SuperRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
Just saw this on Twitter ... Karl is in Ford Communications.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 10.09.56 AM

Be prepared for charging or other performance degradation, because I don't see how they're going to "fix" this in software without doing either or both.

I wonder if he's dizzy from all that spinning. "There is not a 'stop sale.'" Yeah, sure.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The dealers can't even install a simple update. I can say with 100% certainty that not a single dealership in my area will have someone with the knowledge to fix this issue when I ask about it.

I've had very honest conversations with several dealers now. The answer is always they don't know. I don't yell at them or anything. I just hate Ford for not preparing them for this car.
Here's the problem with your statement. You are ASSUMING that the dealership, which has to be certified to sell EVs, didn't send techs to school so that the techs could be certified to service EVs. You're assuming that every issue with doing work on EVs is Ford's fault, not the tech who can't read the damn instructions and follow them exactly as written.

My dealership is on top of EVs and still has issues. Mostly Ford's fault, some does rest with the dealer though.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
It doesn"t show up yet on the Ford Pass App. You have to run an oasis. I can do that for you if you want to message me your vin#
I'll PM you, thanks for offering!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 10.09.56 AM

Be prepared for charging or other performance degradation, because I don't see how they're going to "fix" this in software without doing either or both.

I wonder if he's dizzy from all that spinning. "There is not a 'stop sale.'" Yeah, sure.
Pretty funny when Ford's communication to dealers clearly says "DELIVERY HOLD".

LeanneL

First Name
Leanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTP
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

Would love to know his definition of a 'stop sale'. lol

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I'm skeptical its just a software update. Especially for GTs. We'll see. If it fails you get the new part I guess. I feel like they'd have to neuter the GT to not replace the parts.

It's a 'delivery hold'. You can't sell a new Mach E built before May 25th lol. Used is fine.

Last edited:

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
This is crazy, my GTPE is now held at the dealer until this storm blows over.

but I will say, it takes awhile for engineering to find the root cause. As these were failing, they were shipping them back to ford for engineering to diagnose. Once they figure out what has happening then they need to back track with the company that manufactures the JB, at this point they need to see if this was always the case, which I'm betting not. Let say the 3rd Party Manufacturer, used 2 sources for a part. Which part is failing, company A or company B

You have to give Ford time to reverse the manufacturing back to the source. Keep in mind that each car's VIN is tracking all the components of the car. So once they have the cause, and visibility on components for the 3rd party, they can then narrow down the VIN list.

We are probably waiting for the batch numbers from the 3rd party JB to workout how many are effected.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
https://apple.news/AWQ8Ibi9lSGuRoAgZ9nPyBg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said Tuesday it is recalling about 49,000 Mustang Mach-E electric vehicles in the United States because a part could overheat and result in a loss of driving power.
The No. 2 U.S. automaker said DC fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events can cause the high voltage battery main contactors to overheat. Ford said it will address the issue that covers Mach-E vehicles built from late May 2020 through late May 2022 with a software update it expects to begin next month.

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
I think it's a communications semantics...

"STOP SALE" means not taking new sales I assume
"DELIVERY HOLD" means don't deliver the car when it's ready

... well, they stopped taking new orders for Mach E already for the year...so "this" reason is not a "STOP SALE"... they're just not delivering... :)

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
https://apple.news/AWQ8Ibi9lSGuRoAgZ9nPyBg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said Tuesday it is recalling about 49,000 Mustang Mach-E electric vehicles in the United States because a part could overheat and result in a loss of driving power.
The No. 2 U.S. automaker said DC fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events can cause the high voltage battery main contactors to overheat. Ford said it will address the issue that covers Mach-E vehicles built from late May 2020 through late May 2022 with a software update it expects to begin next month.
Well, I can’t always avoid DC fast charging but I can at least avoid flooring it.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Last updated 6/14/22
DO NOT CALL YOUR DEALER TO SCHEDULE SERVICE! PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!!

At the bottom of this post I have added information to help people understand what is going on.

NOTE: NOT ALL VEHICLES ARE AFFECTED NECESSARILY. VIN lists will be distributed when the time comes. Please be patient. Just know Ford has recognized this problem exists and it is a safety related issue. No action should be done at this time from any Mach E owner.

It's finally here! This is the recall for the HVBJB issues people have been having. Note this is an ADVANCE NOTICE recall meaning no fix is available but Ford has identified a problem! It is safe to continue driving your car in my opinion.

Anyone with an affected VIN that hasn't taken delivery of their car yet...I'm sorry but if it was built before May 24th you won't be able to until at least Q3.

You will be notified in the mail if you have an affected vehicle when parts/software updates are available! Do not call the dealer now!

Bulletin to dealers below:
------------------------
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Advance Notice - Safety Recall 22S41
Certain 2021-2022 Model Year Mustang Mach-E Vehicles
Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDMC) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) Software Update

Affected Vehicles: Certain 20201-2022 Mustang Mach E's produced at Cuautitlan between May 27, 2020 and May 24, 2022.

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In the affected vehicles, it is possible that the high voltage battery main contactors may overheat, which can result in an open contactor or welding condition. Should the contactors weld closed while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated on the next drive cycle, along with a no start condition.
If the contactors open while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated, the vehicle will display Stop Safely Now in the instrument panel cluster, and the vehicle will experience an immediate loss of motive power. The vehicle will coast to a stop, and all 12V systems including power brakes and steering will remain functional.
SERVICE ACTION
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 3rd quarter of 2022 when it is anticipated that software and/or parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published. Opening an RO against an Awareness or Advance Notice will result in warranty rejections against a recall.
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information have been provided to dealers.

PDF HERE:

View attachment r22S41AN.pdf
----------------------------
Another Note from me: This thread is just to help people become informed. There are NO publicly released FACTS about this issue. Anything is speculation. Please wait for Ford to notify you and release more information.

What we do think we know. NOTE THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL FORD STATEMENTS THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON INFORMATION I HAVE GATHERED ON THIS FORUM!
What is the HVBJB?
HVBJB is the assembly that has contactors, fuses, and some other electrical components at the front inside of the battery pack. This connects the DCFC to the HVB as well as the rest of the car when it is turned on.

What is the problem?
The HVBJB contactors can get in a stuck open or stuck closed state. From reading failures on the forum I have gathered that MOST failures are the + contactor that powers the whole car welding closed due to excessive heat. If this happens the car will not turn off while driving but will not restart.

Why is this a safety recall?
If the contactor gets stuck open while driving the car will lose its propulsion and 12v battery charging. This could be dangerous. If it gets stuck closed it is unlikely to cause an unsafe condition, but if both the + and - become stuck closed then the battery cannot be isolated which can be dangerous. Therefore the vehicle will not restart if one is stuck closed.

Am I a part of the recall?
We don't know yet. You need to wait for Ford to notify you. There is no reason to look now, though you can find out with Ford chat or running your vin in Ford ETIS. I do not recommend calling your dealer at this time unless your vehicle has a drivability issue. It appears possibly every single Mach E built before May 24, 2022 may be impacted but it is unknown at this time.

What is the fix?
Exact fix for each vehicle is unknown. It appears a new HVBJB part may be required, a software update may be required, or both. We do not know and will not know until Ford releases more information.

What should I do now?
Absolutely nothing. Continue driving your car. The only advice I can give is especially if you have a GT/GT Performance model try to avoid a lot of high speed driving (90MPH+) and try to do your best to be easy on the throttle. Back to back full throttle applications can generate a lot of heat in the battery components including the HVBJB and heat seems to be the largest cause of this failure. Again this is MY OPINION, not any facts given to us from Ford.

When can I expect more information?
Great question! Ford says fix coming Q3...but from what I've gathered its most likely late August at the earliest we will see something. I would expect more information released when the fix is available around then. Patience is a virtue now. I will update this with the latest information as it is released.

Also guys I wouldn't hold your breath on this removing the 5 second power limit for the GT. I believe there are other limitations of the battery pack causing that.
By the way, Ford's information for dealers is out-of-date: as of the most recent revisions to 49 CFR 578.6, the current penalty for dealers selling cars subject to safety recalls (thereby violating 49 U.S.C. 30120(i)) is up to $24,423. Just sayin'. {Jonathan}