Roof glass and A/C

Mchaelme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I viewed the Mach e here in the uk the guys with the car said it will have an electrically light controlled adjustable glass roof, wonder of its been dropped due to cost or reliability issues ?
Sponsored

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
When I viewed the Mach e here in the uk the guys with the car said it will have an electrically light controlled adjustable glass roof, wonder of its been dropped due to cost or reliability issues ?
Interesting statement. I have never heard that before. It certainly wasn't mentioned at the presentation that I attended. The only thing that was said was that it was coated with a special coating to prevent uv rays getting through so as to keep the car cooler in the summer and warmer in winter

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've heard that same report in the UK from another member (wonkey_donkey), but i think the marketing guy saying that was misinformed. Other than at that UK event, there has never been mention of it.

Sub4Seconds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Dual Motor
Country flag
I have a Model 3 with a glass roof and have installed shade on the front and back glass. I does slightly reduce heat from IR/light. But, this does not do much for comfort. The glass itself gets very hot and is not insulated like a normal roof with a head liner or moon roof cover. With the a/c on full blast, I can put my hand or my bald head near the roof and feel the heat radiating off of it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I have a Model 3 with a glass roof and have installed shade on the front and back glass. I does slightly reduce heat from IR/light. But, this does not do much for comfort. The glass itself gets very hot and is not insulated like a normal roof with a head liner or moon roof cover. With the a/c on full blast, I can put my hand or my bald head near the roof and feel the heat radiating off of it.
Sounds like Tesla needs to incorporate better coatings into their glass.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
The Polestar 2 is evidently coming with electrochromic "smart" glass in its panoramic roof, which can be dimmed to translucent or even opaque; this type of glass is used in the new Boeing Dreamliners for their passenger seats, where you push one of several buttons to have the window go from completely transparent to completely opaque. All automakers should be using electrochromic glass in roof glass.
Toyota has that type of glass too.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I can answer this question!

When I was speaking to the Ford guys in London they explained that it had an electrochroamatic layer built in to the glass - so when it's sunny it will automatically darken to prevent overheating and glare. (Just like some rear view mirrors have to stop the car behind dazzling you at night)

So technically no shade or cover should be required.
I do not think it "darkens" or lightens in any way

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I merely reported what I was told way back in the early days by Ford representatives... and would agree with what we know now, it is unlikely that this made it to the final design.

OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I merely reported what I was told way back in the early days by Ford representatives... and would agree with what we know now, it is unlikely that this made it to the final design.
It doesn’t. It is a high quality low-e coating however.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
It doesn’t. It is a high quality low-e coating however.
Totally agree.

In my defence I noticed from this thread that there were a couple of others that were told the same thing at the London event - but we should bear in mind that was waaaaay back in February when we were very light on detail.

I do love it when zombie threads just pop up to bite you in the arse 10 months later ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No, from seeing it in person and confirming in a webinar Q&A, the glass is not electrochromic. It is low-e tinted.
Sponsored