Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
Hi there! Greetings from Germany.

Just registered here to cross check if people are having the same issues as we have over here.

I recently discoverd what looked like rust unter the paint on 3 of my Mach-E Doors.

The dealer checked it and now gets into contact with Ford to see what to do.

I asked others in a German Mach-E forum to see if they have seen that also on their cars. So far we have 4 with simmilar rust issues at the doors and 5 do not.

Anyone over here already has seen this? So far I didn't read much about rust issues with this car. Only some brake rotor rust that I would consider normal for EVs.

I wouldn't have wondered seeing such things after 5 years or so, as there isn't much rust prevention done from the factory. But the cars are all around a year old only. If people think the battery is the first thing to die, I now would be more worried about the chassis.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rusty doors 20221025_180157

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rusty doors 20221025_180059

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rusty doors 20221025_180038

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rusty doors 20221025_180025

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Where is that? You said the doors, but what surface of the doors? I’ve never seen any wrinkled metal like that anywhere on my car.

OP
OP
LF-X

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
it is a the lower edge of the doors. It touches a rubber seal there if the door is closed. Guess that is for noise damping.

20221026_121850.jpg

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
What is the climate like where you live? How many miles do you have on the car?

OP
OP
LF-X

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
Not even 10.000 miles on it. It was delivered in August 2021. Job 1. Relativly mild continental climate over here. Rainy in the winter, not too much frost.

I do not seem to be the only one over here to have this. Not seen that after one year on any other car ever.

Last edited:

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
Not even 10.000 miles on it. It was delivered in August 2021. Job 1. Relativly mild contintental climate over here. Rainy in the winter, not too much frost.

I do not seem to be the only one over here to have this. Not seen that after one year on any other car ever.
If this is what will eventually happen to the MME's here in the States, consider the value on your/our MME tanking sharply.

Hopefully this is an anomaly.

OP
OP
LF-X

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
They all come from one factory in Mexico.

OP
OP
LF-X

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
The tricky part might be where and what to spray.

I would assume the "water" either was there already in the paint or some glue or just enters through the window and doesn't dry off fast enough. How to get any kind of corrosion prevention through the seam at the bottom? Just putting something on top from the outside won't prevent this. This is coming from inside the door.

The dealer assumes some manufacturing issue. I'm very curious about what Ford suggests. The dealer thinks that they just want to "fix" it by removing what you see on the outside and painting that again. Sounds like no future proof solution to me. If I have to do that on a yearly basis, that car will be sold verrrry quickly.

OP
OP
LF-X

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
yes, they do salt the streets over here when it's cold. But not that much last winter as it was not that cold.

Never seen a car rust that quick before.

I had an BMW 5 from 2001 before this that I drove until 2018. That had just started to show signs of rust after 17 years in the fenders due to stone-chipping. Gave it away because all the other technical things were braking to often. Mostly plastic in the cooling getting cracks ever now an then and a corroded fuel line. From a rust point of view it still could have done a few years.

The Honda Insight I owned before the Mustang was 8 years old. Not s single sign of rust. And the Inisght was pretty much a budget car.

I don't thing wether conditions are problematic over here for cars in general. This seems to be very specific to this car.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
yes, they do salt the streets over here when it's cold. But not that much last winter as it was not that cold.

Never seen a car rust that quick before.
I don't thing wether conditions are problematic over here for cars in general. This seems to be very specific to this car.
I'm so very sorry to hear this. I think anyone reading this thread is going to be more than just a bit concerned about the future for their MME. I've see a report or two on this forum about rust in other locations (on the roof as I recall), but it would seem that given the relative harshness of Northern North America winters and the high use of road salt in those areas, if this is a wide-spread issue, there would be a lot of reports in the US and Canada by now. Some early deliveries have been through most of two winters by now. That said, and also acknowledging the cars all come from the same factory, a couple ideas come to mind for me:

1) the European cars are shipped across the ocean and while that obviously should not result in rusting, it is a difference. Yes, some US (and I think Canadian destined MMEs) are ocean shipped as well, but shorter distances. Again, I'm not making an excuse here for this to happen. Just speculating as to a possible difference between US/Canadian MMEs as compared to European (and German in particular).

2) European-speced cars are different from US-speced cars in a variety of ways, and while again, this isn't an excuse, perhaps there is a difference in the specs of the cars sent to Europe? For instance, perhaps a different paint?

To be clear, the above speculation is predicated on my assumption that similar rust hasn't been seen on North American cars. Obviously if that assumption is incorrect, then it changes everything.

Whatever the cause, I certainly hope Ford treats you right and truly fixes the car with new doors, rather than sanding and painting. I can't possibly imagine that would ever be a really world fix.

Best of luck!

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
I'm so very sorry to hear this. I think anyone reading this thread is going to be more than just a bit concerned about the future for their MME. I've see a report or two on this forum about rust in other locations (on the roof as I recall), but it would seem that given the relative harshness of Northern North America winters and the high use of road salt in those areas, if this is a wide-spread issue, there would be a lot of reports in the US and Canada by now. Some early deliveries have been through most of two winters by now. That said, and also acknowledging the cars all come from the same factory, a couple ideas come to mind for me:

1) the European cars are shipped across the ocean and while that obviously should not result in rusting, it is a difference. Yes, some US (and I think Canadian destined MMEs) are ocean shipped as well, but shorter distances. Again, I'm not making an excuse here for this to happen. Just speculating as to a possible difference between US/Canadian MMEs as compared to European (and German in particular).

2) European-speced cars are different from US-speced cars in a variety of ways, and while again, this isn't an excuse, perhaps there is a difference in the specs of the cars sent to Europe? For instance, perhaps a different paint?

To be clear, the above speculation is predicated on my assumption that similar rust hasn't been seen on North American cars. Obviously if that assumption is incorrect, then it changes everything.

Whatever the cause, I certainly hope Ford treats you right and truly fixes the car with new doors, rather than sanding and painting. I can't possibly imagine that would ever be a really world fix.

Best of luck!
I think you may be on to something.
https://www.cambronbodyshop.com/saltwater-and-rust-understanding-this-ocean-side-car-problem

We all know saltwater can accelerate the rust on cars but there is also the problem with temperature fluctuations and humidity and if the cars were on the cargo ship for a period of time while docked, who knows what kind of damage that could have? It would be interesting to see if all the cars that are noticed with rust came off the same ship?

I would have guessed there would have been someone in North America experience this as well if we were comparing apples to apples? This is the first I am hearing this?

The shipping (and lack of care taken) may have been the culprit.

Man oh man I hope there is a simple answer to this. This is making me a little nervous. Hopefully someone knows the "why" and give us a little less anxiety going forward. We are going to start the Winter here shortly and I am going to not be able to sleep thinking that my car will soon look bad. This will be a killer for the reputation of this car if all of them start to rust.

BuckBaker

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT Cyber Orange, '86 Bronco, '83 280zx
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
They all come from one factory in Mexico.
I'm wondering if this might actually be part of the issue. Maybe it has something to do with being transported across the ocean? Something something salty sea water

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Are the doors not made of Aluminum? That is not right. Look at the corrosion inside the drain hole at the lower edge of that door!
Sponsored

Last edited: