HBSofDE

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
TL;DR - Lovely 313 mile drive each way to / from Outer Banks NC. Wanted to stay away from interstate (through Baltimore, DC and Richmond), which meant a rural drive, not a lot of charging options and so, thorough planning required. A lot of state / rural highways, more than a few traffic signals, plenty of police. Car was perfect the whole way. Many thanks to PlugShare, identifying that all ChargePoint chargers on this route were broken and offline.

Trunk and frunk full. Wife & co-pilot next to me, poodle in the rear seat. Left northern DE at 100% charge. Temp a brisk 35 F. Being as this was our first road trip, the outside temperature was low, range was slightly diminished and chargers were > 100 miles away in spots, we were very conservative with assuring adequate charge. No e-heat was used, only heated seats and steering wheel.

Drove to Salisbury (MD) University, 117 miles at 3.4 miles / kWh. Arrived at 60% SOC, topped off for 30 minutes at 50 kWh to 80%. One of the two higher speed chargers was broken.

Next stop was 137 miles away, Greenbriar Mall, Norfolk. Drove that segment at 3.5 miles/ kWh. One of the spots was ICED. Driver could not be bothered to park a few spaces further away and took a slot clearly marked as EV Only. Used the other 50 kWh charger for 45 minutes, starting at 31%, leaving at 68%.

Arrived hotel in Kitty Hawk, 65 miles at 3.3 miles / kWh. Total for the day, 93.6 kWh used to drive 320 miles. (Not sure how the total average is slightly higher than any of the three legs…).

Hotel has a level 2 charger, ChargePoint network. Unclear why this was working, but it helped add a bit of juice every evening. This Hilton, in Kitty Hawk, is doing construction on the side of the building, so charger is surrounded by forklift, pallets, trash dumpster and storage trailers.

Drove around for a few days, down to Cape Hatteras, Wright Memorial, etc. Not a lot going on in Outer Banks during November! Supposedly, area gets 5 million visitors every year, maybe 5 were there during our stay. Everything was closed, restaurants, attractions, etc.

Heading home, temp a bit nicer near 50 F. Left hotel with 47% charge, enough to make it to Norfolk at a rate of 4 miles / kWh. There, at the Wawa on Industrial Blvd is a true high speed EVGo charger, my first!

System is rated at 200 kw. Actually top rate near 80, slowed way down once I got to 80% charge. Put in a total of 53 kWh. One Mach-e in the other bay, a local 2021. In line was a 2022 Mach-e, one month old, heading to Charlotte. The nicest people, maybe waiting for chargers is the equivalent of a picket fence, visiting with a new friend while the cars juice up.

Back to Salisbury at a rate of 3.6 miles / kWh. Added 14 KWh, enough to get home with room to spare. The sun was setting and temps had dropped back to the high 30’s. Efficiency dropped to 3.3 miles / kWh for this last leg. Total for the day, 313 miles, 87.8 kWh used. There is no change in elevation, so ten / fifteen degrees of external temperature translated into a more efficient drive back.

Pulled into the garage with a 50 mile buffer. Plugged in and will be ready to go back to local commuting in the morning.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip report: 600+ Mile Outer Banks trip 87FD8DF0-CD5E-4084-96AE-D27555835749

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip report: 600+ Mile Outer Banks trip EE8389BF-FBA6-433F-9F9A-9F70CF712CC3

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip report: 600+ Mile Outer Banks trip 119C0810-AB36-45D1-BE4B-68F7BCA04C1E

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip report: 600+ Mile Outer Banks trip A1244330-8F4F-42FB-B774-799E8F617EAF

Last edited:

MetrowestZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California AWD
Country flag
I recognize that charger! Really looking forward to hopefully more charging options in that part of DMV in the future.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
We go down to the Outer Banks 4-5 times a year. We were just there a couple weeks ago, and if you are a runner the Outer Banks Marathon was going on. I did the half marathon. Very nice course.

Many of the best restaurants are open year round and in the off season you can actually get in without waiting 2 hours. I can provide recommendations if you are going to be going back.

I live in Williamsburg so I can make it on one charge easily. I installed a 14/50 outlet at our place but before I did that it was tough keeping a good charge in the car. The Nags Head Outlet has free L2 chargers and a couple restaurants have destination chargers, but other than that it is a charging desert. There is a Tesla Supercharger station but that doesn't help us.

Glad you had a nice trip!

NiceandSimpleMache

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future 2023 Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
I recognize that charger! Really looking forward to hopefully more charging options in that part of DMV in the future.
Well it's a lot of chargering station in the VA and DC area. It's bad in the Maryland area

vinnyz

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang mach e GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
TL;DR - Lovely 313 mile drive each way to / from Outer Banks NC. Wanted to stay away from interstate (through Baltimore, DC and Richmond), which meant a rural drive, not a lot of charging options and so, thorough planning required. A lot of state / rural highways, more than a few traffic signals, plenty of police. Car was perfect the whole way. Many thanks to PlugShare, identifying that all ChargePoint chargers on this route were broken and offline.

Trunk and frunk full. Wife & co-pilot next to me, poodle in the rear seat. Left northern DE at 100% charge. Temp a brisk 35 F. Being as this was our first road trip, the outside temperature was low, range was slightly diminished and chargers were > 100 miles away in spots, we were very conservative with assuring adequate charge. No e-heat was used, only heated seats and steering wheel.

Drove to Salisbury (MD) University, 117 miles at 3.4 miles / kWh. Arrived at 60% SOC, topped off for 30 minutes at 50 kWh to 80%. One of the two higher speed chargers was broken.

Next stop was 137 miles away, Greenbriar Mall, Norfolk. Drove that segment at 3.5 miles/ kWh. One of the spots was ICED. Driver could not be bothered to park a few spaces further away and took a slot clearly marked as EV Only. Used the other 50 kWh charger for 45 minutes, starting at 31%, leaving at 68%.

Arrived hotel in Kitty Hawk, 65 miles at 3.3 miles / kWh. Total for the day, 93.6 kWh used to drive 320 miles. (Not sure how the total average is slightly higher than any of the three legs…).

Hotel has a level 2 charger, ChargePoint network. Unclear why this was working, but it helped add a bit of juice every evening. This Hilton, in Kitty Hawk, is doing construction on the side of the building, so charger is surrounded by forklift, pallets, trash dumpster and storage trailers.

Drove around for a few days, down to Cape Hatteras, Wright Memorial, etc. Not a lot going on in Outer Banks during November! Supposedly, area gets 5 million visitors every year, maybe 5 were there during our stay. Everything was closed, restaurants, attractions, etc.

Heading home, temp a bit nicer near 50 F. Left hotel with 47% charge, enough to make it to Norfolk at a rate of 4 miles / kWh. There, at the Wawa on Industrial Blvd is a true high speed EVGo charger, my first!

System is rated at 200 kw. Actually top rate near 80, slowed way down once I got to 80% charge. Put in a total of 53 kWh. One Mach-e in the other bay, a local 2021. In line was a 2022 Mach-e, one month old, heading to Charlotte. The nicest people, maybe waiting for chargers is the equivalent of a picket fence, visiting with a new friend while the cars juice up.

Back to Salisbury at a rate of 3.6 miles / kWh. Added 14 KWh, enough to get home with room to spare. The sun was setting and temps had dropped back to the high 30’s. Efficiency dropped to 3.3 miles / kWh for this last leg. Total for the day, 313 miles, 87.8 kWh used. There is no change in elevation, so ten / fifteen degrees of external temperature translated into a more efficient drive back.

Pulled into the garage with a 50 mile buffer. Plugged in and will be ready to go back to local commuting in the morning.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip report: 600+ Mile Outer Banks trip A1244330-8F4F-42FB-B774-799E8F617EAF

sounds great, did you use the trip planner or another type

OP
OP
HBSofDE

HBSofDE

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
sounds great, did you use the trip planner or another type
Used ALL the trip planners. Started with ABRP, then noticed some of the details (dead ChargePoint sites), so checked and double checked both with other planners, such as PlugShare and ChargeHub, but also used the charger specific apps, such as EVGo and Shell. (The latter handling the payment interface at the Delmarva Electric charger at Salisbury Univ. ) Like I said, with a long and unknown rural route, thorough planning required.
Sponsored

Reactions: RLW