Safety comparison little less than model 3- Etron

Deleted member 2014

Yes busted, not me but Mach e. I stick around as I have machE .

I guess everyone here is pissed as it rates lower than its competitors. That’s just a fact and y’all are just justifying lower safety rating due to it cheap headlights. Headlights are important part of safety . Hoping the rating will improve on 2022 mache
Why don't you go and do a nice Roadtrip in "your" Etron? Let's say for about year. Feel free to leave your mobile phone at home and any other devices you can access this forum with...
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I honestly didn’t know that a car could do outstanding in every single category and get Dow checked simply because of headlamps. I’m the first to admit that headlamps aren’t the greatest across the line, but to condemn an entire line of cars because one model has headlamps that are lower in standard seems silly. At a minimum, they should assign different weighting’s to the different models in the line.
To be honest, I’m not sure that having regulations that would permit higher quality headlamps is the answer. I think we would need regulations requiring higher minimums.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
if so you might be a double winner.

Last edited:

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Sometimes you have to really read into the reports and compare the specs.
Disappointing that Ford wouldn’t equip all trim levels with the safest lights, however I find it interesting that more isn’t made of the other differences that showed up.

For example.

MME pedestrian avoidance rated Superior, stopping before impact in 5 of 6 scenarios & slowing to 2 mph from 37 in the other.

M3 managed to avoid pedestrian impact in 3 of 6 tests earning an Advanced rating. The M3 barely slowed from 25mph, hitting the child at 20 mph.

In the small overlap test MME earned a Good rating in lower leg & foot protection with minimal risk of injuries. M3 is rated lower as Acceptable with moderate risk of injury to the left lower leg.

Volvo XC40 Recharge earned Acceptable ratings in lower leg [small overlap] as well as torso [side impact].

MME roof strength to weight ratio was higher than both M3 & e-tron. Both MME & e-tron roofs stood up to more than 28,000 pounds of force. M3 21,000.

Of course the real elephant in the room is what is Tesla hiding by not testing the MY?

Last edited:

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
I honestly didn’t know that a car could do outstanding in every single category and get Dow checked simply because of headlamps. I’m the first to admit that headlamps aren’t the greatest across the line, but to condemn an entire line of cars because one model has headlamps that are lower in standard seems silly. At a minimum, they should assign different weighting’s to the different models in the line.
I think that ideally, each sub-model would have it's own rating, but that could easily become cumbersome to manage and confusing for the general public.

I admit that I was unaware of the "+" rating criteria for headlights, and since IIHS is up front about it and provides the scoring for all the components of the overall score, this seems reasonable to me. Ford certainly had to know how this would shake out, they know how the tests are administered.

Bottom line for me is that although no single test is perfect, I would rather be able to compare specific objectively-tested items from vehicle to vehicle and use that info as part of my purchasing decision. I can do the subjective comparisons myself on my test drive, I cannot replicate the crash/safety tests.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's interesting that Audi got dinged for the same headlight issue on lower models, but still got the + rating. The TFL guys even mentioned that they didn't understand that and are guessing it may be a change in the way ratings are done between model years.

bburk00

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'68 Mustang, 2021 MME FE, 2022 MME GTPE
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here is where I think it matters and it makes the Mach E better. The headlights are eh whatever. The Mach E is actually safer for pedestrians to be around:
Mach E:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety comparison little less than model 3- Etron 1619708686096

Tesla Model 3:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety comparison little less than model 3- Etron 1619708662700

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
It's interesting that Audi got dinged for the same headlight issue on lower models, but still got the + rating. The TFL guys even mentioned that they didn't understand that and are guessing it may be a change in the way ratings are done between model years.
+ rating requires Good or Acceptable headlight rating on all trims.

Audi rec’d Acceptable on lower trim.
MME Select has Marginal rating.

machefordy

First Name
mache
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache 2021
Country flag
this whole thread blows me away. The thread just lists a video which compares the safety comparision based on facts and clearly shows Mach E on one lower tier compared to Model 3, Etron , VW and that is it. I like the faith and possessive attitude owners have in Mach E but facts are facts which show that there are better players out there. my two cents.

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
this whole thread blows me away. The thread just lists a video which compares the safety comparision based on facts and clearly shows Mach E on one lower tier compared to Model 3, Etron , VW and that is it. I like the faith and possessive attitude owners have in Mach E but facts are facts which show that there are better players out there. my two cents.
Uhhhhh. Wut?

If that mach e you have listed as your vehicle is a select with the reflective headlamps, then sure. There are "better players."

If it is literally any of the other trim levels, then you are in a vehicle with empirically lower risk of injury than any of the competitors you mentioned.

Facts are indeed facts.

machefordy

First Name
mache
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache 2021
Country flag
Uhhhhh. Wut?

If that mach e you have listed as your vehicle is a select with the reflective headlamps, then sure. There are "better players."

If it is literally any of the other trim levels, then you are in a vehicle with empirically lower risk of injury than any of the competitors you mentioned.

Facts are indeed facts.
completely agreed. not worth saving a few thousand and be left out on some highly desirable features including the headlights. headlamps upgrade should only cost a couple hundered dollars and ford should have them standard same for all trims.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
completely agreed. not worth saving a few thousand and be left out on some highly desirable features including the headlights. headlamps upgrade should only cost a couple hundered dollars and ford should have them standard same for all trims.
While I agree the issue here is that if someone likes what the select offers they have no option to improve those headlight are are left with a marginal rated headlamp.

The euro mustangs obviously do not have the same trim groupings but it is telling that the basic entry level headlamp that everyone gets is the top spec one on USA models :(.

Ford could have easily gone sorry folks until rules changed we can't give the the adaptive version so you all have to make do with the led projector, but instead they pass the led projector off as an upgrade and give the select a led reflector and quite rightly should get marked down for it.

What I found interesting was that the USA polestar 2 still has the matrix lights it just hasn't got that feature enabled, but could. This is something that ford could have done so if when rules finally allow it enable via OTA.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety comparison little less than model 3- Etron 1619715328173

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
but still disappointing and less safety rating than model 3, ID4 and Etron.
Not really because it's a ridiculous metric. The LED headlights on the Select are not as 'safe' as the LED headlights on the other trims? Give me a break. Semantics.
Sponsored