benzapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: 2022 Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
I highly doubt Ford deliberately chose a part that was not fit for purpose. Why would they do that, it costs them more down there line. Also, every single car manufacturer (likely with the exception of super cars or high-end performance vehicles) chooses parts based on the accountant. No manufacturer is going to over-spec a part just because and increase the manufacturing cost of the car. As an engineer, there are plenty of safety factors built in such that parts are not chosen on the borderline of the specs. Point is, every component in the Mach E had to be approved by an accountant. This is actually a good thing, our cars would be far more expensive if just built by the engineers.
Not sure if this is snark or not, so going to drop this bit of history here just in case:

"Internal company documents showed that Ford secretly crash-tested the Pinto more than forty times before it went on the market and that the Pinto's fuel tank ruptured in every test performed at speeds over twenty-five miles per hour. This rupture created a risk of fire.​
"Ford engineers considered numerous solutions to the fuel tank problem, including lining the fuel tank with a nylon bladder at a cost of $5.25 to $8.00 per vehicle, adding structural protection in the rear of the car at a cost of $4.20 per vehicle, and placing a plastic baffle between the fuel tank and the differential housing at a cost of $1.00 per vehicle. None of these protective devices was used.​
"Adding to the pressure to ignore these safety costs was Lee Iacocca's stated goal that the Pinto was not to weigh an ounce over 2,000 pounds and not to cost a cent over $2,000. So, even when a crash test showed that a one-pound, one-dollar piece of plastic prevented the gas tank from being punctured, the alternative was thrown out as extra cost and extra weight."​

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Wanted to add that safety recalls are covered even AFTER the basic car warranty. The extended warranty won't be needed/used for these instances.
this is also an EV powertrain component so likely not covered by the extended warranty (but covered by the 8 year 100k miles).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It has not changed. They did not update that module. Are we expecting a change in the rear motor software?
Not necessarily, but the reason I ask is that the recall lists updated versions for the SOBDMC and BECM. From what I can tell at least some of the SOBDMC versions listed have already been out since January in FDRS and February via OTA (at least for Job 1 cars). So I'm wondering if you were already running one of those updated versions when your car "took a break".

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] 1655322142195

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I’m wondering how the SOBDMC will monitor contactor temp because as far as I know there isn’t a temp sensor in it. They must be trying to model the temp profile in software?

BECM measures voltage on both sides of the contactors and current though the pack, so it could measure resistance with additional calculations.

Also wondering if this is a final fix or a stopgap like the Bolt until hardware replacement is possible.

Last edited:

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium GB
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I believe that limiting the issue through a Software update is at best a temporary fix. There is likely a materials issue in the HVBJB - similar to using a 40A plug to pull 48 amps. Works for a while, but not for everyone. This is also akin to why we use # 4 wire in our Industrial units for 50 A, even though # 6 is "acceptable". Please excuse me if others have opined similarly, but I wonder if 2023 units will have heavier components. :rolleyes:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Not necessarily, but the reason I ask is that the recall lists updated versions for the SOBDMC and BECM. From what I can tell at least some of the SOBDMC versions listed have already been out since January in FDRS and February via OTA (at least for Job 1 cars). So I'm wondering if you were already running one of those updated versions when your car "took a break".

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] 1655322142195
I had to look...and I do have the BBG version of the SOBDMC...but sadly only the BB version of the BECM. It's always something....

Mike

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m wondering how the BECM will monitor contactor temp because as far as I know there isn’t a temp sensor in it. They must be trying to model the temp profile in software?

BECM measures voltage on both sides of the contactors and current though the pack, so it could measure resistance with additional calculations.

Also wondering if this is a final fix or a stopgap like the Bolt until hardware replacement is possible.
It sounds like the SOBDMC will monitor contactor temperature and the BECM will monitor resistance. How that will happen without a temp sensor is anyone's guess.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] 1655322787991

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not sure if this is snark or not, so going to drop this bit of history here just in case:

"Internal company documents showed that Ford secretly crash-tested the Pinto more than forty times before it went on the market and that the Pinto's fuel tank ruptured in every test performed at speeds over twenty-five miles per hour. This rupture created a risk of fire.​
"Ford engineers considered numerous solutions to the fuel tank problem, including lining the fuel tank with a nylon bladder at a cost of $5.25 to $8.00 per vehicle, adding structural protection in the rear of the car at a cost of $4.20 per vehicle, and placing a plastic baffle between the fuel tank and the differential housing at a cost of $1.00 per vehicle. None of these protective devices was used.​
"Adding to the pressure to ignore these safety costs was Lee Iacocca's stated goal that the Pinto was not to weigh an ounce over 2,000 pounds and not to cost a cent over $2,000. So, even when a crash test showed that a one-pound, one-dollar piece of plastic prevented the gas tank from being punctured, the alternative was thrown out as extra cost and extra weight."​

So by extrapolation Lee Iacocca's decisions still apply at FoMoCo 50 years later.

Dan Marino went to the super bowl in his rookie season. By extrapolation he played in 18 Superbowls.

tking2422

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Chevy Blazer, 2022 Mustang Mach-e
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

benzapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: 2022 Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
So by extrapolation Lee Iacocca's decisions still apply at FoMoCo 50 years later.

Dan Marino went to the super bowl in his rookie season. By extrapolation he played in 18 Superbowls.
Don't overestimate the role of individual actors. The behavior of institutions is driven by incentives and constraints. In corporate America, the sum of those remains largely unchanged: maximize profit now and in the near term.

Sylon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Dark Matter Grey Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Pardon the stupid question, but how do I find out when my car was manufactured? Mine was purchased off the lot. It was, however, made in Mexico. That much I do know. One of its previously known charging locations was in Cuautitlan.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Pardon the stupid question, but how do I find out when my car was manufactured? Mine was purchased off the lot. It was, however, made in Mexico. That much I do know. One of its previously known charging locations was in Cuautitlan.
Any built up until 5/25/2022 have the possibility of being effected.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The month and year are on the sticker inside the driver's door jamb. All Mach-Es were made in Mexico (except the ones sold in China). If your car is a 2021, it was definitely built before 5/25/2022.
Sponsored