Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
The newer window tinting uses "Ceramic" film which blocks 99% of all UV and about 93% of heat. We had the tint applied to my wife's Leaf plus and you would be surprised at the difference it makes. I am sure Ford will be using something like this. Heck, the 2016 Murano we had also had a glass roof and very little heat came from it.
Sponsored

Reactions: Nak
OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
The newer window tinting uses "Ceramic" film which blocks 99% of all UV and about 93% of heat. We had the tint applied to my wife's Leaf plus and you would be surprised at the difference it makes. I am sure Ford will be using something like this. Heck, the 2016 Murano we had also had a glass roof and very little heat came from it.
that would be good. I do love the idea of a big glass roof i must say.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Yeah, I put that on the skyscraper-sized windshield on my C-Max, makes a huge difference.

Reactions: Nak

Res Nullius

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf, X3
Country flag
They sell covers that you can stick up in the roof. I am on the fence over the glass roof there are a few model 3 in our company car park and for the owners with the glass roofs we leave the parking spots under the trees free for them as in the 100+ degree weather they get very toasty inside if not parked under significant shade for the day.
Tesla includes a mesh cover for the Model X's extended windshield/roof. Maybe Ford will include such a thing too and if not, the aftermarket will take care of it.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Tesla includes a mesh cover for the Model X's extended windshield/roof. Maybe Ford will include such a thing too and if not, the aftermarket will take care of it.
I think one of the Ford interviews already indicated that Ford won’t offer one. But I agree this will quickly be available from aftermarket suppliers.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I can answer this question!

When I was speaking to the Ford guys in London they explained that it had an electrochroamatic layer built in to the glass - so when it's sunny it will automatically darken to prevent overheating and glare. (Just like some rear view mirrors have to stop the car behind dazzling you at night)

So technically no shade or cover should be required.

SuperOcean

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus
Country flag

When I was speaking to the Ford guys in London they explained that it had an electrochroamatic layer built in to the glass - so when it's sunny it will automatically darken to prevent overheating and glare. (Just like some rear view mirrors have to stop the car behind dazzling you at night)

Might be a stupid question but does the dimming glass come standard? It's been a while but I think in the F150 the auto dimming mirrors were optional on the XL and XLT trim but standard on the Lariat and above.

OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Might be a stupid question but does the dimming glass come standard? It's been a while but I think in the F150 the auto dimming mirrors were optional on the XL and XLT trim but standard on the Lariat and above.
I somehow think the glass is not dimming, but rather, a coated glass product that helps deflect away solar heat gain. The dimming mirrors is just an electronic version of the old lever on the old mirrors, which just caused an internal mirror to shift position.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I somehow think the glass is not dimming, but rather, a coated glass product that helps deflect away solar heat gain. The dimming mirrors is just an electronic version of the old lever on the old mirrors, which just caused an internal mirror to shift position.
The very nature of electrochroamatic glass means that it can be adjusted - it's not a flip tilt like in the old style rear view mirrors of old.

My current Toyota is fitted with this style of glass - here's how it works:
How auto dimming mirrors work - YouTube

So right now I'm inclined to believe what the Mach-E product expert told me over an assumption that's being made based on no facts either way.

This is how it works on larger scale windows:
EC Glass for solar protection

I'll have more 1:1 time with the car again on 9th March - so will add it to the list of things to check over and document for you.

Last edited:

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag

That is good news if it's standard. Kind of like photogray eyeglasses that darken when exposed to UV, but those are passive.

https://www.sageglass.com/en/article/what-electrochromic-glass

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
Apparently the Mach-E is coming with electrochromic glass that "automatically dims with increasing exterior light" -- according to the new, extended Q&A post here. My question is: can the driver control that dimming (like you can at a passenger window of a Dreamliner jet) or not? I'll be very interested to see this glass roof in the Mach-E.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would assume that all glass roofs have the automatic dimming built-in (or whatever the method of sun protection they use). But not all models have the glass roof standard.

Every reference I've seen to the glass roof stresses that it has special sun protection built in.

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 BMW X1, '15 BMW 328d, '18 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That would be sweet if the roof is really a driver adjustable electrochromic glass. Just because it's bright out doesn't mean you want it dimmed - especially in the winter when the sun can help warm the cabin.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I really doubt you'll see a user adjustable electrochromic glass roof at this price point. Be happy if you just get an electrochromic roof, period. That in itself would surprise me, especially since Ford doesn't show anything about such a roof in their advertising.
Sponsored