John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Just got back Sunday from my 3rd road trip from Ohio to VA, and EVERY stop to charge at EA but one I saw one or more ID4's charging. In most cases several. The issue is when I talk to any of them, they all seem to be local, and using the free juice that they get for 3 years at EA. Many of them sit there and charge all the way up to 100%.

As the Ionic 5 comes online, with 2 years of free charging, I see a problem looming for those of us road tripping. More and more ID4's with free charging are going to be taking up stalls at EA chargers just to charge up for the week, and those of us traveling are going to be stuck waiting for an open charger when traveling.

I don't know that EA or VW, or Hyundai thought about this, or care.

This is just one more thing to add to the need for more infrastructure problem. I don't think there is an easy solution to this because of how these automakers are marketing their cars, but I see a problem coming.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think it's a non-issue. You were charging during a holiday week.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The latter I should think. If it helps them sell 10% more cars that is all that matters

This is just one more thing to add to the need for more infrastructure problem. I don't think there is an easy solution to this because of how these automakers are marketing their cars, but I see a problem coming.
Yup.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I think it's a non-issue. You were charging during a holiday week.
I disagree.

If these were travelers in their ID4's . . . maybe. But EVERY one of them seemed to be locals just there for their regular free charge. Hell, I bet some of them don't even have a L2 charger at home - why bother?. Their charging had little to do with the holiday. Now, the Bolts, Polestars, Taycan, and Leafs that I saw . . . yes. And the free charging also had a bit to do with those.

It was more prevalent in the more urban areas - like around Richmond and DC.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag

Well, they're going to piss off a lot of their own customers if promises of free charging are met in reality with an underserved charging infrastructure so I'm sure it's been considered.

I can't fathom trying to own a BEV without having an L2 charger at home, or if one was available at my office.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation