Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
  • Banned
My last explorer retained water like crazy around the control arms on the door, and even a day after rain did.

Same was happening on the Mach-E, even in sunny weather the next day. This will not bode well for the door latches and more importantly the connectors and control arms on the door.

Your best purchase this Amazon prime day? White Lithium grease. Under six bucks.

I noticed it starting water collecting in the trunk too around the latch areas. Wasn't water spilled during opening the hatch either, just standing there from the day before in the door and trunk areas, even in the baking sun.

Check these areas out sometime a day after the rain and you'll likely see water droplets all around the control arms of the trunk and doors.

Pop on a glove, apply lithium grease to the entire part bolted to the vehicle. Especially the bolts. This will give the hardware a hydrophobic barrier that will last a while.

PS: It also makes the Frunk close a hell of a lot easier. Apply a small bit to the hatch, drop it a tiny bit, see where it makes contact. Apply lithium there, open and close it a few times. Went from loud to smooth.

Pro-Tip: Use Meguiars Ultra Fast Finish or a cheap 10H ceramic kit ($25) to spray the area around the piece of HW to make the standing water drain easier, that's next up now that the water isn't standing and causing premature rust to the control arms. basically a layer of wax / sealant to make the water actually drain easier and not hang around the now protected bolt.

One thing, beware of adding it to the door latches, apply them to the door insides where they latch. Otherwise you might end up ruining a polo that way.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rust Prevention - White Lithium Grease 1624377270777
Sponsored

OP
OP
idkhow

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
  • Banned
Thanks for these tips. It did work out great for the rust prevention.
NP. I've had a few vehicles that I always apply some to the control arm on the door, but I noticed these areas collecting condensation heavily on the Mach-E, even when parked in the sun a day after the rain.

Without some form of hydrophobic barrier, this is gonna spell trouble 1 year in, so I lathered them up, even the bolts heavily to avoid what would be coming (rusted bolt or arm 12-18 months in)

Best
K
Sponsored