MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
My wife and I frequently drive between Woodland Park and Ridgway in Colorado, a ~240 mile trip normally (that we stretched into 255 miles exploring charging options today). Here's the elevation profile:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) mache_ - 6

So as you can imagine, we were nervous about what our range would be like in an EV with this sort of elevation change (the peak in the middle is Monarch Pass if you're curious). We decided to take our time on our first EV trip, stopping at most of the chargers along the way to check them out. There are three 50kW DCFCs on this route, those were our main focus though we also checked out various L2 chargers...a total of six plugs in all (there were a few more L2s we didn't bother to check out). Of those, the only failure was a DCFC in Salida that stopped charging after a few kWh, though credit where credit's due, ChargePoint's app warned us this station was at reduced power and providing 0, so we didn't expect much.

Car is a Premium, AWD, ER

Here's the DCFC we tried out in Buena Vista. Arriving there at a 73% SoC meant we hit the 80% cliff quickly, driving away with an 82% SoC (we started the trip at 100%).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) mache_ - 1-2

Our dog Khaleesi settled in and was right at home, similar to the CX-5 we traded in for this Mach-E:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) mache_ - 2

I found this map view interesting...it looks like it's showing how far we can go in any direction from our current position. One icon is the DCFC it's decided we should stop at, enroute to our final destination (Ridgway).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) mache_ - 3

Finally, charging at home in Ridgway:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) mache_ - 4

So, what's the verdict? Temperatures ranged from 29-45. We had the heat on manual...E-heat turned on, fan set to speed 1, seat heater on low for my wife's seat only. With all the detours we made to check out various chargers, our 240 mile trip ended up being 255...and we averaged a truly impressive 3mi/kWh!!! For reference, in an ICE, our best travel time would be about 4:15, for just under a 60mph average...this trip was longer due to all the charger stops! We set the cruise control to 3-5 over; speed limits were up to 65mph in places.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) mache_ - 5

It should also be noted that for the first half or so of the trip, we were driving into very bad headwinds...forecast to be 20-30 and while I couldn't measure that, it felt like at LEAST 30.

This car was a dream to drive. Truly awesome, Ford did a great job. The lane centering took some getting used to...it doesn't recognize when a lane is diverging into two. It'll try to keep you centered between the two diverging lines, then when a new line appears in the center it freaks out and gives up. Also can't see lines that are covered in the dirt common to Colorado roads in the winter (no surprise there!). So, it's a very nice driver aid, but I can see why Ford is saying they'll only offer hands free on pre-mapped highways.

We had one CarPlay bug...wouldn't show the display and couldn't switch phones...but rebooting the car fixed that.

My only other gripe would be the built in nav...I liked how it planned a charging stop for us (even though we technically could have made it without charging), but we weren't interested in the L2 it chose and wanted to press on to the next DCFC...when we ignored its turn directions and continued on, it never adapted, it never recalculated...it kept trying to get us to turn around for the next 60 miles until we finally stopped at the 'wrong' charger.

We were both really impressed overall...we hit a 3mi/kWh energy consumption through the mountains of Colorado in a pleasant February day drive. Sure, in worst case winter conditions we'll need to really take advantage of one of the chargers we tried out, but most of the year, I think we'll be able to do this drive without stopping (once my wife learns to trust the range meter more!).

We do this drive frequently so I'll update this thread over time with more data. I'm especially curious about energy consumption on the return trip, where we'll gain elevation but typically have a tailwind.

Last edited:

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Is that a 4X? Unless I missed what drive/battery you had stated above.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Our dog Khaleesi settled in and was right at home, similar to the CX-5 we traded in for this Mach-E:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) mache_ - 5
Awesome report, and love your dogs name.... Mostly just wanted to say hi from one Khaleesi to another!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) 1614106157414

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rural Colorado Road Trip in Mach-E 4X performance results (Woodland Park to Ridgway) 1614106157414
Nice write-up and trip. Thanks for sharing!
Question about your EVSE - is that the Grizzl-E with the "premium" cable, or is that the standard one?
I have the standard one, and it's quite thick and hefty.

OP
OP
MattG

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I recall seeing OP's post about a company he's affiliated with making these charging pedestals back in November:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...aration-and-installing-charger.610/post-64008

www.chasestation.com is what he's mentioned.
Whoops, I missed that original post! Thanks...yes, you’re correct. Shown here is a NEMA 14-50 option (for the Grizzl-E to plug into) that we‘re actually not selling yet due to some design issues I’m still working out. I’m also working on a way to install a Chargepoint flex on that post, I’ve got one here that I’d really like to try out.

OP
OP
MattG

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice write-up and trip. Thanks for sharing!
Question about your EVSE - is that the Grizzl-E with the "premium" cable, or is that the standard one?
I have the standard one, and it's quite thick and hefty.
Yes, it’s the premium cable. 21.4mm diameter and nicely flexible even with temps in the teens. If you wanted to swap out for one, it’d be a pretty simple DIY job, that cable is terminated in lugs attached to a terminal strip with screws.

For comparison, the Tesla cable is 14.5mm, and 17.4mm for the cable that came with the Chargepoint Flex. So yeah, these Grizzl-E cables are hefty for sure.

OP
OP
MattG

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really like your home charging station. Looks profession, pretty cool.
Thanks! A friend and I designed it, really targeting more the Tesla crowd currently but as you can tell I’m biased towards Ford so am determined to design an elegant J1772 implementation (working on that now!). ChaseStation.com

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My wife and I frequently drive between Woodland Park and Ridgway in Colorado, a ~240 mile trip normally (that we stretched into 255 miles exploring charging options today). Here's the elevation profile:

So as you can imagine, we were nervous about what our range would be like in an EV with this sort of elevation change (the peak in the middle is Monarch Pass if you're curious). We decided to take our time on our first EV trip, stopping at most of the chargers along the way to check them out. There are three 50kW DCFCs on this route, those were our main focus though we also checked out various L2 chargers...a total of six plugs in all (there were a few more L2s we didn't bother to check out). Of those, the only failure was a DCFC in Salida that stopped charging after a few kWh, though credit where credit's due, ChargePoint's app warned us this station was at reduced power and providing 0, so we didn't expect much.

Here's the DCFC we tried out in Buena Vista. Arriving there at a 73% SoC meant we hit the 80% cliff quickly, driving away with an 82% SoC (we started the trip at 100%).

I found this map view interesting...it looks like it's showing how far we can go in any direction from our current position. One icon is the DCFC it's decided we should stop at, enroute to our final destination (Ridgway).

So, what's the verdict? Temperatures ranged from 29-45. We had the heat on manual...E-heat turned on, fan set to speed 1, seat heater on low for my wife's seat only. With all the detours we made to check out various chargers, our 240 mile trip ended up being 255...and we averaged a truly impressive 3mi/kWh!!! For reference, in an ICE, our best travel time would be about 4:15, for just under a 60mph average...this trip was longer due to all the charger stops! We set the cruise control to 3-5 over; speed limits were up to 65mph in places.

It should also be noted that for the first half or so of the trip, we were driving into very bad headwinds...forecast to be 20-30 and while I couldn't measure that, it felt like at LEAST 30.

This car was a dream to drive. Truly awesome, Ford did a great job. The lane centering took some getting used to...it doesn't recognize when a lane is diverging into two. It'll try to keep you centered between the two diverging lines, then when a new line appears in the center it freaks out and gives up. Also can't see lines that are covered in the dirt common to Colorado roads in the winter (no surprise there!). So, it's a very nice driver aid, but I can see why Ford is saying they'll only offer hands free on pre-mapped highways.

We had one CarPlay bug...wouldn't show the display and couldn't switch phones...but rebooting the car fixed that.

My only other gripe would be the built in nav...I liked how it planned a charging stop for us (even though we technically could have made it without charging), but we weren't interested in the L2 it chose and wanted to press on to the next DCFC...when we ignored its turn directions and continued on, it never adapted, it never recalculated...it kept trying to get us to turn around for the next 60 miles until we finally stopped at the 'wrong' charger.

We were both really impressed overall...we hit a 3mi/kWh energy consumption through the mountains of Colorado in a pleasant February day drive. Sure, in worst case winter conditions we'll need to really take advantage of one of the chargers we tried out, but most of the year, I think we'll be able to do this drive without stopping (once my wife learns to trust the range meter more!).

We do this drive frequently so I'll update this thread over time with more data. I'm especially curious about energy consumption on the return trip, where we'll gain elevation but typically have a tailwind.
In the nav system setup, isn't possible to tell the system to look only for L3 chargers?

OP
OP
MattG

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the nav system setup, isn't possible to tell the system to look only for L3 chargers?
I don’t recall seeing that option....but there are so many selectable settings in that interface that i wouldn’t be surprised.

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Here's the DCFC we tried out in Buena Vista.
saw this picture and thought, dang that place looks a lot like where my grandma and grandpa live..... and I’ll be dang if it wasn’t BV!! Love that part of the country!

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

Thanks for the nice write up. pretty encouraging results