DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
but still disappointing and less safety rating than model 3, ID4 and Etron.
Disappointing? That's an amazing statement. The "+" is based on the headlights being available as standard on all trim levels. They are not. Since this was well known before the test, anyone expecting a "+" would have to either have been (1) ignorant of how the "+" is awarded or (2) brain dead. Just saying.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
these guys need some more patches on their shirts

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Absolutely OK. But you weren't disappointed, just indifferent! ;)

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Last edited:

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Showing my euro bias here, but until light standards are changed half the cars sold in the USA should be given a giant minus for the headlights as they are utter rubbish, candles in jam jars would be better a description for some vehicles I have had the displeasure of having to drive at nighttime over here.

So while things have improved in the upper trim levels, until the latest matrix led and advanced projector head lights are legal manufactures are just going to continue to offer bean counter specials lower down or have to try and downgrade the existing matrix head lights to work with antiqued regs.

So while I commend the IIHS for marking down poor headlights they also need to push on the regs being changed, and while they are at it I would also get them to consider docking marks for non amber turn signals in the rear and get those regs updated so animated ones don't need to be composed from oversized blobs forcing the continued use of red.

I think we all have no problems with letting 60's cars continue to be grand fathered in with legacy rules but it is time for the USA lighting regs to join the 21st century and manufactures can then save money buy being able to use the same light units in multiple regions.