Road trip to VT. Should I even bother?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4669
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 4669

So I am a new Mach-e owner. We are headed from CT to northern VT next week. The plan was to take the Mach-e as my daughter was going to borrow my wife’s Jeep to go to work while we were gone. But looking at the chargers available I am wondering if it wil, be too much trouble. EA does not exist in VT. There are only 1-2 fast chargers on the entire route there and I am worried what will happen if they are in use as both only have a single charger. We are also doing a couple legs, spending the first couple days in East Burke Then heading to Burlington. Doesn’t look like much between the two either. I could plug in once in Burlington and charge as long as needed but VT seems pretty barren. The alternative is to trust one of the kids with the Mach-e lol. Not sure I want to do that.
Sponsored

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I don't see why not..wich city..use a better routeplanner. What model MME?

There are several 50kW charters and others at ABRP, take a lunchbreak there?

OP
OP

Deleted member 4669

I have standard range AWD. SO 100% has been showing only 180 or so range. The trip is about 230 miles. The issue is there is really only one fast charger in southern VT and maybe another one a bit closer to East Burke. Not much else around. Also none of them are EA chargers and I thought there were some issues with other companies fast chargers, maybe I am wrong on this.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Connecticut to Northern Vermont isn’t much above EPA range for an AWD ER. Even a small top up here and there at one of the many EVGo 50kw chargers will have you with more than enough power. If you can charge overnight wherever you’re staying, then this should be very easy.
You’re right that EA doesn’t exist but there is ChargePoint and EVGo in plenty of places. Looks like Vermont is suffering early adoption a bit. They built the infrastructure for cars with smaller batteries and slower charging and now it isn’t up to par.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I have standard range AWD. SO 100% has been showing only 180 or so range. The trip is about 230 miles. The issue is there is really only one fast charger in southern VT and maybe another one a bit closer to East Burke. Not much else around. Also none of them are EA chargers and I thought there were some issues with other companies fast chargers, maybe I am wrong on this.
Just saw that you have the lowest range version of the MME. That may change things but you do have lots of 50kw charging options. EVGo has worked just fine for me.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
VT seems pretty barren.
Yup, welcome to VT. Your only real option for DCFC is the 50kW EVgo stations, which are at most Hannaford grocery stores. You don't really need to worry about them being occupied as I've never seen a car actually use them since it's not cheap and not much of a travel corridor. There are a few at a gas station in Saint Albans also, but it sounds like you're not going that far north or west. The state's first EA station is planned for the Shaw's parking lot in Colchester, but that won't help you right now.

There are Level 2 ChargePoint and Flo stations spread out all across Burlington, but the only Level 3 charger in the city only has Chademo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4669

Just saw that you have the lowest range version of the MME. That may change things but you do have lots of 50kw charging options. EVGo has worked just fine for me.
I dont see lots of 50kw options at all. I see 1 25 mins from East Burke, another 1 50 mins away and then a third in the bottom of the state about 2 hours away. There are no chargers in the town we are staying at of any kind. I guess having not done a road trip like this before and only seeing 3 possible chargers on our route I worry that many other people might be in the same boat and I could be stuck waiting in a line at one of these few chargers and an hour stop turns into 3-4 hours. It’s already a 4 hours trip so I dont want to lose the entire day due to charging delays. There are some low level 2 chargers but that would not help much.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I am wondering if it wil, be too much trouble...
Life is too short to waste on charging an electric car. I would rent a regular gas car for the trip, and get on with my life.

dw0095

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Life is too short to waste on charging an electric car. I would rent a regular gas car for the trip, and get on with my life.
That was my logic for going with standard range battery saving of $5,000.
Can rent quite a few cars when I need to leave my usual stomping grounds.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Use PlugShare. Set the filter to show chargers that offer 50k+ charging rate. There are several.

Keep in mind that even if EA stations were everywhere ... the car will only charge at rates above 100k for so long before it slows your charge rate down anyway.

A Standard Range battery pack has 68 kW of usable capacity. If you charge from 10% back up to 80% at a stop (because above 80% it will drop to Level 2 charging speeds) then that's about 48 kW. So a 50kW charger would have you finished charging in about an hour. Find a charger near a restaurant and use it as a meal stop.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip to VT. Should I even bother? C8F945B4-FDF7-456D-B3D8-F4A4F7D03D00

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I will be going on vacation in a few weeks. Not wanting to pay DCFC I will be staying in a hotel with a Tesla destination charger. Going to give my Tesla tap a workout.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I have an AWD SR. I just tried a Petro-Can 350kw charger last week. From 60 to 80 peak rate I got was 80kw. Most of the time between 50 and 60. So essentially 1kwh per minute. You really won't loose much going with a 50kw charger.