Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last updated 6/14/22
DO NOT CALL YOUR DEALER TO SCHEDULE SERVICE! PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!!

At the bottom of this post I have added information to help people understand what is going on.

NOTE: NOT ALL VEHICLES ARE AFFECTED NECESSARILY. VIN lists will be distributed when the time comes. Please be patient. Just know Ford has recognized this problem exists and it is a safety related issue. No action should be done at this time from any Mach E owner.

It's finally here! This is the recall for the HVBJB issues people have been having. Note this is an ADVANCE NOTICE recall meaning no fix is available but Ford has identified a problem! It is safe to continue driving your car in my opinion.

Anyone with an affected VIN that hasn't taken delivery of their car yet...I'm sorry but if it was built before May 24th you won't be able to until at least Q3.

You will be notified in the mail if you have an affected vehicle when parts/software updates are available! Do not call the dealer now!

Bulletin to dealers below:
------------------------
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Advance Notice - Safety Recall 22S41
Certain 2021-2022 Model Year Mustang Mach-E Vehicles
Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDMC) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) Software Update

Affected Vehicles: Certain 20201-2022 Mustang Mach E's produced at Cuautitlan between May 27, 2020 and May 24, 2022.

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In the affected vehicles, it is possible that the high voltage battery main contactors may overheat, which can result in an open contactor or welding condition. Should the contactors weld closed while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated on the next drive cycle, along with a no start condition.
If the contactors open while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated, the vehicle will display Stop Safely Now in the instrument panel cluster, and the vehicle will experience an immediate loss of motive power. The vehicle will coast to a stop, and all 12V systems including power brakes and steering will remain functional.
SERVICE ACTION
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 3rd quarter of 2022 when it is anticipated that software and/or parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published. Opening an RO against an Awareness or Advance Notice will result in warranty rejections against a recall.
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information have been provided to dealers.

PDF HERE:

View attachment r22S41AN.pdf
----------------------------
Another Note from me: This thread is just to help people become informed. There are NO publicly released FACTS about this issue. Anything is speculation. Please wait for Ford to notify you and release more information.

What we do think we know. NOTE THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL FORD STATEMENTS THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON INFORMATION I HAVE GATHERED ON THIS FORUM!
What is the HVBJB?
HVBJB is the assembly that has contactors, fuses, and some other electrical components at the front inside of the battery pack. This connects the DCFC to the HVB as well as the rest of the car when it is turned on.

What is the problem?
The HVBJB contactors can get in a stuck open or stuck closed state. From reading failures on the forum I have gathered that MOST failures are the + contactor that powers the whole car welding closed due to excessive heat. If this happens the car will not turn off while driving but will not restart.

Why is this a safety recall?
If the contactor gets stuck open while driving the car will lose its propulsion and 12v battery charging. This could be dangerous. If it gets stuck closed it is unlikely to cause an unsafe condition, but if both the + and - become stuck closed then the battery cannot be isolated which can be dangerous. Therefore the vehicle will not restart if one is stuck closed.

Am I a part of the recall?
We don't know yet. You need to wait for Ford to notify you. There is no reason to look now, though you can find out with Ford chat or running your vin in Ford ETIS. I do not recommend calling your dealer at this time unless your vehicle has a drivability issue. It appears possibly every single Mach E built before May 24, 2022 may be impacted but it is unknown at this time.

What is the fix?
Exact fix for each vehicle is unknown. It appears a new HVBJB part may be required, a software update may be required, or both. We do not know and will not know until Ford releases more information.

What should I do now?
Absolutely nothing. Continue driving your car. The only advice I can give is especially if you have a GT/GT Performance model try to avoid a lot of high speed driving (90MPH+) and try to do your best to be easy on the throttle. Back to back full throttle applications can generate a lot of heat in the battery components including the HVBJB and heat seems to be the largest cause of this failure. Again this is MY OPINION, not any facts given to us from Ford.

When can I expect more information?
Great question! Ford says fix coming Q3...but from what I've gathered its most likely late August at the earliest we will see something. I would expect more information released when the fix is available around then. Patience is a virtue now. I will update this with the latest information as it is released.

Also guys I wouldn't hold your breath on this removing the 5 second power limit for the GT. I believe there are other limitations of the battery pack causing that.
Ok, this problem not related to charging w/240VAC or HI-VOLT DC and/or charge duration.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I was talking more in general terms in regards to the OTA system needing a fail safe method in the event an OTA update needs patching as it was found to have issues, if you have updates set to automatic then not a problem but could be for people that only do selective manual updates once in a while and ended up getting a bad one.

As there is the ability to send notifications regardless of the users automatic update settings this would cover that case by enabling a warning notification to be sent telling the user needs to do an update. With the rather pedestrian approach Ford has taken with OTA so far, I doubt this is going to be something people will have to worry about for a long time yet.
Even with Auto OTA turned off.....the notices still appear. If the OTA is urgent then the release notes would likely have that in the description and the user could then decide to accept it. Same as getting a notice in the mail IMO....

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
CarFax just sent me an email about the recall for my VIN - nothing in my FordPass app yet though.

Iwtsyb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach e
Country flag
I wouldn't read too much into running it right now since I have a feeling ALL Mach E VINs for the US were added to the stop sale and it will not be until the official recall notice is generated to owners that the actual VINs that are affected will be known.
It shipped in a reasonable amount of time. The shipping of the car took much longer than expected. 87 days to get from Mexico to Utah

New Edge

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Cobra KB 2.2, 22 MB GLB 250, 22 GTPE on order
Country flag
Your dealership is awful.

Is this the GM? Head of Service? Or the lowly sales grunt you're buying from.
I don’t disagree that my dealership is awful lmao. Don’t have much to support it either way but they feel kinda useless.
It was my sales grunt who relayed this to me after he was informed that by the person who handles recalls. Also prob a random grunt. I’m finding their timeline hard to believe but that’s why I come here to keep me sane. (Though that’s questionable after reading pages of insanity here rofl)

cvk71

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ, 1962 Ranchero,
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
There are so few details here that I'm reduced to parsing wording, but it would be good to know if the phrase "DC fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events" means you need to do BOTH of these to get the problem to occur. It could also mean that EITHER of these behaviors separately cause the problem.
When mine died I hadn't DCFC in over a month and I had only driven 3 miles from work.

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
What do you mean they made us all whole? There are still a bunch of people with neutered batteries and whom are still waiting on new ones. Then, they drop their price by $6k at a very suspicious and delicate time during that process crippling what little equity was left in the EV or EUV line. Not to mention the myriad of people waiting on buybacks or swaps who frankly deserve it because GM totally screwed the pooch on initial fixes and messaging things and then allowed dealers to force battery neutering when addressing other issues on the car.

The only thing GM did right was offer to eventually replace batteries when it was clear their software coverup failed pathetically and to also extend a warranty to that new part (which is basically required by federal law to be warrantied that long). As a former Bolt EV and EUV owner this Mach E recall has me suffering PTSD, what with software fixes that are going to fix hardware issues magically. If your contactors have pitted and/or arced, you're clock is ticking. No software update will prevent that inevitable failure. Likewise, if they are overheating and that's the failure mode, the solution is most likely less heat and less current and therefore less performance. Starting to sound/smell like GM everyday from that perspective as I drove around for over a year with 20% less battery capacity...
They responded somewhere in the previous 66 pages. Basically the gist is they traded in their 2 yr old car with a huge over MSRP credit because of the issue and then traded that truck in for the MME.

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
68 pages? Can anyone honestly say they’ve been reading every post in this dumpster fire?
Every single one. Even all the ones talking about the tech and science-y type stuff that I don’t understand.

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
OUCH! So your car was built...but then did not ship for 3 months? I am wondering if this whole recall/stop sale thing is going to mean a complete shutdown of production/shipping? I am losing hope I will ever see mine and thinking about putting in reservations for other cars as a hedge.
Chill. My 5/23 week build got held up. It got built this week and has now shipped. No recall. ETA is end of July.

Steady Eddie

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Last updated 6/14/22

At the bottom of this post I have added information to help people understand what is going on.

NOTE: NOT ALL VEHICLES ARE AFFECTED NECESSARILY. VIN lists will be distributed when the time comes. Please be patient. Just know Ford has recognized this problem exists and it is a safety related issue. No action should be done at this time from any Mach E owner.

It's finally here! This is the recall for the HVBJB issues people have been having. Note this is an ADVANCE NOTICE recall meaning no fix is available but Ford has identified a problem! It is safe to continue driving your car in my opinion.

Anyone with an affected VIN that hasn't taken delivery of their car yet...I'm sorry but if it was built before May 24th you won't be able to until at least Q3.

You will be notified in the mail if you have an affected vehicle when parts/software updates are available! Do not call the dealer now!

------------------------
SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Advance Notice - Safety Recall 22S41
Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDMC) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) Software Update

Affected Vehicles: Certain 20201-2022 Mustang Mach E's produced at Cuautitlan between May 27, 2020 and May 24, 2022.

In the affected vehicles, it is possible that the high voltage battery main contactors may overheat, which can result in an open contactor or welding condition. Should the contactors weld closed while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated on the next drive cycle, along with a no start condition.
If the contactors open while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated, the vehicle will display Stop Safely Now in the instrument panel cluster, and the vehicle will experience an immediate loss of motive power. The vehicle will coast to a stop, and all 12V systems including power brakes and steering will remain functional.
SERVICE ACTION
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 3rd quarter of 2022 when it is anticipated that software and/or parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published. Opening an RO against an Awareness or Advance Notice will result in warranty rejections against a recall.
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information have been provided to dealers.

PDF HERE:

Another Note from me: This thread is just to help people become informed. There are NO publicly released FACTS about this issue. Anything is speculation. Please wait for Ford to notify you and release more information.

What we do think we know. NOTE THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL FORD STATEMENTS THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON INFORMATION I HAVE GATHERED ON THIS FORUM!
What is the HVBJB?
HVBJB is the assembly that has contactors, fuses, and some other electrical components at the front inside of the battery pack. This connects the DCFC to the HVB as well as the rest of the car when it is turned on.

What is the problem?
The HVBJB contactors can get in a stuck open or stuck closed state. From reading failures on the forum I have gathered that MOST failures are the + contactor that powers the whole car welding closed due to excessive heat. If this happens the car will not turn off while driving but will not restart.

If the contactor gets stuck open while driving the car will lose its propulsion and 12v battery charging. This could be dangerous. If it gets stuck closed it is unlikely to cause an unsafe condition, but if both the + and - become stuck closed then the battery cannot be isolated which can be dangerous. Therefore the vehicle will not restart if one is stuck closed.

We don't know yet. You need to wait for Ford to notify you. There is no reason to look now, though you can find out with Ford chat or running your vin in Ford ETIS. I do not recommend calling your dealer at this time unless your vehicle has a drivability issue. It appears possibly every single Mach E built before May 24, 2022 may be impacted but it is unknown at this time.

What is the fix?
Exact fix for each vehicle is unknown. It appears a new HVBJB part may be required, a software update may be required, or both. We do not know and will not know until Ford releases more information.

What should I do now?
Absolutely nothing. Continue driving your car. The only advice I can give is especially if you have a GT/GT Performance model try to avoid a lot of high speed driving (90MPH+) and try to do your best to be easy on the throttle. Back to back full throttle applications can generate a lot of heat in the battery components including the HVBJB and heat seems to be the largest cause of this failure. Again this is MY OPINION, not any facts given to us from Ford.

Great question! Ford says fix coming Q3...but from what I've gathered its most likely late August at the earliest we will see something. I would expect more information released when the fix is available around then. Patience is a virtue now. I will update this with the latest information as it is released.

Also guys I wouldn't hold your breath on this removing the 5 second power limit for the GT. I believe there are other limitations of the battery pack causing that.
Last updated 6/14/22

------------------------

SERVICE ACTION
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

PDF HERE:

What is the HVBJB?

What is the problem?

What is the fix?

What should I do now?

I ordered my car in late July. Was set to pick it up Monday, now the recall prevents delivery. Build was Jan 18, first delivery estimate was March, second estimate was May 1, third was June 1. 4th was July 1. Now I expect 3d quarter is likely to mean I’ll get it in September, just when most 2023 models come out. Not a lot to love here.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Now I expect 3d quarter is likely to mean I’ll get it in September, just when most 2023 models come out.
The OTA fix is tentatively slated for July. If that holds, there's very little reason to suspect your sale and deliverywill be delayed until September.

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My Select was scheduled for production in the week of 5/23/22. On 5/27/22 it shown built. I am sure it wasn't built in one day. The affected ones by this recall are the ones before 5/24/22. If mine stated production on 5/23/22 then I guess mine could be affected.

Better to find out from my dealer, but the car is still in shipping.
If you're comfortable posting your VIN, it might begin to give us a clue about which VINs have been fixed and which are subject to recall.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] 1655418350677

Of course, Ford will give us the recalled VINs when they notify buyers in middle July. (Right now, there's much uncertainty about the cause of the delay in completion of MME units starting in late May.)
Sponsored

Last edited: