Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
OTA updates may happen before you get yours scheduled at the dealership. I'm sure they will do in-dealership updates for delayed deliveries before taking in cars already in customers' hands.
I think they'll do both things.

Obviously the dealers are required by law to do the updates prior to delivery, and since it's only two modules and would likely take less than 1 hour to do both, they could do customers cars while they are waiting (and playing with the buttons on the limited edition showroom Mach 1 selling for MSRP+25k ADM).

And given that things like having to have a 12V battery with 80% SOC before an OTA kicks off, and the fact that '21 Job 2 cars still can't schedule OTA updates for more than one day a week, etc....it's gonna be dealer techs and 'privateers' that get this done. Unless the rumored giant, universal, comprehensive, and totally all-encompassing OTA for Job 2s (cue the chorus) comes out in the very near term.

Just spitballin' here...
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I have zero faith in Ford's OTA program. Looks like its a trip to the dreaded dealer for me to get this in any reasonable time frame. I wonder now when the dealers will start accepting customers in.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have zero faith in Ford's OTA program. Looks like its a trip to the dreaded dealer for me to get this in any reasonable time frame. I wonder now when the dealers will start accepting customers in.
You are DOOMED!!! But..umm is next week good for you?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] giphyDoom

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
OTA updates may happen before you get yours scheduled at the dealership. I'm sure they will do in-dealership updates for delayed deliveries before taking in cars already in customers' hands.
I'd like to think so because this seems entirely logical. But with NHTSA and Ford Legal in the mix, who really knows? Ford, I guess, and they aren't saying.

Early October order. Originally scheduled build date first week of April, production pushed to second week of April, not completed until second week of May. In transit since then. Dealership says the car is now at the regional distribution center. Delivery window opens next week.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
It came up because someone was ragging on GM over their handling of the Bolt recall and how much worse that was then how Ford is handling this one.
More specifically how terrible the Bolt's "software" fix was that did not really fix anything. Jury is still out if Ford's "sofware" fix will be better or worse than the GM "software" fix. If the Ford fix reduces performance more than the already limiting 5 second issue....we are doomed.

Iwtsyb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach e
Country flag
anybody else who has a car sitting at the dealer waiting for this recall to be completed before delivery notice that their car shows delivered and the warranty period has begun?

This vehicle has already been delivered. Please visit our owner properties to learn more about your vehicle!

Hardly seems fair Ford can call it delivered and start the warranty when I can't pick it up due to a safety recall.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] Warranty start date

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
anybody else who has a car sitting at the dealer waiting for this recall to be completed before delivery notice that their car shows delivered and the warranty period has begun?

This vehicle has already been delivered. Please visit our owner properties to learn more about your vehicle!

Hardly seems fair Ford can call it delivered and start the warranty when I can't pick it up due to a safety recall.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] Warranty start date
Well, did you already complete the sales contract? You definitely shouldn't have done that if they wouldn't let you take delivery...

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
More specifically how terrible the Bolt's "software" fix was that did not really fix anything. Jury is still out if Ford's "sofware" fix will be better or worse than the GM "software" fix. If the Ford fix reduces performance more than the already limiting 5 second issue....we are doomed.
Yup...still...doomed.

No matter what happens. OTA, FDRS, hardware replacement.

Totally screwed. It's all entrophy.

And thanks for all the fish!

Last edited:

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
The point of my post was the Bolt "software fix" was never designed to fix anything. It was designed to flag battery packs with defective cells so they could be replaced before anything bad happened. After fires occurred in a couple of cars with the new software it was clear the software wasn't capturing the defective cells in time. That's when LG had no choice but to pay for 90% of the cost of replacing all the battery packs. The MME issue is very different and so far at least nobody outside of Ford knows for sure what the approach will be.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag

I think Jim Farley tweeted they were still able to deliver the cars, you just don't get to take the car. Sometime in Q3 you get to take the car and use it.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I think Jim Farley tweeted they were still able to deliver the cars, you just don't get to take the car. Sometime in Q3 you get to take the car and use it.
Yeah, but I don't see how that is legal. It is very clear that it is ILLEGAL for dealers to sell NEW cars with an active recall. Like 100% illegal.

He has to mean they can deliver them to the dealer, but the dealer has to just sit on them until the recall is fixed.

schulmeia

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach e
Occupation
Nuclear Engineer
Country flag
Last updated 6/14/22
DO NOT CALL YOUR DEALER TO SCHEDULE SERVICE! PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!!

At the bottom of this post I have added information to help people understand what is going on.

NOTE: NOT ALL VEHICLES ARE AFFECTED NECESSARILY. VIN lists will be distributed when the time comes. Please be patient. Just know Ford has recognized this problem exists and it is a safety related issue. No action should be done at this time from any Mach E owner.

It's finally here! This is the recall for the HVBJB issues people have been having. Note this is an ADVANCE NOTICE recall meaning no fix is available but Ford has identified a problem! It is safe to continue driving your car in my opinion.

Anyone with an affected VIN that hasn't taken delivery of their car yet...I'm sorry but if it was built before May 24th you won't be able to until at least Q3.

You will be notified in the mail if you have an affected vehicle when parts/software updates are available! Do not call the dealer now!

Bulletin to dealers below:
------------------------
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Advance Notice - Safety Recall 22S41
Certain 2021-2022 Model Year Mustang Mach-E Vehicles
Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDMC) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) Software Update

Affected Vehicles: Certain 20201-2022 Mustang Mach E's produced at Cuautitlan between May 27, 2020 and May 24, 2022.

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In the affected vehicles, it is possible that the high voltage battery main contactors may overheat, which can result in an open contactor or welding condition. Should the contactors weld closed while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated on the next drive cycle, along with a no start condition.
If the contactors open while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated, the vehicle will display Stop Safely Now in the instrument panel cluster, and the vehicle will experience an immediate loss of motive power. The vehicle will coast to a stop, and all 12V systems including power brakes and steering will remain functional.
SERVICE ACTION
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 3rd quarter of 2022 when it is anticipated that software and/or parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published. Opening an RO against an Awareness or Advance Notice will result in warranty rejections against a recall.
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information have been provided to dealers.

PDF HERE:

View attachment r22S41AN.pdf
----------------------------
Another Note from me: This thread is just to help people become informed. There are NO publicly released FACTS about this issue. Anything is speculation. Please wait for Ford to notify you and release more information.

What we do think we know. NOTE THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL FORD STATEMENTS THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON INFORMATION I HAVE GATHERED ON THIS FORUM!
What is the HVBJB?
HVBJB is the assembly that has contactors, fuses, and some other electrical components at the front inside of the battery pack. This connects the DCFC to the HVB as well as the rest of the car when it is turned on.

What is the problem?
The HVBJB contactors can get in a stuck open or stuck closed state. From reading failures on the forum I have gathered that MOST failures are the + contactor that powers the whole car welding closed due to excessive heat. If this happens the car will not turn off while driving but will not restart.

Why is this a safety recall?
If the contactor gets stuck open while driving the car will lose its propulsion and 12v battery charging. This could be dangerous. If it gets stuck closed it is unlikely to cause an unsafe condition, but if both the + and - become stuck closed then the battery cannot be isolated which can be dangerous. Therefore the vehicle will not restart if one is stuck closed.

Am I a part of the recall?
We don't know yet. You need to wait for Ford to notify you. There is no reason to look now, though you can find out with Ford chat or running your vin in Ford ETIS. I do not recommend calling your dealer at this time unless your vehicle has a drivability issue. It appears possibly every single Mach E built before May 24, 2022 may be impacted but it is unknown at this time.

What is the fix?
Exact fix for each vehicle is unknown. It appears a new HVBJB part may be required, a software update may be required, or both. We do not know and will not know until Ford releases more information.

What should I do now?
Absolutely nothing. Continue driving your car. The only advice I can give is especially if you have a GT/GT Performance model try to avoid a lot of high speed driving (90MPH+) and try to do your best to be easy on the throttle. Back to back full throttle applications can generate a lot of heat in the battery components including the HVBJB and heat seems to be the largest cause of this failure. Again this is MY OPINION, not any facts given to us from Ford.

When can I expect more information?
Great question! Ford says fix coming Q3...but from what I've gathered its most likely late August at the earliest we will see something. I would expect more information released when the fix is available around then. Patience is a virtue now. I will update this with the latest information as it is released.

Also guys I wouldn't hold your breath on this removing the 5 second power limit for the GT. I believe there are other limitations of the battery pack causing that.
My dealer got back to me yesterday and indicated for my already purchased premium and it was only a software fix. My question to him if it's only a software fix why does it take until the 3rd quarter to get it out to all owners? Seems to me the fix must be already known since vehicles built after May 24 must already have it.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer got back to me yesterday and indicated for my already purchased premium and it was only a software fix. My question to him if it's only a software fix why does it take until the 3rd quarter to get it out to all owners? Seems to me the fix must be already known since vehicles built after May 24 must already have it.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] SurveySays

cvk71

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ, 1962 Ranchero,
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
Is this one of those tricky dealer mods we discover when we pick up our MME? "Hey, I didn't order tinted windows, nitrogen in tires, or chicken wings"!
At least this would be worth paying for unlike the dealer installed "security package"

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Two theories on this.

1. It isn't just a software fix. The new vehicles built got new hardware (and will get the software too at a later date), the new software is designed to just predict when a failure will happen and alert a customer before they're stranded.

2. They're working on the details to get it actually out OTA and that's why it isn't released. Testing OTA deployments and possibly needing other software updates to supplement it.

That is my two theories but who knows.
Sponsored