TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I really doubt you'll see a user adjustable electrochromic glass roof at this price point. Be happy if you just get an electrochromic roof, period. That in itself would surprise me, especially since Ford doesn't show anything about such a roof in their advertising.
They've said repeatedly that it is a special shaded roof glass that will help cool the vehicle in hot weather and help retain heat in cold weather. But yeah, this is the first time I've seen it specifically stated that the method used is electrochromatic. Makes sense though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I have said before here I don’t think it will be electrochromatic. It is going to be a very high quality low e coating like are used in windows on buildings. They don’t change density but they are like a transparent insulating layer.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
They've said repeatedly that it is a special shaded roof glass that will help cool the vehicle in hot weather and help retain heat in cold weather. But yeah, this is the first time I've seen it specifically stated that the method used is electrochromatic. Makes sense though.
Tesla says the same and to the best of my knowledge it's not electrochromic. I've never seen the shading on mine change in darkness and I have the panoramic roof.

OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Posted this on another thread but from Phil long ford.

Glass Roof
The benefits of this available Panoramic Fixed Glass roof go beyond its expansive view. Special coating is designed to help the interior stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter with a Low-E on the roof and Infra-red Reflective coating on the windshield.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Where did the idea that it is electrochromatic get started? I can't find anything that would corroborate it.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Where did the idea that it is electrochromatic get started? I can't find anything that would corroborate it.
The marketing guy wonky_donkey talked to. IMHO, that guy is wrong and all of the other information from Ford that does not mention it as being electrochromatic is correct. It is possible it is actually photoreactive and the marketing guy is confused, but electrochromatic seems unsupported.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
The S really doesn’t get hot in the sun. Maybe it’s a heavier tint than the 3.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
One more confirmation that the sunroof is a Low-E coating, not electrochromic. It's clearly stated near the end of this video for dealers posted on another thread:

JoeSmoeFromIDontKnow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER (canceled)
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof glass and A/C 21_FRD_MCH_48138.jpg.renditions.original

Rats! I like all of the options of the premium except for the glass roof. And nobody else mentions the following: The highly reflective surface will affect the acoustics like on the Tesla's. Likely why Tesla is working on a new glass technology.

I sure hope that a shade will become available to minimize glare and extra noise.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I sure hope that a shade will become available to minimize glare and extra noise.
I'm sure third-parties will quickly come up with shades. However, although they'll help with glare, I don't think you'll see improved noise insulation from a shade.

Dtrauch

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Call me skeptical on this one. The glass may block incoming I/R, but when visible light hits and is absorbed by the interior it gets reflected back as I/R, which is then trapped by the glass - also known as the greenhouse effect. They compound this issue on the California edition by only allowing BLACK interiors to be ordered, which will only accelerate the warming - kind of like reflective sea ice in Antarctica melting and leaving behind dark water to absorb sunlight.

Who knows, maybe the coating performs some magic but it just seems too good to be true.
I own a Tesla Model 3 with the glass roof. I was nervous at first about feeling hot when the sun hits my head, because I remember growing up and hating the sunroof above the back seat of my parent's Honda Element. But, I've never notice on my Model 3 and it honestly feels like the glass is not even there.

If Ford is using the same or similar glass technology, then I don't think you'll notice or mind at all.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
On the Model 3 and Model Y (which I've driven and been a passenger more times than I can count) there is no heat transfer to the inside of the cabin. I am sure Ford is probably using the same type of glass.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just hope it has a dark enough tint that the sun doesn't look harsh, or cause significant light/dark shadowing. I don't need to actually see objects through the roof, but something like 30% light coming through to brighten in the interior modestly would be OK.
Sponsored