Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Having a hard time with the overheating noted for it to stick open. For me -28C plugged in to L2 when it happens just sitting not being used. Makes you wonder how it would overheated in that condition more like freezing open.

I have had the sobdmc, becm and hvjb changed already on this vehicle but it was with the older parts (HVJB old part number on invoice). Play it again Sam? Deja vu? Or some software fix that cripples the car? None sound gr8.

I can tell you how throttling this car for a fix will go over. Maybe not for a huge buffer or a ridiculously poor unengineered charging curve but if there was ever a straw reducing power and its drive performance maybe it. The reason I have put up with this car is because it drives so well and now there is speculation they may take that away also OTA? Didn't pay the extra for a bolt. Want to see some go on a rant just start reducing performance and see how that gets spread. That is not a fix it is a slap in the face. Turning off auto updates tomorrow morning until I see how this goes.
Sponsored

TheQ42

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Product Management
Country flag
Hi. So, I was planning on taking my Mach-E Premium AWD to Florida from Cleveland this weekend--driving it around down there for two weeks, then driving it back home. That means a lot of DCFC and highway miles in the middle of summer.

I also don't have an alternative vehicle that would for work this trip, and renting an EV (because I don't want to drive an ICE if I don't have to) would cost me $3,000 freaking dollars.

Honest question: how worried should I be about making the trip? I'm splitting the driving down there and back into two days, with a slow, overnight charge when we stop for the night each way. But still, that's 7 DCFC stops on the way down (across two days) and 8 on the way back (across two days).

Edit: I have a Job 2 2021 MME, and the charging curve update, to my knowledge, has not been applied (so I drop to Slow Town after 80%).

Last edited:

Louis

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Orange Prem AWD ER ordered 8/14/21, still waiting
Country flag
I’m literally the most unlucky person on earth. I booked tickets for a vacation trip knowing that the car would arrive next weekend. I was to pick it up tomorrow as it came early a week, dealer called me telling me that my car is affected and can not sell it anymore until it’s fixed. A first estimate would be August - September.

I think we should at least get some kind of refund from Ford. This is unbelievably disturbing as I have vacation planned at that point and no one can guarantee that the dealer will keep the car on his lot until Im back and obviously I’m not canceling my overseas trip.

long story short we should organize and do something about it. We bought the 2021 car and will be delivered in almost more than a year.
You’re the unluckiest person on earth?? Have you watched the news? It’s just a car.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
This thread needs to be more productive..

so What’s a good comeback for trolling ICE Mustang drivers now?
My MME can beat your ICE Mustang..........at least once!

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Hi. So, I was planning on taking my Mach-E Premium AWD to Florida from Cleveland this weekend--driving it around down there for two weeks, then driving it back home. That means a lot of DCFC and highway miles in the middle of summer.

I also don't have an alternative vehicle that would for work this trip, and renting an EV (because I don't want to drive an ICE if I don't have to) would cost me $3,000 freaking dollars.

Honest question: how worried should I be about making the trip? I'm splitting the driving down there and back into two days, with a slow, overnight charge when we stop for the night each way. But still, that's 7 DCFC stops on the way down (across two days) and 8 on the way back (across two days).

Edit: I have a Job 2 2021 MME, and the charging curve update, to my knowledge, has not been applied (so I drop to Slow Town after 80%).
From what I've read you will likely be just fine. But it's best not to drive it too hard, especially shortly before your arrival to the DCFC, and potentially shortly thereafter.

Good luck and have a great trip!

H.Bergeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lightning
Country flag
This makes it sound like Ford will just hobble the car with software rather than adding more robust hardware.

es but I think less likely because this configuration draws the least power and
Sounds like this is fixable with software update. (Sorry if it's been said already, thread too long...)

As it's heat related, not stressing it (ie: flooring it, or hauling too much weight, etc) probably helps until fix is in place.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Don't drive super aggressively/floor it all the time. Try to limit your DC fast charging. Don't floor it to the DC fast charge.
And always enter the car with the right foot first

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
This makes it sound like Ford will just hobble the car with software rather than adding more robust hardware.
Hardware might not be the issue. Instruction to the hardware in the form of software might. It’s possible they fix the software and it becomes a non-event for most of us. Those that also have, or have had, damage might need both a software fix and a hardware fix. We shall see just how this shakes out. “Soon™“

bgentilesco

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM Premium
Occupation
Project manager
Country flag
No one on this forum reported Rwd Sr having the failure
Ding ding ding… I’m the lucky one! Premium RWD SR built on 5/24 is part of it. Dealer texted me today and said it was part of it. He also said that they heard the fix will likely deploy in August. Fingers crossed it’s not that long.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
You're cruising on the highway at 80+mph, coming up on your DCFC exit. So, you take the offramp, slowing down to eventually a complete stop. Regen throws a crapload of electrons through those relays. Now you plug into DCFC and pull 150 (maybe 160)kw through those some relays. Cooling kicks on hard, sure, but resistive heating is pretty instant and cooling isn't. Already toasty relays get cooked before the cooling has a chance to pull any heat out of them.

If my logic above is correct (big if), I would think they could address a lot of the DCFC without nerfing it too much if at all. The initial spike in the charge rate is probably where the most heat is generated in the relays. If they start the charge at 80 - 100kW while letting the cooling system spool up, then ramp up to 125kw or 150kw followed by the normal charge curve, then charging time will be pretty much the same. This does add the risk that if someone only needs a 5-10 minute charge, they could stop the charge during the 150kw spike. If that happens, I would imagine that full throttle/full regen will be inaccessible until the system cools off.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Ding ding ding… I’m the lucky one! Premium RWD SR built on 5/24 is part of it. Dealer texted me today and said it was part of it. He also said that they heard the fix will likely deploy in August. Fingers crossed it’s not that long.
Look at the bright side... sorry, there is none.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Really busy thread ...

Apologies if this has been addressed, but any tips on how to *not* drive the car in order to prevent this issue from surfacing while on the road?
The most common sense piece of advice is to be thoughtful about how you park it. Tow points are under the front of the car. Back in or pull through when practible.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] 1655267382889

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Sorry to say : next software update is going to be a loss of power ! Reducing the amps and voltage to lessen the chance of some component meltdowns. If removing the battery pack is part of the recall for some 50,000 MME it would not surprise me if it took a year or so. The MME just fell into a large stink hole along with FORD !!! Don't get me wrong, I love my MME its 13 months old, 18,000 miles and never been in the shop. YET !!! Better knock on wood !!

Last edited: