jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Wow. Every one ever made. Software update.
Hopefully not. It could have been a bad batch of contactors (or some other component related to electrical switching). I would imagine the issue is not systemic or they'd have more than a 1% brick rate.

At any rate, glad Ford is addressing the issue. This kind of thing is bound to happen with early adoption of new technology. I'm just glad it's not Chevy Bolt style - aka the car turning into a fireball.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Hopefully not. It could have been a bad batch of contactors (or some other component related to electrical switching). I would imagine the issue is not systemic or they'd have more than a 1% brick rate.
I disagree with this. From what I've gathered it is likely a design issue and the reason we mostly see it in GTs is because they generate higher current which equals more heat.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
This is my EDUCATED GUESS, not any factual info.

A software update will come to all vehicles to help reduce the issue. Some vehicles will get replacement parts. This is my GUESS. It is possible all vehicles get replacement parts... we'll have to wait and see. There's a ton of unknown so its a wait and see game now.
So what would be your educated guess for those of us who have had OTA 2.4.2 or CSP 21P22 that has updated the SOBDMC and BECM code already (not on the original factory code anymore)? Less likely to have this issue in those cases?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
So what would be your educated guess for those of us who have had OTA 2.4.2 or CSP 21P22 that has updated the SOBDMC and BECM code already (not on the original factory code anymore)? Less likely to have this issue in those cases?
My guess is no, 2.4.2 and 21P22 will make no difference....but just my guess. I do not know.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Does this mean if I am waiting for my car, I'm shit out of luck until q3?
If it was built before (and maybe on?) May 24th, 2022 - yes. Unfortunately. Really sucks for those people.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
So, this means I’m theoretically in the clear, right?

I haven’t even taken delivery yet and a delay to Q3 would be very frustrating!
If it was built 5/27 like your picture shows then according to the notice yes you would be ok to take delivery. Ask your salesman to be 100% sure.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I disagree with this. From what I've gathered it is likely a design issue and the reason we mostly see it in GTs is because they generate higher current which equals more heat.
Does this mean they will detune the GTs to avoid the problem? The 5 second limit will seem like a dream if they do that. Queue the class action lawyers.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
On May 24th a bunch of FDRS updates were released including the two modules mentioned in this thread released. Since this is the time when productions seems to pick up the fix, maybe the software fix is already out in FDRS since May 24th

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-stop-safely-now-in-the-ipc.17987/post-427360

However we don't know if an replacement part is also required together with a software update.

Last edited:

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
You could be completely right, but truth is, we really don't know.

I will tell you I recently did a 2000 mile road-trip to Charleston, SC, did not at any time have covered parking, and my car got non-stop baked in the sun . When I'd get back in the car, the temp sensor would read over 115F at times (cooled down to around 99F once I got the wind from the interstate). DCFC'd all the way there and back, and I was not gentle with my acceleration. Not once did I have any issues with the car.

Obviously more current = more heat, so a GT would seem to be particularly vulnerable, but contactors are rated for current, and I'm sure the Ford engineering team would not be foolish enough to mass produce a car with an under-specced contactor for the HVB. I'm also sure they'd run stress tests where the motor was drawing full power from the HVB for an extended period of time.

PNWJustin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium EAWD
Country flag
My Extended Range AWD Premium MME is on the recall list according to Ford Chat. It just got into town, so now it'll sit in their lots for days..weeks...months (take your pick).

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Q3 on Ford’s calendar? Woof
I just realized: Q3 starts on July 1. It's already June 13. Maybe my Mach-E nearly to my dealer will be allowed to be delivered relatively soon? {Jonathan}
Sponsored