rather have less stops, even if the overall trip time is the same or slightly more. 2) I just feel more comfortable charging up to the highest feasible level. Last weekend on a trip, all the route planning apps I tried were recommending at least 3 charging stops but I was able to easily do it in 2 by waiting a little longer and charging up to 80%.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Thanks for this! Just tried the route planner in the FordPass app and it's funny how it tells you to charge at the fast chargers only long enough to end up with like 14% at your final destination. I would have to stay a bit longer sometimes so I have at least a little bit of a charge when I arrive at some of these more remote places!

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Thereā€™s one thing I havenā€˜t been able to find in route planning apps - ability to specify target charge level for each charge. My preference would be to always charge up to 80% at each stop because: 1) Iā€™d rather have less stops, even if the overall trip time is the same or slightly more. 2) I just feel more comfortable charging up to the highest feasible level. Last weekend on a trip, all the route planning apps I tried were recommending at least 3 charging stops but I was able to easily do it in 2 by waiting a little longer and charging up to 80%.
ABRP just added an additional option so you can pick fewer stops. I just tried it a little bit and it will reduce the stops and increases the recommended charge levels to the high 70s%. I'll probably start using that since I generally like to go close to 80% in my stops as well.

DRob1260

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, infinite blue
Country flag
ABRP just added an additional option so you can pick fewer stops. I just tried it a little bit and it will reduce the stops and increases the recommended charge levels to the high 70s%. I'll probably start using that since I generally like to go close to 80% in my stops as well.
I tried that but itā€™s still suggesting I stop 3 times and charge to 61%, 69%, and 45% ?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I tried that but itā€™s still suggesting I stop 3 times and charge to 61%, 69%, and 45% ?
Exactly this. Was trying to plan a trip from TN to MD and the trip to Baltimore had 2 stops but the return trip was suggesting 3 on both Ford Nav and ABRP. The 3 stops were all short times. I couldn't get ABRP to adjust the length of each stop. I thought maybe it was due to elevation on the return trip going up hill as opposed to going downhill but it still didn't make sense to me. OH well, I loaded the trip using FordsNav and will jut adjust our stop times on the fly and see if we actually need the third stop.

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
ABRP does not show up on my android auto. Is there anything I need to do, I just got approved to be a beta tester? Great video BTW

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I tried that but itā€™s still suggesting I stop 3 times and charge to 61%, 69%, and 45%
Assuming you're using the default setting of 10% buffer (so each charge start at 10%). Based on 61 69 45, that's 145% of charge total. The maximum you can possibly get in two charges is 140% (unless you go above 80%).

5% isn't much. Based on my experience, ABRP's estimate of Mach E consumption is extremely conservative. So it is likely two charge (assume well positioned chargers) is enough for your route.

ABRP has a default battery degradation parameter set to 5%, I changed it to 0%. So that's where I recommend you start. I did that and still found ABRP a bit conservative, but less so.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The Ford Pass trip planner completely ignores the fastest, shortest and eco functions and always gives me the same route Phoenix to Vegas and is likely 100 miles too long. It also ignores an EA charger in Kingman Arizona everytime I try it.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
Not as convenient as setting a default, but you can go to each stop in an ABRP route and set it to charge to 80%. Do them in order and one at a time, tapping/clicking the route calculation button after each change. I have used the feature several times.
Sponsored