Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just sharing my situation for anyway who might experience something similar:

Last Tuesday morning (prior to knowing about the recall issues), my ‘21 Mach-E GT wouldn’t start/exit park as I attempted to drive to work. I got the “Stop safely now” message. The car had been parked in the garage overnight, not charging. (I do tend to enjoy my car while driving and it has been very hot in Texas, so… 🤷🏾‍♂️)

I looked through forums that morning, but couldn’t find much information outside of recommendations to have it towed to the shop. Because I couldn’t find a fix online and the problem wasn’t fixing itself, I requested roadside assistance via Ford, and my Mach-E was towed to the dealership. (I rode with the tower to help with the emergency tow.)

Exactly seven days later, I read the description of the recall, and it seems to be what is impacting my car. I’ve been stalking my car on FordPass and, while there had gotten no negative status alerts ever, I received several alerts after reading about the recall (images attached). The status has since reverted to all clear, but I’ve not received any updates from the dealership’s service center.

Fortunately, I’m in a Ford Edge loaner until my car is good to go, but I need my Mach-E back soon! 🤒

188474EE-3AEC-41B8-8897-4C674A60990E.jpeg

CFEE5A49-BD58-477A-B5C9-87AE499C0CEB.jpeg

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I believe I have a very controversial opinion… I still love my MME and am a big fan of ford. My car hasn’t broken yet, I’ll worry about it if it ever happens.
There are a few people here fanning the flames because they have a need to prove their flux capacitor is bigger than everyone else’s. A lot of people on this thread are genuinely concerned because they do not understand the problem nor the proposed solution. A few others are only interested in how many times they can stomp on the pedals.

Most of us are like you. Great car, and here because this is the only forum we know where we can actually debate quarters of a year and when they start.

wait for the notices to rollout. Wait for the PowerUp fix. If the fix seems too extreme to anyone, complain at that time with logical arguments and some data. Don’t peak too in the complaining, you’ll use them all up before their time.

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
how will this affect cars that don’t have a prod date yet? Increase or further delay? I’m 4 months in and was expecting to receive a scheduled date soon for late Aug.

Will I be moved to 2023 models then?
Same!!

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
If the system doesn't have the ability or due to legal reasons not be allowed to have automatic push for certain systems regardless of update setting. It will need some form of fail safe to cover a situation where someone who only manually updates once in a blue moon could grab an update that turns out to have issues then not know about needing to get the fix until the next time they check for updates.

Shame the notification is being used to spam you instead of just being used in cases of critical update situations :(.
Isn't the failsafe the physical letter they're sending to owners?

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
Since telsa tried a software fix and was sued I think it's clear ford knows what will happen if they try that...
Sorry if this was posted in this thread already, but do you have a link about that situation?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Isn't the failsafe the physical letter they're sending to owners?
I was talking more in general terms in regards to the OTA system needing a fail safe method in the event an OTA update needs patching as it was found to have issues, if you have updates set to automatic then not a problem but could be for people that only do selective manual updates once in a while and ended up getting a bad one.

As there is the ability to send notifications regardless of the users automatic update settings this would cover that case by enabling a warning notification to be sent telling the user needs to do an update. With the rather pedestrian approach Ford has taken with OTA so far, I doubt this is going to be something people will have to worry about for a long time yet.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As per FAQ, if I avoid DC (CCS) fast charging and don't have "repeated wide open pedal events".. I should be good, right? :)

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/06/15/mustang-mach-e-recall-faq.html
Q. What is the cause of the issue? 

A. The design and part-to-part variation of the high voltage battery main relay switch is not robust to the heat generated during DC fast charging and multiple wide open pedal events.

---------

I really hate speculating, but between the nature of the root cause and its description of the software solution, the outcome is likely to be disappointing.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
It's funny, had my MME 2months, previous car was a recalled bolt. Had to leave it outside 6 months, but they ended up making us all whole and then some. So if they have to start replacing hardware we might make out well
What do you mean they made us all whole? There are still a bunch of people with neutered batteries and whom are still waiting on new ones. Then, they drop their price by $6k at a very suspicious and delicate time during that process crippling what little equity was left in the EV or EUV line. Not to mention the myriad of people waiting on buybacks or swaps who frankly deserve it because GM totally screwed the pooch on initial fixes and messaging things and then allowed dealers to force battery neutering when addressing other issues on the car.

The only thing GM did right was offer to eventually replace batteries when it was clear their software coverup failed pathetically and to also extend a warranty to that new part (which is basically required by federal law to be warrantied that long). As a former Bolt EV and EUV owner this Mach E recall has me suffering PTSD, what with software fixes that are going to fix hardware issues magically. If your contactors have pitted and/or arced, you're clock is ticking. No software update will prevent that inevitable failure. Likewise, if they are overheating and that's the failure mode, the solution is most likely less heat and less current and therefore less performance. Starting to sound/smell like GM everyday from that perspective as I drove around for over a year with 20% less battery capacity...

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It’s 100% hardware. Not sure how you can see this as a software issue. The software is being used to cut power as a bandaid to an engineering mistake.
You are right on that, I am glad a failure can be averted for many by software. To your point the hardware is not robust enough and prone to failure when over stressed. It sounds like what we are going to end up with is a limiter due to the engineering design flaw. My guess is that Ford would rather not have to go to the expense of replacing everyones part. So software it will be and we have to live with it.

My statement was that I am happy the issue can minimized via software because getting parts replaced quickly is not possible right now. However after I posted that I was thinking along the same lines. We all could be stuck with MME's that are limited by software just like the 5 seconds of the GT. So no I am not happy about this at all.

Im still with 2 recalls that my dealer is not fixing right now and frankly I have read some horror stories.

However I still love my MME and wouldn't trade it in.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
While the Ford worshippers try to justify all this circus, this was posted. Anybody feeling disrespected by uncle Jim today?
😡
They want to be sued, apparently.

Screenshot_20220616-064921_Twitter.jpg

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
While the Ford worshippers try to justify all these circus, this was posted. Anybody feeling disrespected by uncle Jim, today?
I am afraid the MME will not recover from this clown show. Ford just keeps downplaying and covering up the issue. It's the Bolt all over. Yes, there are some fanboys that will never admit anything is wrong.

I have already had both coworkers and family ask me about this. It has gotten out of hand.

Just like Tesla will never escape "panel gaps" no matter how much they improve, and Bolt will never escape "fire". Public perception doesn't change.

Very sad.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I am afraid the MME will not recover from this clown show. Ford just keeps downplaying and covering up the issue. It's the Bolt all over. Yes, there are some fanboys that will never admit anything is wrong.

I have already had both coworkers and family ask me about this. It has gotten out of hand.

Just like Tesla will never escape "panel gaps" no matter how much they improve, and Bolt will never escape "fire". Public perception doesn't change.

Very sad.
I would be more concerned if I were a fleet buyer for F150 and Transits. Is this a common part or do the trucks already have better contacts?

One has to wonder if a higher voltage architecture avoids these heat issues as they run on lower current?

Car makers have to learn some new rules here, for what it is worth Tesla has quite a big head start on those rules and the legacy makers will just have to eat it as they make mistakes and learn.
Sponsored