barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
Hey everyone. Ready to pull the trigger and can't decided between AWD or RWD extendedrange. We test drove a RWD and liked it. We also live in Vegas and won't likely take it past CA. We Do get rain here and not sure how the RWD handles well. We can afford the AWD but are concerned with the range going from 300 to 270. Especially since the battery decreases in range as it ages.

I'm open to any feedback. I'd like to order soon before Ford stops accepting orders or Jack's up the price.
Sponsored

highmesa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 BMW i4 xDrive40
Country flag
Unless you are planning on ski trips to Tahoe, I'd say RWD for the longer range.

OP
OP

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unless you are planning on ski trips to Tahoe, I'd say RWD for the longer range.
We Do have a 4X4 Cherokee for off road and snowy drives. I'm wondering how well the RWD handles in rain. I imagine it will be okay if we accelerate very slowly on wet roads. I don't think it has traction control or anything like that.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hey everyone. Ready to pull the trigger and can't decided between AWD or RWD extendedrange. We test drove a RWD and liked it. We also live in Vegas and won't likely take it past CA. We Do get rain here and not sure how the RWD handles well. We can afford the AWD but are concerned with the range going from 300 to 270. Especially since the battery decreases in range as it ages.

I'm open to any feedback. I'd like to order soon before Ford stops accepting orders or Jack's up the price.
If range is what you want, do the RWD. If the extra performance is appealing to you, do the AWD. Day to day, the AWD might be more fun but the 10% extra range on the RWD makes quicker work of road trips.

OP
OP

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If range is what you want, do the RWD. If the extra performance is appealing to you, do the AWD. Day to day, the AWD might be more fun but the 10% extra range on the RWD makes quicker work of road trips.
We are an older couple (50ish) so crazy performance isn't important but handling in rain is. My dealer said it is about 50/50 out here in Las Vegas.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Trying to figure out the need part. How long have you had yours? Have you driven on wet roads?
Nope! I'm totally not worried about them though. It's a really heavy vehicle even with just the rear motor and smaller battery. I expect it won't be floating and I won't feel much loss of control. I could be wrong, obviously, but this is my current expectation.

My Fiesta hatchback was quite lightweight by comparison and could be pushed around fairly easily in strong winds. When it rains here it's sometimes combined with high gusting winds and massive amounts of dust, which can be scary to drive in no matter what vehicle.

But we tend to get our rain in a few narrow seasons. It hasn't rained at all during my Mach-E ownership (starting March 6).

OP
OP

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope! I'm totally not worried about them though. It's a really heavy vehicle even with just the rear motor and smaller battery. I expect it won't be floating and I won't feel much loss of control. I could be wrong, obviously, but this is my current expectation.

My Fiesta hatchback was quite lightweight by comparison and could be pushed around fairly easily in strong winds. When it rains here it's sometimes combined with high gusting winds and massive amounts of dust, which can be scary to drive in no matter what vehicle.

But we tend to get our rain in a few narrow seasons. It hasn't rained at all during my Mach-E ownership (starting March 6).
We have a motor home and dread driving in the spring wind in the Vegas area. The wind here is crazy in the spring.

PIO132

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E FE
Country flag
I'm also in Las Vegas (Northwest) and we went with the Mach-E FE AWD EXT. Since this is a daily driver, we wanted better traction during inclement weather. Between monsoon season (Late June-July) and winter rain and snow (January several inches of snow last year) safety won out over the extra mileage of the RWD. With around 3,500 miles we've been averaging 3.0 to 3.3 kWh since March. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm also in Las Vegas (Northwest) and we went with the Mach-E FE AWD EXT. Since this is a daily driver, we wanted better traction during inclement weather. Between monsoon season (Late June-July) and winter rain and snow (January several inches of snow last year) safety won out over the extra mileage of the RWD. With around 3,500 miles we've been averaging 3.0 to 3.3 kWh since March. Hope this helps.
Your MME FE looks great. We just found out about the three weeks ago. We were considering something else and decided to try it out. I called the dealership yiu purchased from and did not get a good vibe plus they wanted $3K ADM if ordering with them.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
We Do have a 4X4 Cherokee for off road and snowy drives. I'm wondering how well the RWD handles in rain. I imagine it will be okay if we accelerate very slowly on wet roads. I don't think it has traction control or anything like that.
I live in Michigan and picked up an RWD. Got in February so I drove it in snow.

Rain is a non-issue for the car. Your passengers can enjoy the novelty of lookup up through the roof at the rain falling.

Some dashcam footage of my driving it through a snowy campground:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
yes it does have traction control, abs, etc. The RWD won't have any problem in rain, and as @JamieGeek showed the ER RWD he has is more than capable in Michigan so should have no trouble in Nevada. I have the same model as @JamieGeek and I haven't taken it for a drive in the snow but traction in rain hasn't been a problem. If you're really worried about it get the peace of mind with AWD. As long as you have the ER battery range should be fine; @dbsb3233 has driven back and forth to vegas from colorado a couple of times now in his AWD ER with no issue. You could try using abrp to plan out a few trips to confirm, but there are enough chargers spaced close enough together that the AWD should be fine on range.

OP
OP

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes it does have traction control, abs, etc. The RWD won't have any problem in rain, and as @JamieGeek showed the ER RWD he has is more than capable in Michigan so should have no trouble in Nevada. I have the same model as @JamieGeek and I haven't taken it for a drive in the snow but traction in rain hasn't been a problem. If you're really worried about it get the peace of mind with AWD. As long as you have the ER battery range should be fine; @dbsb3233 has driven back and forth to vegas from colorado a couple of times now in his AWD ER with no issue. You could try using abrp to plan out a few trips to confirm, but there are enough chargers spaced close enough together that the AWD should be fine on range.
Thanks, think we are thinking of going with the RWD extended range.
Sponsored