Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No, from seeing it in person and confirming in a webinar Q&A, the glass is not electrochromic. It is low-e tinted.
From the FORD Jason file for my VIN: "description": "Panoramic Fixed-Glass Roof with Infrared Reflective (IRR) Windshield"

Anyone know anything about IRR glass?
Sponsored

Sub4Seconds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Dual Motor
Country flag
Sounds like Tesla needs to incorporate better coatings into their glass.
Tesla need work on quality; I 100% agree. But, it is not the coating. The glass gets hot and without insulation is heats the air surrounding glass. The Mach-E will have this issue, too.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Tesla need work on quality; I 100% agree. But, it is not the coating. The glass gets hot and without insulation is heats the air surrounding glass. The Mach-E will have this issue, too.
We’ll see. It depends on the type of low-e coatings used. They can be absorbent or reflective. The former heats the glass, the latter doesn’t.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
We’ll see. It depends on the type of low-e coatings used. They can be absorbent or reflective. The former heats the glass, the latter doesn’t.
I wrote this in another thread and I think it is important to keep in mind the differences in heat transfer.

I think at some point hot AF is hot AF. If the car is left outside all day in a hot area it's going to get hot inside regardless of any sort of insulation, etc. I think the tint etc slows the warmup, not prevents it.
I tinted my C-Max's skyscraper sized windshield because I could tell a difference while driving into the sun. I don't think it helps a lot being parked outside for 9 hours w/o any sort of covering. I could be wrong I have a thermometer now I could test it with but I'm not going to peel the tint off to compare.
From what I've read though, these IR coated glasses have way less conductive heat than a metal roof. Of course metal doesn't really have radiant heat like glass, but good tints and coatings can reduce it. 3m's crystalline tint has a 97% infrared rejection.

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
Posted this on another thread but from Phil long ford.

Glass Roof
The benefits of this available Panoramic Fixed Glass roof go beyond its expansive view. Special coating is designed to help the interior stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter with a Low-E on the roof and Infra-red Reflective coating on the windshield.
I am assuming the Low-E and Infra-red coatings are on the interior surface of the glass. At least that is how home windows are done. Does anyone know if there is an exterior coating on either the windshield or roof glass?

Planning to rain-x the windshield and thought about doing the roof as well.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
Three cars sitting out in the sun in front of my house and the Mach E with glass roof, Infinite Blue and space gray interior feels the coolest (temperature wise). Light beige Dodge Caravan and light blue Chevy Bolt, both with light colored interiors, feel hotter.

I was looking for a real time air temperature app for my IPhone to make this scientific, but can only find apps that tell me weather reported outside temperature or my own body temperature. Used the body temp app while sitting out in the cars and it still reads 97.2, so at least I know if can accurately read my body temperature.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I wrote this in another thread and I think it is important to keep in mind the differences in heat transfer.

I think at some point hot AF is hot AF. If the car is left outside all day in a hot area it's going to get hot inside regardless of any sort of insulation, etc. I think the tint etc slows the warmup, not prevents it.
I tinted my C-Max's skyscraper sized windshield because I could tell a difference while driving into the sun. I don't think it helps a lot being parked outside for 9 hours w/o any sort of covering. I could be wrong I have a thermometer now I could test it with but I'm not going to peel the tint off to compare.
From what I've read though, these IR coated glasses have way less conductive heat than a metal roof. Of course metal doesn't really have radiant heat like glass, but good tints and coatings can reduce it. 3m's crystalline tint has a 97% infrared rejection.
https://www.orlandoflyingwindowtinting.com/common-misconceptions-about-window-tint-specifications/
Its a little more involved then just IR rejection. TSER ( Total Solar Energy Rejected)

Last edited: