Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Premium RWD
Occupation
I sell stuff
Country flag
This trip is not for faint of heart. Here are a few observations and suggestions:

1. I am not sure out of Electrify America and Ford who has worse software developers. Also, EA issues are prevalent and common across West Texas with about 33% of stations operational. The EA experience is lacking and if I knew what EA was like it might have made me think twice about a Tesla.

2. The distances between EA or other DC charging stations was near my max range on an 80% change. I pulled in a couple of times with a sub 5% charge level which is not good for my mental health.

3. Take your charge cord! I found in remote areas RV parks are still plentiful and all the ”good guys” are listed in PlugShare. I only had to fall back on an RV park once and it cost me two hours time but was the best option at hand. Funny enough the tailwind on the way back allowed me make it the second time around.

4. Going to 80% at each charge is advisable as the situations in 1-3 might have you looking for other options.

5. Denver has SOOOOO many EA stations anew a very healthy portion are operational. That said they also have a huge number of Lyft drivers who took some deal to lease a car with free charging and this can cause lines to form For DC Fast Charging. Never had to wait here in Texas and waiting is super painful given the charge times required.

6. I was forced to stay the night in Lubbock each direction as there is no DC Fast Charing infrastructure within 100 miles. This forced me to AC charge at a hotel which luckily was available and operational.

Overall this trip was less than ideal and could nearly be a poster child for why you might wait to purchase an EV. As an early adopter I know that there will be pain along the way and actually enjoy overcoming the challenges. Just because this trip is in the realm of the possible does not make it advisable. Note that I do not have the extended range battery and if I did I suspect I would feel a lot better about this trip but still not carefree.
Sponsored

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I bought my Mach-E to be an in-town vehicle, but that is disappointing that so many stations were out of order. I've lobbied our Texas grocery store to start putting in stations other than Superchargers.